The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

GOG 1954 (Via Youtube) Classic early 50's Sci-Fi I with all the usual over acting and cheesiness which I love...?

Starring:-   Richard Egan,Constance Dowling,Herbert Marshall,John Wengraf ,Steve Roberts,Marian Richman,Phillip Van Zandt,Valerie Vernon,Byron Kane,David Alpert,Michael Fox,William Schallert,Aline Towne,Jean Dean,Al Bayer Tom Daly,Andy Andrews and Julian Ludwig.

A mechanical brain is programmed to sabotage the government's secret lab while working on the first space station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWxIZF4aC6Q

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Watched Orders Are Orders 1955 (Vai Talking pictures channel Sky 328). Quite amusing slapstick featuring classic comedy actors from later fame just an enjoyable romp....☺️

Starring:- Brian Reece,Margot Grahame,Raymond Huntley,Sid James,Tony Hancock,Peter Sellers,Clive Morton,June Thorburn,Maureen Swanson,Peter Martyn,Bill Fraser,Edward Lexy,Barry MacKay,Donald Pleasence,Eric Sykes and Leonard Williams.

A film production company decides to make a new science fiction film in an army barracks, using the soldiers as extras. This does not go down well with the commanding officer, who attempts to make life as difficult as possible for the film crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQN6tunXjg

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Watched the B&W classic Stanley Kubrick's  Dr Strangelove 1964 (Via BBCi) Peter Sellers in one of his most iconic of film roles,  starring alongside some other notable stars of the era and an early appearance by the voice of Darth Vader JEJ.  The film still has its relevant thought provoking and comic moments all these years after it was made....?

Starring:-  Peter Sellers,George C. Scott,Sterling Hayden,Keenan Wynn,Slim Pickens,Peter Bull,James Earl Jones,Tracy Reed and hane Rimmer.

An American Brigadier puts the world on the verge of a nuclear catastrophe, when he deploys a B-52 bomber on the Russians, without informing his superiors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE9CmX15PYA

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Infernal Affairs

The film that Martin Scorcese's The Departed was based on.  Frankly, I had hoped it would be better, but it felt like it was all the best bits of Scorcese's film put together, with the padding and exposition removed.  

6 Underground

Just your average Michael Bay movie, really - gunfights, explosions, car chases, chaos and mayhem, and that's just within the first five minutes.  Hard to say whether I liked it or not! 

Under Siege

Probably about the only decent Steven Segal film there is!  Great fun, though.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

John Wick Chapter 3 Parabellum 2019 (Via Netflix) a lot better than the 2nd and on a par with the 1st IMPO, also the film is open to a chapter 4 after the ending......?

Starring:- Keanu Reeves,Halle Berry,Ian McShane,Laurence Fishburne,Mark Dacascos,Asia Kate Dillon,Lance Reddick,Anjelica Huston,Saïd Taghmaoui,Jerome Flynn,Cecep Arif Rahman,Yayan Ruhian,Boban Marjanović,Randall Duk,Riccardo Scamarcio,Jason Mantzoukas,Robin Lord Taylor,Susan Blommaert,Tobias Segal,Roger Yuan,Arjon Bashiri, Tiger Chen,Vladimir and Vlado Mihailov, Danish Bhatt, and Candace M. Smith.

After gunning down a member of the High Table -- the shadowy international assassin's guild -- legendary hit man John Wick finds himself stripped of the organization's protective services. Now stuck with a $14 million bounty on his head, Wick must fight his way through the streets of New York as he becomes the target of the world's most ruthless killers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i8C-GOsHo0

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

The Limehouse Golem 2016 (Via BBCi - Available until 26/01) A short film at 1hr-41mins but none the less a watchable even though slow at times film that has fine actors plying they're craft and keeping you interested with a good twist at the end.

WARNING:  Does have a little gore where necessary to aid the storyline but some may find it still to much.

Starring:- Bill Nighy,Olivia Cooke,Amelia Crouch,Douglas Booth,Daniel Mays,Sam Reid,María Valverde,Eddie Marsan,Henry Goodman Paul Ritter,Morgan Watkins,Peter Sullivan,Adam Brown and Clive Brunt.

After a series of violent murders scandalises Victorian London, the Limehouse Golem strikes fear into the hearts of the public, whilst also capturing people's imagination.   Into this melting pot is thrust the well-meaning Inspector Kildare, who has never been given a murder case before. He knows he has been set up to fail but soon uncovers a lead that implicates Karl Marx, George Gissing and the popular music hall star Dan Leno, and follows the trail, wherever it may lead, through the seediest and most intriguing parts of London

https://youtu.be/MCJp8-MebGY

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Mrs Lowry And Son (2019 - Via Netflix) A well acted Drama film considering it only has the interaction between two main characters for most of the film.   I will say at least to myself very emotional in one particular scene,  if you like biopics then this is for you as I liked it a lot.

Starring:-  Vanessa Redgrave,Timothy Spall,Stephen Lord,Wendy Morgan,Michael Keogh,John Alan Roberts,Rose Noble and Laurence Mills.

Mrs Lowry & Son is a biographical drama film set in Pendlebury Greater Manchester, chronicling the life of the renowned artist L. S. Lowry. It was directed by Adrian Noble from a screenplay written by Martyn Hesford who also wrote the original play, and considers the relationship between Lowry and his mother Elizabeth, who has reservations over her son's career in painting.[2] It stars Timothy Spall in the title role with Vanessa Redgrave, Stephen Lord, David Schaal and Wendy Morgan in supporting roles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTOiVivEmwo

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Son Of Soul 2015 (Via BBCi - Available until 19/02) In German, Hungarian, Yiddish, Russian, Polish, French, Greek, Slovak and Hebrew - with English subtitles.     The film is just as powerful as if it where in English and is a snapshot into what must have happened for real.  It shows how even amongst themselves they were bullied by other nationalities,   I would assume it is based on what horror stories that came from survivors memories through the ages  ?  

The world at times it seems forgets about this the most heinous of all WW2 cruelties inflicted by human against other humans even to the point of holocaust deniers......

Starring:- Géza Röhrig,Levente Molnár,Urs Rechn,Sándor Zsótér,Todd Charmont,Uwe Lauer,Christian Harting,Kamil Dobrowolski,Jerzy Walczak,Marcin Czarnik,István Pion,Attila Fritz,Amitai Kedar,Márton Ágh Levente Orbán,Tom Pilath,Mihály Kormos,Juli Jakab,Mendy Cahan and Jeles András.

1944 Auschwitz - Saul Auslander is a Hungarian member of the Sonderkommando, a unit of concentration camp prisoners forced to work for the Germans as they exterminate their fellow prisoners. One day Saul sees the body of a young child who he believes to be his own son, and he becomes obsessed with rescuing it from suffering the fate of the other murdered prisoners. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSabBa9IWYs

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Up The Junction 1968, via Talking Pictures channel Sky 328.  The film has a host of UK based talent with early bit parts for some later famous faces.  I suppose it's a  precautionary tale of it's time,  someone trying to live out a fantasy of being from the working class that has it's inevitable consequence still that being said I enjoyed it.....👍

Starring:- Suzy Kendall,Dennis Waterman,Maureen Lipman,Adrienne Posta,Liz Fraser,Linda Cole,Doreen Herrington,Jessie Robins,Barbara Archer,Ruby Head,Susan George,Sandra Williams,Michael Robbins,Michael Gothard,Billy Murray,Michael Standing,Alfie Bass,Aubrey Morris,Hylda Baker,Shaun Curry,Olwen Griffiths,Queenie Watts,Lockwood West,Michael Barrington,Yvonne Manners,Harry Hutchinson,Larry Martyn,Derek Ware and Mike Reid.

A young woman trades her upper-class existence for a new life in an economically depressed suburb of London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6YtBgymB0

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

That'll Be The Day - 1973 (Via Talking Pictures channel/Sky 328),  Another cautionary tale film you could call it,  centered around the main character (David Essex) and his dreams versus the struggle of real life and it's pit falls that come with consequences.

Starring:- David Essex,Ringo Starr,Rosemary Leach,James Booth,Billy Fury, Rosalind Ayres,Keith Moon,Robert Lindsay,Deborah Watling,Brenda Bruce, Beth Morris,Daphne Oxenford,Kim Braden,Johnny Shannon,Karl Howman, Sue  Holderness, Érin Geraghty,Sacha Puttnam and Peter Turner.

Set primarily in the late 1950s and early 1960s, the film tells the story of Jim MacLaine (Essex), a British teenager raised by his single mother (Leach). Jim rejects society's conventions and pursues a hedonistic and sexually loose lifestyle, harming others and damaging his close relationships in the process (Above story outline courtesy of wiki).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1IZX3S_e8

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Fear Is The Key 1972 (Via Talking Pictures channel/Sky 328) I still enjoyed this rather dated film but the car chase is a cracking start as with the scene in the submarine, you really get a sense of breathlessness if you get into the film....👍

Starring:- Barry Newman,Suzy Kendall,John Vernon,Dolph Sweet,Ben Kingsley,Ray McAnally,Peter Marinker,Elliott Sullivan,Roland Brand,Tony Anholt,John Alderson,James Berwick,Hal Galili and Ernie Heldman.

A deep-sea salvager (Barry Newman) kidnaps an oil heiress (Suzy Kendall) in a scheme to trap killers seeking gems in the Gulf of Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHlZgJp99I

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Day Of The Triffids 1962 Classic Sci-Fi that admittedly is of it's time but none the less enjoyable to watch again periodically.....😉

Starring:- Howard Keel,Nicole Maurey,Janina Faye,Anette Scott,Kieron Moore, Mervyn Johns,Ewan Roberts,Alison Leggatt,Geoffrey Matthews,Gilgi Hauser,John Tate,Carole Ann Ford,Arthur Gross,Colette Wilde,Ian Wilson,Victor Brooks and Peter Dynley.

After meteors enter Earth's atmosphere, blinding much of the planet's population in the process, plantlike creatures known as Triffids emerge from the craters and begin to take over. Military officer Bill Masen (Howard Keel), one of the few sighted people left alive, meets with other survivors in England and tries to find a safe haven from the vicious vegetation, as scientist Tom Goodwin (Kieron Moore) desperately seeks a way to defeat the leafy extraterrestrials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrLqg3w6AU

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Watched an Australian film called Nightingale 2018 (via Netflix). 

The film Set in 1825 in the British penal colony of Van Diemen's Land/ now Tasmania.  A bit graphic (Rape scene and child murder) within the first 30mins but it sets up the rest of the film perfectly and although like above on the whole a watchable film.

Starring:- Aisling Franciosi,Sam Claflin,Baykali Ganambarr,Damon Herriman,Harry Greenwood,Ewen Leslie,Charlie Shotwell,Michael Sheasby,Charlie Jampijinpa Brown,Magnolia Maymuru,Nathaniel Dean and Luke Carroll.

Clare, a young Irish convict, chases a British officer through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness and is bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence the man committed against her family. On the way, she enlists the services of Aboriginal tracker Billy, who is marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past.

Controversy!

The Nightingale received heavy criticism following its initial screenings at the Sydney Film Festival, where approximately 30 film-goers walked out of the theater in disgust due to its extreme depictions of rape and murder.  One viewer was heard shouting "I'm not watching this; she's already been raped twice" as she exited the theater. Kent defended the decision to show such violence, saying that the film contains historically accurate depictions of the violence and racism that colonial power inflicted on the indigenous Australian people of that time.

The film was produced in collaboration with Tasmanian Aboriginal elders who asserted that this is an honest and necessary depiction of their history and a story that needs to be told. Kent said she understands the negative reactions, but stated that she remains enormously proud of the film and stressed to audiences that this film is about a need for love, compassion and kindness in dark times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuP8g_GQIgI

Geoff.

Member for

3 years 6 months

Nope, still confusing nonsensical rubbish.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

One for the petrol heads this time, I watched Steve McQueen's Le Mans 1971 (Via BBCi - Available until 22/09). Not to much of a test on his acting talents but just a good old fashioned film about motor racing focusing on an fictional battle between Porsche and Ferrari...... 8-)                                                                                                                                    Starring:- Steve McQueen,Siegfried Rauch,Elga Andersen,Ronald Leigh-Hunt,Fred Haltiner,Luc Merenda,Christopher Waite,Louise Edlind,Angelo Infanti, Jean-Claude Bercq,Michele Scalera,Gino Cassani,Alfred Bell and arlo Cecchi.

If your interested the films history of why and how the film got made check out :-  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_(film)

1971 Trailer:-  https://youtu.be/228f-dPxI3Q

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Decided to watch Harry And The Hendersons 1987 (Via Netflix).  I have been watching www.youtube.com/user/proguide66 channel and listening to his sasquatch stories (Not the bullshit TV series) it gave my interest a prod.  The last time I watched this film was when my daughter wanted to watch as a youngster, a bit dated these days but still funny in all the right places and like all films it's down to the individual and whether they are (funny in this particular case) whatever, you like what you like and that's it..... ;)

Starring:- John Lithgow,Melinda Dillon,Margaret Langrick,Joshua Rudoy,( Kevin Peter Hall,Tom Hester,Tim Lawrence,Fred Newman,Mitch Laue  [Puppeteers / Harry actor and Voice] ),Lainie Kazan,Don Ameche,David Suchet,M. Emmet Walsh,William Dear,Laurie O'Brien and John Bloom.

While returning from a trip in the woods, George Henderson (John Lithgow) and his family run into something with their car that turns out to be a Sasquatch. Thinking the creature is dead, they take him home, but "Harry" (Kevin Peter Hall) soon awakens. Despite their initial fears, Harry is a kind and sensitive being, and the Hendersons become very fond of him. However, it is difficult to keep him a secret, and soon they begin to fear for Harry's safety.  

https://youtu.be/jD4toCh6lbE    

Geoff.                                                                                                                          

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 2011 (BBCi player Available until 01:25a.m. 5/10) ...👍

I Thoroughly enjoyed this film adaptation of John Le Carre's Cold War novel about a retired MI6 agent who must track down a Soviet mole within the British intelligence service's ranks.

Starring:-  Gary Oldman,Colin Firth,Tom Hardy,Mark Strong,Ciarán Hinds, Benedict Cumberbatch,David Dencik,Stephen Graham,Simon McBurney Toby Jones,John Hurt,Kathy Burke,Roger Lloyd-Pack,vetlana Khodchenkova Arthur Nightingale,John le Carré,Christian McKay,Konstantin Khabensky Linda Marlowe,Michael Sarne,Tomasz Kowalski,Stuart Graham,Zoltán Mucsi as Hungarian and Laura Carmichael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-F1H-Nonk

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,
  Watched John Wayne's classic western RIO BRAVO (Via BBCiplayer)............. 8-)  

Starring:- John Wayne,Dean Martin,Ricky Nelson,Angie Dickinson,Walter Brennan,Ward Bond,John Russell,Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez, Estelita Rodriguez,Claude Akins and Joseph Shimada.

The film is based on the short story "Rio Bravo" by B. H. McCampbell, the film is about the sheriff of the town of Rio Bravo, Texas, who arrests the brother of a powerful local rancher for murder and then must hold the man in jail until the arrival of the United States Marshall. With the help of a "cripple", a drunk and a young gunfighter, they hold off the rancher's gang. (Courtesy of wiki)

Trailer:-  https://youtu.be/WPO12ZzGS84

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,
 I watched The Midnight Sky 2020 over the crimbo period only available on Netflix... ::)   Different to what I thought it would be but if your a greeny you'll love it, the one thing it has made me think of buying the novel as a result.  George plays his role well opposite his imaginary daughter (Caoilinn Springall), while the film flicks between the spaceship returning and earth and Clooney's panic to ward them off.

Starring:- George Clooney,Ethan Peck,Felicity Jones,Caoilinn Springall,David Oyelowo, 

Tiffany Boone,Demián Bichir,Kyle Chandler,Sophie Rundle,Tim Russ and Miriam Shor.

The film is based on the book Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton, A lone scientist in the Arctic races to contact a crew of astronauts returning home to a mysterious global catastrophe.

https://youtu.be/DXUUqr3AFKs

Geoff.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Greetings.

Apart from working my way through the Mission Impossible films these last few days between work, the last film I watched was JoJo Rabbit (2019) just the other week.
Starring:  Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson, Taika Waititi 

I thought I would give it a go after seeing the trailer and my daughter giving up on it at most half way through.
The plot is (from IMDB.com):
"A World War II satire that follows a lonely German boy named Jojo whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother is hiding a young Jewish girl in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler, Jojo must confront his blind nationalism."

Not sure what I expected before I started watching it but I really enjoyed it. It was quirky, funny, poignant, and more. It has been ages since I last watched a film and wanted to watch it again so quickly, but this was one of those rare ones for me, plus the soundtrack is good too.
Give it a go if you haven't, but watch with an open mind and no preconceptions as I did, and hopefully you will find a good film.

Trailer: https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3474898713?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_7

ATVB

G