An amazing discovery.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

With both my Dad and Uncle quite poorly at the moment I haven't had much time to do much of anything. But needs must and tonight I needed to do some shopping. For time and reasons of proximity I went to Sainsbury's and half an hour later, and a lot lighter than when I arrived, I returned to the care with a newly acquired knowledge. I know why Sainsbury's is quieter than Asda, Morrison's or Tesco.... It's bl**dy expensive!

After paying more than 10p per can extra on a 12 tray of dog food I returned home and broke the bad news to the dog. If he wants to carry on living here he is going to have to go and get himself a job.

Regards,

kev35

Original post

Member for

15 years

I returned home and broke the bad news to the dog. If he wants to carry on living here he is going to have to go and get himself a job.

That's not as daft as it sounds.
Mum and I have been watching a series called Extraordinary Dogs on Channel 5 on Tuesday evenings. It's amazing the various ways dogs can be trained to assist people,it doesn't just end with guide dogs.

I hope the older gentlemen make a quick recovery.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Our cats eat at Lidls now, well not literally, but you get the gist!

Member for

20 years

We have quite a choice of supermarkets in this town..not!

Three tescos, yes three!, one Asda one Sainsbury, and a Lidl.

I wouldnt give Tesco a penny of my money-period.

In Asda you have to practically climb over empty cardboard packaging to get to anything, plus the store is laid out in a weird way. The vegetables seem third rate and the meat always seems on the fatty side.

Lidl is not an option.

There is no longer a high street Butcher, Greengrocer or Fishmonger in the town.

That leaves Sainsbury, who by far, have the best meat and veg quality of any store I have been in. We have never had a bad bit of meat or ever had poor quality fruit or vegetables A tad dearer yes, but also the staff are really friendly and the store is clean.
Denis.
(Main hunter gatherer for the family:))

Member for

15 years 11 months

Our cats eat at Lidls now, well not literally, but you get the gist!

Poor Cats :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Aldi is surprisingly good. I say surprising because they tend to have a section in the centre where all sorts of odd things appear. I bought a trolley jack for the car from there. The food is OK, but could get a bit boring after a while, nothing like the variety of the majors. But the prices are astonishingly low. (Note the £1.99 for a pack of rechargeable AA batteries. I use nothing else in camera or GPS these days.}

My personal preference is for Waitrose. OK the prices are high, but the experience is relaxed and uncrowded, it depends what your priorities are for the day.

Stephen Fry once said "I like Sainsbury. It keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose"

On cat food? Our two younger cats love Asda own-brand Tiger tinned meat. I am a bit worried about the consumption of endangered species by household moggies, but figure since they are already dead anyway I might as well put them to some use.

Moggy

Wishing Kev's Dad and Uncle a speedy recovery too.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Aldi seems to be good for beer and chocolate.

Member for

14 years 5 months

I'll use them if I have to but I have an in-built reaction against multiple retailers, with the possible exceptions of M&S and Waitrose. We are very lucky and have greengrocers and butchers in town and very close by as well as a cheese shop, 4 bakers and a couple of good delis.

Member for

17 years 6 months

We very rarely ‘shop’ for groceries anymore because the best supermarket is.....Ocado! ;)

Member for

14 years 5 months

I don't think I could ever persuade Mrs SH to shop for groceries on-line. She has to see and touch what she buys.;) It will be interesting to see how the future pans out now that Waitrose have gone head to head against Ocado in the on-line shopping market.

Member for

19 years 6 months

I actually quite like Aldi and Lidl, but different stores are better for different things.

When I lived in Leicester I found the market and other independent retailers were able to provide fresh produce of good quality as cheap as anywhere else.

Member for

17 years 6 months

I don't think I could ever persuade Mrs SH to shop for groceries on-line. She has to see and touch what she buys.;)

I suppose that it is a generational thing; I come from a generation that likes food in packaging.

The main deciding factor for online shopping (for us) is time; it is about a forty-five minute round-trip to the nearest supermarket or over an hour round-trip to the nearest Waitrose, Tesco or Aldi (never mind the hours it takes to get round the size of them these days).

Fortunately we live walking-distance from the (last) village shop which nowadays (to survive) has gone all organic and local-produce; it is eye-wateringly expensive but so is the diesel used to get anywhere cheaper.

Member for

14 years 5 months

In your position I would probably feel differently. We also tried to support our village shop when we lived in ther country, just buying selectively but at least patronising it so that others could benefit. There was still a sizable population of old people most of whom had no transport and there was no bus to anywhere.

Member for

17 years 6 months

In your position I would probably feel differently.

How so?

Member for

14 years 5 months

Sorry, that was badly phrased and I think you misunderstood. I meant that were I in your position I would feel differently about it than I do now, and probably be able to persuade Mrs SH of the merits of on-line shopping to save time and diesel.:)

Member for

13 years 11 months

I wouldnt give Tesco a penny of my money-period.

well done , ill walk 5 miles to somewhere else if i was stood at tescos door !!

In Asda you have to practically climb over empty cardboard packaging to get to anything, plus the store is laid out in a weird way. The vegetables seem third rate and the meat always seems on the fatty side.

our asda doesn't seem to have that problem

Lidl is not an option.

it's not so much it isn't an option ( as netto where i live ) they have some superb buys , some better quality than the large boys , i'm sellective and splitt between the two ..

There is no longer a high street Butcher, Greengrocer or Fishmonger in the town.

we're lucky i have 2 superb butchers within walking distance , i won't buy s**t supermarket meat as there is a huge difrence between localy reared animals and correctly treated/ aged meat
i also have the local market for proper veg and occasionaly a farmers market

That leaves Sainsbury, who by far, have the best meat and veg quality of any store I have been in. We have never had a bad bit of meat or ever had poor quality fruit or vegetables A tad dearer yes, but also the staff are really friendly and the store is clean.
Denis.
(Main hunter gatherer for the family:))

i can't vouch for sainsburys as they're not in my area but like any supermarket there will be price considerations governing the real quality of the food

but i'll part with this thaught , i baught a fresh chicken from tesco the other day ( have to shop there for my client ) it was baught on thurs and kept refrigerated it was rancid by sun , a problem i have never encountered when i buy my own from netto !!

Member for

13 years 11 months

I don't think I could ever persuade Mrs SH to shop for groceries on-line. She has to see and touch what she buys.;) It will be interesting to see how the future pans out now that Waitrose have gone head to head against Ocado in the on-line shopping market.

my friends use practicaly nothing but home delivery sure they charge to deliver

but they have saved fuel , done other jobs in the time saved , not had the extra expense of kids throwing things in the trolley , saved potential trolley dings to car bodywork , missed out traffic jams

they actualy say " there are so many positives , you have to be an idiot to actualy enjoy supermarket shopping nowadays !!

Member for

13 years 9 months

I cannot divulge how I know this information, but know for a FACT that one Supermarkets night staff, have as one of their jobs is to look on all their shelves, and if any item is due it's last sell by date the next day, it's unwrapped, re wrapped and a new date label applied.
Lincoln. 7

Member for

17 years 6 months

I generally ignore sell-by-dates on food; I think it is a marketing strategy to get us to throw-out perfectly good food!

Member for

14 years 5 months

I do not doubt your sources, of course:). However it surprises me, having spent a good few years in retail packaging, because the majority of items on the shelves come in packaging applied and ink jet printed by the manufacturer and the supermarket would not have the packaging equipment to repack and redate, and most certainly not by the night shift!

Member for

13 years 11 months

I do not doubt your sources, of course:). However it surprises me, having spent a good few years in retail packaging, because the majority of items on the shelves come in packaging applied and ink jet printed by the manufacturer and the supermarket would not have the packaging equipment to repack and redate, and most certainly not by the night shift!

most deffinately you would need two store rooms one for the products and one for the packaging so cant see that happening unless on the fruit and veg

there are some stores that sell out of date ex supermarket foods at huge discount from warehouses if you search them out !!

but having said that in the last week i have even thrown fruit out baught in tescos even though it was refrigerated and after only 3 days