Scammer monitoring the forum

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

Hi Guys

we appear to have a scammer monitoring what people are looking for.We have been contacted by a guy calling himself "Wolf".

You may recall we put out an enquiry looking for a wartime aircraft transporter.

This guy contacted us last week saying he had just what we want,He named a price that was ridiculously low for the type of vehicle and trailer we want,he claimed it was in good order etc,etc.And we would not be dissapointed.

Just send him X amount of money and if we did not like the vehicle he would refund the money !!!.

We asked have you any pictures and where are you ? The response some pictures of modern American trucks and still no location or contact details.

When again we challenged him and asked why he was not letting us what the vehicle was and where it is. No response to that but again if we send him X Pounds by Western Union we would not be dissapointed.

We repeatedly asked him for detail son who he is ,where he is and what details etc. And basically suggested he might be a scamm merchant.

Got an abusive reply and nothing since so as we are not painted green and havent fallen out of a Christmas cracker he did not get any money.

But its just another thing guys to take care as there are these idiots and rogues out there.If they are genuine they should answer your questions.

I think we must be attracting them at the moment as this is the second one the last being a as new Merlin engine (that had come out of a crash site dig)for top dollar.

have a nice safe Christmas all

Mike E

www.whirlwindfighterproject.org

Original post

Member for

13 years

Next thing will be an ex Nigerian Air Force Stirling!:D

Member for

13 years 6 months

It's a matter of simply using commonsense. A few days ago, I got an email from my bank asking me to update some information (which probably would have turned out to be stuff like Social Security number, account number, etc. if I'd bothered to open the link provided).

The format and fonts of the very official-looking message were absolutely accurate and matched everything I'd ever seen from my bank...but there were a couple of misspellings so glaring that they could only have been made by an English-as-a-second-language type.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Here's my latest...

Hello My Friend,

I am Abdul Omar, Director Auditing and Accounting in Bank of Africa Burkina Faso. I need your assistance in executing a business project from our bank worth US$12.5 Million. These funds was deposited with our bank by a customer who unfortunately died in December 26,2004 in Asia Tsunami disaster.

If you agree to my business proposal.further details of the
transfer will be forwarded to you as soon as i receive your return mail and I need below in formations about you such as,

1, your full name………….,
2, your home address ………,
3, your private Telephone number…,
4, your occupation……….,
5, Your Age………………,
6, your country…………..,
7, your passport id………...,

Best Regards,
Abdul Omar,

Really?
If anyone, anywhere, is stupid enough to fall for this...I hate to say it, they deserve to be conned.

Member for

12 years 11 months

That's where it went :D

Member for

13 years 6 months

Greed is the driver, unfortunately, not intelligence. Several years ago, there was a Harvard professor--and I admit this as a Harvard graduate--who fell for a Nigerian scam. He lost tens of thousands of dollars, as I remember.

Member for

24 years 2 months

.. but there were a couple of misspellings so glaring that they could only have been made by an English-as-a-second-language type.

Good spot.

You don't see the scams so often these days as the spam filters are more sophisticated, but I always used to enjoy the (authentic-looking) bank ones that asked you to log in with your password.

It always amazed me that if I decided my password for that account today was going to be 'goawayyousillyspammers' (Or something ruder) I still moved on to the next stage of the procedure.

Moggy

Member for

12 years 9 months

If you are at a loose end for half an hour or so try this one done on a 419 scammer. I love it!

http://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

Absolutely priceless. Made my Christmas after losing my best friend recently.

Member for

13 years

Wokka Bob, I am glad I cheered you up a bit in your time of sadness. I must admit though I usually have the opposite effect on most people!:)

Member for

12 years 9 months

Wokka Bob, I am glad I cheered you up a bit in your time of sadness. I must admit though I usually have the opposite effect on most people!:)

I know the feeling, but don't take it personal. Its meant to hurt!:diablo:
Thanks again. See you on the bright side of 2012.:D

Member for

18 years 11 months

Presumably the spammer was registered on the Forum in order to contact a member and he/she has been reported and shown the back door?:diablo:

Member for

18 years 9 months

LMAO :D:D

Member for

19 years 5 months

Greed is the driver, unfortunately, not intelligence. Several years ago, there was a Harvard professor--and I admit this as a Harvard graduate--who fell for a Nigerian scam. He lost tens of thousands of dollars, as I remember.

There is an old saying...you can't con an honest man.
What kind of guy would think to himself..."There's a pile of money for international aid/disaster relief....How can I get a piece of that?"

I take it the professor wasn't from the Harvard Business School. :D

Member for

13 years 6 months

I take it the professor wasn't from the Harvard School of Business.

I don't remember if it was the Business School or not, but it was something like that, perhaps an economics professor. Surprisingly, he was -not- a professor of Nepalese wind-chime studies or something like that, he was in fact somebody who clearly should have known better. But somebody greedy no matter what.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Wow! Put me down for two!:D:diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

I spend some time working from home and must get three or four of the (almost unintelligible sub-continent voice) "This is Windows security company, we have detected that you have a virus on your computer and we want to help you fix it remotely"

If I am in the mood and not busy I will drag it out for a few minutes with my totally incompetent attempts to follow their instructions. I always like asking after a suitable length of time "Is that the key next to the one with the little picture of an apple on it?"

Increasingly they are getting quite viscious now in their response. One of them seemed to be implying I had carnal knowledge of his female parent (Which I denied)

But if I am busy they are a pain.

I think I get their auto-dialler silent calls about as often

Moggy

Member for

13 years

On the silent(or missed) call issue I use this site.

http://www.whocalls.co.uk/

As for the scammers who pretend to be from Microsoft Windows saying I have a problem. I say I don't have a problem I got them from SafestyleUK. That throws them.

BTW I cannot afford double glazing at the moment until my money comes from Nigeria!:D

Member for

16 years 7 months

when the kids were younger I gave all cold callers to them to chat to on the phone, that was good sport but now my youngest was 8, it doesn't seem to work.

You can play along like Moggy C mentioned if in the mood, otherwise I keep a whistle in the little bowl that sits by the phone (you know the one, with keys, an old reciept, a single chewing gum half out of its wrapper...) - a sharp blast with that does the trick.

BUT, my old mum was scammed out of £75 for an "energy saving device".... via her card details after a call.... while we all laugh about it, there is a nasty serious side to these b******ds.... rather than call one of us (4 sons) it was bus into town, queue at the bank to speak to "somebody" to sort out card to be cancelled etc.

Member for

18 years 3 months

A few months ago I had a phone call claiming to be from Windows in Luton telling me that my computer was sending them error messages.

You can report any fraud or scam to http://actionfraud.org.uk including the phishing emails you get. Most of the major banks etc now have an email address to which you can forward any phishing emails. e.g., [email]ihaveseenascam@co-operativebank.co.uk[/email], [email]phishing@santander.co.uk[/email]. There are also [email]phishing@cityoflondon.police.uk[/email] and
[email]phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk[/email].

If you go through the reporting pages at action fraud uk they will give you an email address at the end for forwarding.

I have no idea if anyone actually does more than collect statistics or send out warnings but I alaways forward the emails just in case they can trace the links and close them down. I only takes a few seconds.

Member for

18 years 2 months

This man fell for it hook line and sinker.

A chartered surveyor turned conman to cheat his closest friends out of more than £1million after he became convinced he had won the Spanish lottery.
Arthur Stimpson began a four year prison term yesterday after being sentenced at Norwich Crown Court on 13 counts of fraud and two of forgery.

The 56-year-old fed lie after lie to his childhood friends, a former neighbour, the godparents of his children and kept his wife in the dark, as he faked her signature in a bid to raise money and send it to Spain to claim his lottery ‘winnings’.

Stimpson, a respected chartered surveyor from Plumstead, used his good reputation in the community and a promise of up to 500% interest on loans to borrow money from those who trusted him most.

Despite being warned by police in autumn 2009 that he had fallen victim to a lottery scam he continued to borrow money totalling £1,154,000.

In July 2007 he received a letter saying he had won around 3.3m euros on the Spanish lotto.

Full story here. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/how_norfolk_surveyor_s_spanish_lottery_dream_damaged_family_and_friends_1_1157864