That could have been nasty...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

But however you chose to box it up, it's the mark of competence that the law chooses to use.
You may well be a brilliant rider--the best here by some margin, but in the eyes of the law, you haven't yet reached the benchmark, and until you pass that test, you cannot move on.
And as I keep re-stating, you also chose to exploit a loophole in that law to continue riding--albeit in a very limited fashion.
You're keen to quote the law at people here but turn a blind eye when it suits you.
If you're as good as you indicate, then applying for the said test and passing would be a sensible (and easy) course of action I would suggest. At your age, (I guess over thirty) and experience, I would think a direct access course would be no problem.

Member for

13 years 10 months

I think the old phrase, "Casting pearls before swine" is quite befitting at the moment.:p
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

15 years 11 months

a test does not mean one rider is better than another !!

Well, it does mean that a 'tested' rider can (legally) ride superior machines to the non-tested rider.

Get it sorted Tornado.

Oh and she sounded lovely :D

Awesome Bazv, nice machine :cool:

Member for

19 years 2 months

At RAF Brawdy with a nice 'classic' collection of airmens heaps in background LOL

rgds baz

Member for

19 years 2 months

Re licencing...I got my first 650 (beezer Tbolt) before I passed me bike test,but I had one of the old 'booklet' type licences and already having a full car licence and therefore the groups text was black...I would have defied anybody to pick out the missing bike groups from the absolute pageful of text LOL:D

My 650 was a 1970 BSA Thunderbolt which also was 100% oiltight and reliable except when one of my girlfriends was on the back...she was a right jonah LOL but she was 'outstanding' in certain departments and had other talents as well ;)
It (the BSA) was my favourite bike :)...always regretted selling it :(

Member for

15 years 11 months

At RAF Brawdy with a nice 'classic' collection of airmens heaps in background

Same the RAF world over, the Motor Club is where cars go to die :D

Member for

14 years

If you're as good as you indicate, then applying for the said test and passing would be a sensible (and easy) course of action I would suggest. At your age, (I guess over thirty) and experience, I would think a direct access course would be no problem.

but why ?? a 125 will do 70 ( any faster is illegal ) , i have no intention of riding on motorways , all a larger machine would be doing would be serving as an expensive macho toy with larger price tags than a car , if i wanted to pay the same as a small car the small car would win every time

no doubt they are nice bikes but it just doesn't compute paying the same or more as having a small car with the advantage of getting drowned as well

you are perfectly correct saying passing your test is a benchmark as am i in saying that it only proves you achieved that benchmark for 1 hour of one day !!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Same the RAF world over, the Motor Club is where cars go to die :D

One or two of them are a bit collectible these days.
Funny old world, innit?

Member for

14 years

Re licencing...I got my first 650 (beezer Tbolt) before I passed me bike test,but I had one of the old 'booklet' type licences and already having a full car licence and therefore the groups text was black...I would have defied anybody to pick out the missing bike groups from the absolute pageful of text LOL:D

My 650 was a 1970 BSA Thunderbolt which also was 100% oiltight and reliable except when one of my girlfriends was on the back...she was a right jonah LOL but she was 'outstanding' in certain departments and had other talents as well ;)
It (the BSA) was my favourite bike :)...always regretted selling it :(

it would be intresting to observe how many old bikers would need to be re tested

the instructor i went with informed me that the previous week he had had to re test a motorcycle cop that had been doing the job for years as he was not officialy licenced as the DVLC had deleted motorcycle entitlement over the years !!

Member for

20 years 6 months

but why ?? a 125 will do 70 ( any faster is illegal ) , i have no intention of riding on motorways , all a larger machine would be doing would be serving as an expensive macho toy with larger price tags than a car , if i wanted to pay the same as a small car the small car would win every time

no doubt they are nice bikes but it just doesn't compute paying the same or more as having a small car with the advantage of getting drowned as well

you are perfectly correct saying passing your test is a benchmark as am i in saying that it only proves you achieved that benchmark for 1 hour of one day !!

As I said above.
In my view you're playing the much quoted (by you) traffic laws to your own ends. When it suits you to quote them, they appear sacrosanct, but when you chose to ignore the spirit of the law by your refusal to take a test, you display both arrogance and hypocrisy. It appears to me that you feel above the need to pass your test and demonstrate to both other road users and the relevant authorities that you are competant and that is arrogance. The hypocrisy is because you happily quote (and judge others) but ignore the bits of the statute book you don't fancy.

I often exceed the speed limit, so I have no doubt that you would chose to criticise that, but you're quite happy to do that from a position of arrogance and hypocrisy yourself.
Then again I don't usually make value judgements on other people in the way you do, but because of your earlier insistence that people were muppets etc, I'm making an exception in your case.
So, pass your test.
You have no place passing comment on other people's skills until you have done so.

Member for

14 years

but at the same time can you tell me what law i'm breaking by not doing ??

at the end of the day the discussion boils down to your considderation of another human being ( end of ) the fact he continued with the intention of filming or catching someone in front ( he'd soon notice he was on his own )
shows his contempt for other humans and road users ( they weren't exactly respectful to the cyclist they passed either )
and as for saying it was a small accident that is proposterous ( there are many injuries that someone will get up with after an adrenaline release )

An adrenaline rush is the fight or flight response of the adrenal gland, in which it releases adrenaline (epinephrine). When releasing adrenaline, one's body releases dopamine which can act as a natural pain killer. An adrenaline rush causes the muscles to perform respiration at an increased rate improving strength. It also works with the nervous system to interpret impulses that trigger selective glands.

the pure and simple fact is you do not know how severe a person may be injured just because they get up and move around

like it or not he was first on scene and should have stopped for many reasons

as i am a qualified first aider if i did not stop to assist i would to some degree be liable !! but it would be tricky in this particular incident as the wording of the law is if he was directly involved to some degree it could probably be proved he was with his own video evidence as it would seem the rider involved was waiting for him and he was riding with him

it would be damned difficult if not impossible to get out of and he put the noose round his own kneck

Member for

19 years 2 months

it would be intresting to observe how many old bikers would need to be re tested

the instructor i went with informed me that the previous week he had had to re test a motorcycle cop that had been doing the job for years as he was not officialy licenced as the DVLC had deleted motorcycle entitlement over the years !!

Not sure what you are getting at here...it would have been an admin error by DVLC compounded by the plods failure to notice that he no longer had the relevant groups on his licence...nothing whatsoever to do with his riding skills.
Since the 'paper' licence came in it has been easier to check groups held (less groups to check) but on the old red book licence there was a page full of groups typed in and therefore more difficult to check.

And anyway...at least he did take the test...unlike some people we know ;)

Member for

20 years 6 months

but at the same time can you tell me what law i'm breaking by not doing ??

As I said above, you're not breaking any law.
However, you are bending the law to suit yourself.
I have no doubt that in the minds of the law makers, a provisional license is considered a stepping stone to a full license--not as something to be permanently renewed for the sake of convenience.

Also, the word on the streets is that our beloved government are thinking of changing the law to limit the amount of times a CBT and then a provisional renewal can take place.
So you'd better take your test while you still can.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Not sure what you are getting at here...it would have been an admin error by DVLC compounded by the plods failure to notice that he no longer had the relevant groups on his licence...nothing whatsoever to do with his riding skills.

And anyway...at least he did take the test...unlike some people we know ;)

It may sound strange, but true. Every year, on the Anniversary of me joining the Force, my duty Inspector came out and met me somewhere within my patrol area. The reason for this was just to check that my Driving Licence was valid, and the groups were all correct. I had a whole list of driving entitlements on my D.L. BUT when I became 70, I had to submit my D/L/ to the DVLA. and when it came back, I was shocked to see most of the groups wiped out, one example was the towing by the Force Landy to tow an Incident unit (Very long and heavy) but I can still tow a caravan.:confused:

T64. Perleeeeeese pass your test, so we can sleep soundly in our beds at night, it's got to being like a game of tennis.:)
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years

As I said above, you're not breaking any law.

exactly !!

whereas the poster of this vid is quite possibly guilty of leaving the scene of an accident and speeding !!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Well no not exactly.
You chose to ignore the intention of the law.
Isn't it convenient when you do that??
Pass your test--people will respect your opinion much more.
As far as I'm concerned and judging from other comments made here, you remain a wanabe, and in that respect I'll regard you views after you've passed.

Member for

19 years 2 months

A snapshot of a CBT

Your CBT certificate allows you to ride on the road displaying L plates (or L or D plates in Wales) for two years.
If you haven't passed a full motorcycle theory and practical test by the end of the two years, you must take another CBT course. This is so you can continue riding on the road as a learner.
If your CBT certificate runs out before you pass module two of the motorcycle test, you need to take another CBT course. However, you don't need to take your theory and module one test again if you have already passed them, unless they have run out.

Just to back up what Andy is saying...the CBT is intended as a stepping stone to getting a full bike licence !

Member for

20 years 6 months

It would also be interesting to know how long it is before Tornado64 needs to retake his CBT (again)--assuming of course that he bothers.
It must be a real pain in the bottom every two years--and expensive too.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Spooky I was just thinking that Andy...

Cost of Bike test = £31.00
Cost of CBT course = approx £100 every 2 years

And of course if you pass your test then you can still ride a 125 (if you cannot handle a real bike ;))

And of course you can junk those very uncool L plates

Member for

20 years 6 months

And of course if you pass your test then you can still ride a 125 (if you cannot handle a real bike ;))
And of course you can junk those very uncool L plates

Bazy.
I agree and this isn't a big bike thing. I know plenty of people who like smaller capacity bikes as a hobby.
A mate is restoring a Suzuki Stinger from a pile of scrap--I do like them. I'd actually like a Honda CD175 in Honda blue as a project (if I didn't have too many projects already).

No, it's a can't be bothered to pass a test and then claiming to be an expert (on everything) thing, which causes me the problem.