"Not to be confused with hanger."

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

Happy New Year to you all!

There's one thing that I've noticed on these pages and in several other places where aircraft are spoken. That is the use of the word hanger instead of hangar. I thought a hanger is a gadget on which you hang something and that a hangar was a "garage" for aircraft. Correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar

Wikipedia is quite clear on the subject.

Original post

Member for

15 years 10 months

Paging Pagen01 http://www.mocgb.net/forums/images/smilies/yahoo/71.gif

Member for

19 years 3 months

Ken,
Surely you will be chastised until your eyes bleed for bringing such corrections to this table! This is the forum whereby you'll be corrected with venom, so ensure you're beyond error yourself....

Member for

13 years 6 months

You're absolutely right, of course, and I'm surprised there are still people who don't know that. Some will call us The Spelling Police, but they're the people who still refer to "glidescopes" and show their knowledge of French by using the word "walla."

Member for

18 years 2 months

don't forget "websight" :p

Member for

16 years 4 months

Can't you tell what they mean by context, then?
Thing is we are ALL ignorant. It's just that we are ignorant about different things.

Member for

15 years 5 months

One other thing that annoys the hell out of me is the use of the word "aircrafts".

The plural of aircraft is aircraft - no "s". One aircraft, six aircraft.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ken,
One of the best Posts on this (or other Fora) for a very long time. And I thought I was a "lone voice crying in the wilderness"!!! There is, it appears, hope for the human race yet in English spelling, grammar, and syntax. And while we are at it can I ask that 'your/you're' and 'there/their' be included in the tutorial?
If I had received a CV with any of those mistakes in it I would have chucked it straight in the bin. And just in case the prospective employee had used the services of the professional CV writer I would provide pencil and paper and ask the differences to be explained before the very eyes of the board!
Well done. More power to your arm!
Resmoroh.

Member for

14 years 2 months

One other thing that annoys the hell out of me is the use of the word "aircrafts".

The plural of aircraft is aircraft - no "s". One aircraft, six aircraft.

Nothing wrong with "aircrafts" as long as you remember the ' so it would "the aircraft's..."

Member for

16 years 10 months

Not, of course, that there is not subtle value in different spellings. The legendary tale from (I think, Habbaniya) the early 1930's will serve to illustrate.
The S Eng O was being posted out at the end of his tour. He was found to be deficient:
"Hangars, Aeroplane, Hinaidi, ea 1". Big problem! The "Locals" had quietly disassembled it over a year or so, and 'had it away'!!!
But, being an enterprising bloke, he went to the Eqpt Sect and raised a Conversion Voucher converting "Hangars, Aeroplane, Hinaidi, ea 1" to "Hangers, Coat, Officers for the use of, ea 1". The S Eqpt O was presented with this voucher just before lunch. He duly signed it - and the Coat Hanger was written off for 6d (old money!).
This is the stuff of legends - but I suspect that at some place, and at some time, a similar trick had been played!!
Resmorh

Member for

15 years 5 months

Nothing wrong with "aircrafts" as long as you remember the ' so it would "the aircraft's..."

Don't get me started on the apostrophe.....or lower case letters where there should be capitals.....or capital/capitol....or a dozen other things.

:mad:

Member for

16 years 2 months

Mis-spellings

I'm also irritated by the use of the American spellings for (UK) English things - the worse being airplane instead of aeroplane - widely used by those who should know better.

Of course, it doesn't help with spell-check highlighting non-US spellings as incorrect. I can excuse this to a degree but it's ignorance I can't. We all, however, make mistakes and one can't object to having these pointed out from time-to-time - especially if one sees fit to correct others.

Of course, I'm a pe(n)dant - but like it that way:D

Anon.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dave,
Sorry, I WILL get you started!! Unless the likes of you and I go on, and on, and on, about this there will be no improvement!
I appreciate that the few of us who care about this cannot make up the appalling derogation of duty on the part of the teaching 'profession' who have turned out a (if not several) generation(s) of illiterates. But we can, at least, try.
Our correspondents on this (and other Fora) who do not have English as their first, and natural, language put us to shame!!
Resmoroh

Member for

16 years 4 months

The ability to spell has nothing to do with intelligence, anyway!
But I do hope all you pedants who feel it necessary to correct other people feel better!

Member for

12 years 11 months

Oh dear!

On another forum, I corrected someone's spelling and World War 3 broke out. Then they banned me !

The word was 'camaraderie'

John Green

Member for

24 years 2 months

Wasn't he the Italian kid in an episode of Only Fools and Horses?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

14 years 6 months

Just wait until the twitter-kids take over.

Member for

13 years 6 months

The ability to spell has nothing to do with intelligence, anyway!

Of course it does. Even if he or she hasn't been schooled--and we can argue forever about the value of that--an intelligent person fairly quickly picks up correct spelling from reading. Assuming they read...

Member for

16 years 2 months

The road signs around Farnborough indicate directions to the aerodrome, I wish we made more use of that word.

Member for

14 years 11 months

Between the wars "aircraft" was a plural noun, so could only be used for more than one. An aeroplane, an airship were acceptable, but not "an aircraft." It was made singular during WWII.

Member for

13 years 2 months

A fairly new one that irritates me is " alot ", as in "There are alot of grammatical errors" Grrrrr!

I've been a member of the apostrophe police for a long time (should that be along time?) but rampant apostophisation isn't a product of the modern education system. It has been around much longer than you'd think. I've come across it in several 1930s and wartime typewritten and handwritten documents. Despite their historic nature they still feel like a poke in the eye.