Petrol to be £2.00 per

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

Just seen on the news, that petrol is due to hit the £2.00 p.l. soon, the highest it's been.
What would you do to get this Country back on line, have we gone far too much P.C. and try and get the Taxes on petrol reduced, and many other items that are taxed to the hilt.

I once said at work, that I will soon be better off having my Income Tax, and letting the Tax Office keep my wages.
Just got my latest code from them, even though there will be no extra money coming in, I will be paying more tax.

Lincoln .7

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

A bit of perspective here, I think Linc. We all understand that whilst there is instability due to events in North Africa and elsewhere oil prices will rise and so will all downstream products. Bear in mind that anything manufactured from naphtha will be affected from toys to packaging and clothing. It is speculation anyway because we do not know where prices will end up but equally they will come down again.

The key to it is the government's promise on a fuel regulator to soften the effects of the oil price rise. We have not heard much about it, although we can probably expect something in the Budget.

Member for

17 years 6 months

What on earth has PC got to do with petrol prices? Answer: nothing at all.

The answer to high petrol prices is to reduce our dependency on OPEC produced oil. They are adjusting output and prices to maximize profits at the expense of the Western economy. Libya produces less than 5% of OPEC's ouptut so should have a minimal effect on price. If there are problems in the rest of the Middle East though, that might be a differnt story. Having said that, the first Gulf War did not have much effect on oil prices. Why is this?

Osborne dumped the fuel price stablizer early in his tenure. He may delay the 1p duty rise in the budget - that'll be about all. He needs the revenue too much to drastically reduce taxes.

Member for

13 years 9 months

A bit of perspective here, I think Linc. We all understand that whilst there is instability due to events in North Africa and elsewhere oil prices will rise and so will all downstream products. Bear in mind that anything manufactured from naphtha will be affected from toys to packaging and clothing. It is speculation anyway because we do not know where prices will end up but equally they will come down again.

The key to it is the government's promise on a fuel regulator to soften the effects of the oil price rise. We have not heard much about it, although we can probably expect something in the Budget.

When I see pigs fly past, then I will believe what any Government say, why do we allways fall for it?.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 9 months

What on earth has PC got to do with petrol prices? Answer: nothing at all.

The answer to high petrol prices is to reduce our dependency on OPEC produced oil. They are adjusting output and prices to maximize profits at the expense of the Western economy. Libya produces less than 5% of OPEC's ouptut so should have a minimal effect on price. If there are problems in the rest of the Middle East though, that might be a differnt story. Having said that, the first Gulf War did not have much effect on oil prices. Why is this?

Osborne dumped the fuel price stablizer early in his tenure. He may delay the 1p duty rise in the budget - that'll be about all. He needs the revenue too much to drastically reduce taxes.

Arthur. My reply is the same as I gave to Sky High, yes I am well aware that the trouble in the far East will undoubtedly have an effect on the economy worldwide no doubt in some shape or form, but I am afraid I have heard them make too many pre election promises that they have failed to keep.to beleive them anymore. And I would guess I am not the only one who thinks like this. As regards whats P.C. got to do with this, read the Post, what religeon are we this year, there are too many spongers in this country, and if there were not, we would have more money to help our own, and possibly all pay less taxes, and pay less for lots of things like NHS Prescriptions which have just gone up again.

Lincoln .7
;)

Member for

14 years 5 months

True,but they are different things, Linc, surely. The fact that the oil price is rising has nothing to do with this government or any other UK government. How it will act to reduce the effect of petrol price rises is yet to be seen.

Member for

19 years 11 months

And I would guess I am not the only one who thinks like this.
I wouldn't imagine there are too many other people who blame high petrol prices on illegal immigrants.
As regards whats P.C. got to do with this, read the Post, what religeon are we this year, there are too many spongers in this country, and if there were not, we would have more money to help our own, and possibly all pay less taxes, and pay less for lots of things like NHS Prescriptions which have just gone up again.
Ah, so now high petrol prices are the fault of 'spongers'.

Make your mind up, mate. :)

In the meantime, the oil companies' profits rise and rise and rise. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

And you keep chucking the abbreviation "PC" about today. What on earth does it actually mean?

Member for

13 years 9 months

True,but they are different things, Linc, surely. The fact that the oil price is rising has nothing to do with this government or any other UK government. How it will act to reduce the effect of petrol price rises is yet to be seen.

Pete, I realise this.But don't agree 100% in you stating this has nothing to do with this or any other Government is a bit, how can I put it?, crappy, thats it, inasmuch as they will slap more tax on the price, I feel it's a case of "Lets hit the motorist" again. It has been proved the Government could reduce the price of petrol and diesel if they wanted to, but when they have such a golden goose, why should they?.

Lincoln .7:rolleyes:

Member for

14 years 5 months

Well BP have got a bit of catching up to do, after Obama helped to empty the kitty....;)

Member for

18 years 1 month

Cameron's britain :mad:

Member for

14 years 5 months

:confused:

Member for

13 years 9 months

I wouldn't imagine there are too many other people who blame high petrol prices on illegal immigrants.
Ah, so now high petrol prices are the fault of 'spongers'.

Make your mind up, mate. :)

In the meantime, the oil companies' profits rise and rise and rise. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

And you keep chucking the abbreviation "PC" about today. What on earth does it actually mean?

G.A. Your far to intellegent to ask what P.C. means, unless you think it means Police Constable?.
I think you have misinterpreted what I mean about spongers, if we didn't have to pay so much for spongers , illegal aliens,(Not from outer space either)
and benefit cheats, then ergo we should in theory have more money in the kitty. and by being Prudent, we could, if we had the right people in Parliament lead quite a comfortable life.
For once, as I know you just love an argument, I agree with you, even though Obama made B.P pay all that money for the oil leak, they stil posted profits of well over a Billion Pounds GB.
I know there excuse is that a lot of their profits go on further exploration etc, but c'mon, they could still knock some off the price of a barrel.
I remember very clearly, once when it was stated that if the price went above 32$ per barrel, the world would go into economic meltdown.
Now you answer this question. Why is it we only hear from you, mainly when I am on line?.;)
Lincoln .7
:diablo:

Member for

19 years 11 months

Why is it we only hear from you, mainly when I am on line?

I'm not sure I like the implication in that sentence. If you have a problem with the way that this forum is moderated, take it up with the Webmaster.

Member for

14 years 5 months

It is worth reminding ourselves that oil rose from a level of about $18 during the 60s to over $100 in the mid-late 70s, exacerbated by the Yom Kippur war and subsequent embargoes. And $100 then was serious money!

Member for

13 years 9 months

I'm not sure I like the implication in that sentence. If you have a problem with the way that this forum is moderated, take it up with the Webmaster.

G.A. It was a joke for gawds sake, I was agreeing with you, I have no problem whatsoever with you, it's just seems we have a friendly banter when we are both on and I have made a posting. And I thought I was tetchy;)

Lincoln .7

Member for

16 years 10 months

unrelated I know, but do you ever post in the aircraft sections?

It is after all an aviation forum :cool:

Member for

13 years

It could in the near future mean the rise in price's of airshows due to fuel costs?

With regards to everything else is said i can see where Lincoln 7 is coming from. With more people in work and less sponging off those of us that work hard and pay taxes we'd be far better off. but when someone earns more money on benefits than they would with a normal 9-5 job are we suprised?

But also a result is bad management. Today I've read of the MOD paying £22 for a 65p bulb... and a stupid amount for screw that cost a few quid? with management like this and stupid contracts where it costs us more to cancel them than carry on are we suprised at the £38 billion defeciet left for the MOD? these rediculous contracts (under a labour government but I'm not getting into any arguements) should be scrapped or at least reviewed wholey. Once again beaurocracy plays too big a role iin this country, from the lowest point right upto the pinacle of power

Rant over lol :)

Member for

14 years

Israel, US and GB should run the mid east. End of.
The arab states have never been, and never will be, stable enough to manage a commodity as valuable as oil.

And the petrol prices hit me more than most of you, as I drive a luxury car with a decent lump in it.

So, I'm quite a campaigner for the abolishment of the fuel tax (And for the fact that it will actually spur the economy so much you'd have to hang on to yer hat!).
To pay for the lack of the fuel tax, stop subsidising the laughable asylum seekers, the immigrants which do not add to the economy. Don't buy the A400M or any more Typhoons. We need a Bomb truck full of smarts these days not a 1980's fighter. Wipe out the grid square on day 1.
Manage the NHS properly, manage the central Government properly. The list goes on and on wrt waste.
Managing waste is the hard bit, so they don't bother, all they bother with looking after their inflated wage until next election. Doing as little as possible in the meantime is the job description, line 1.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Sarcasm noted, and YES i have posted on the aircraft section, but a good discussion or debate, lets us all bring to each other very diverse subjects. I can't say I am interested in how how much fuel a Tiger Moth would use if it flew around the perimeter of my local airfield,until it ran out, but I am interested to know how MY Taxes are being wasted.
Perhaps your so well off, that you are fortunate enough not to have to count the pennies!

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 9 months

It could in the near future mean the rise in price's of airshows due to fuel costs?

With regards to everything else is said i can see where Lincoln 7 is coming from. With more people in work and less sponging off those of us that work hard and pay taxes we'd be far better off. but when someone earns more money on benefits than they would with a normal 9-5 job are we suprised?

But also a result is bad management. Today I've read of the MOD paying £22 for a 65p bulb... and a stupid amount for screw that cost a few quid? with management like this and stupid contracts where it costs us more to cancel them than carry on are we suprised at the £38 billion defeciet left for the MOD? these rediculous contracts (under a labour government but I'm not getting into any arguements) should be scrapped or at least reviewed wholey. Once again beaurocracy plays too big a role iin this country, from the lowest point right upto the pinacle of power

Rant over lol :)

At last, somewon on the same wavelength:)

Lincoln .7
:diablo:

Member for

16 years 10 months

L.7

it wasn't sarcastic :)

Ben