The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Jaws 3

Dennis Quaid and Bess Armstrong take on a giant great white shark that has set up home in a giant Sea World park.

I know the sequels got progressively worse as time went on, but they're still fun to watch!

Member for

18 years

Deadpool 2

The Merc with a mouth is back and he is bringing friends. Lots of action, lots of blood, lots of breaking the fourth wall and some great laughs.

Member for

18 years

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Telling the tale of Han Solo and how he met Chewie and got the Millennium Falcon. I enjoyed it and it was good to get some back story on a well known character.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Deadpool 2

More madness with the red-suited lunatic, and this time he's brought along some friends.

Absolutely blinding film - haven't laughed so much in ages, and, amazingly, for a Marvel film, it has some surprisingly touching, genuinely emotional scenes that hit you right in the feels.

I think it might be one of those rare things where the sequel is actually better than the original!

Member for

14 years 6 months

Maigret starring Rowan Atkinson.
Possibly one of the finest TV Film Detective Dramas I have seen in a long time.
Put your comic prejudiuces to one side and watch this.
Totally engrossing.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
War For The Planet Of The Apes 2017 (Via SKY Cinema). The third in the series of recent remakes, not as strong as the previous two but none the
less watchable just the same if you like 'The Planet Of The Apes' storyline.....;)

Starring:-
Apes
Andy Serkis as Caesar,Steve Zahn as "Bad Ape",Karin Konoval as Maurice,Ty Olsson as Red,Michael Adamthwaite as Luca,
Judy Greer as Cornelia,Sara Canning as Lake,Max Lloyd-Jones as Blue Eyes,Devyn Dalton as Cornelius,Aleks Paunovic as Winter.

Humans.
Amiah Miller,Woody Harrelson,Gabriel Chavarria,

Caesar (Andy Serkis) and his apes are forced into a deadly conflict with an army of humans led by a ruthless colonel (Woody Harrelson). After the apes
suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind. As the journey finally brings
them face to face, Caesar and the colonel are pitted against each other in an epic battle that will determine the fate of both of their species and the future
of the planet.

Looks like there will be more on a personal note I am looking forward to the next one..:applause:

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
King Lear (Via BBCi - available until 27/5) Enjoyed the well acted film on the whole and liked the fact it was set in modern era...:cool:

Sarring:-Anthony Hopkins,Emma Thompson,Emily Watson,Florence Pugh,Jim Broadbent,Andrew Scott,John Macmillan,Jim Carter,Christopher Eccleston
Tobias Menzies,Anthony Calf and Karl Johnson.

The 80-year-old King Lear divides his kingdom among his daughters, Goneril, Regan and Cordelia, according to their affection for him. Cordelia refuses to
flatter him, so he banishes her. Having acquired power, Goneril and Regan expel their father from their homes. At the same time, Lear's prime minister,
Gloucester, is betrayed by his son Edmund and his other son, Edgar, is forced to go into hiding. Lear becomes mad, Gloucester is blinded: both the
kingdom and the family collapse into chaos and warfare. Lear and Cordelia are reunited - for a brief moment love reigns, then tragedy descends.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
DUNKIRK 2017 (Via SKY Cinema) The film is based around Operation Dynamo with as the director freely admits a little artistic/historic licence
thrown in i.e. To make the film audience distinguish between Luftwaffe and RAF aircraft the German aircraft had the nose cowling painted yellow when
in reality this never happened till after the operation as I am sure most on this forum already know.

I enjoyed the film for what it was a tribute to those involved. Personally I would have liked to have seen a fourth viewpoint from the forces fighting the
rear-guard action allowing the evacuation to be completed. If you view it as a war film and get over the minor inaccuracies over true facts you should be
ok with it like I was.

Starring:-Fionn Whitehead,Tom Glynn-Carney,Jack Lowden,Harry Styles,Aneurin Barnard,James D'Arcy,Barry Keoghan,Kenneth Branagh,Cillian Murphy,
Mark Rylance and Tom Hardy.

In May 1940, Germany advanced into France, trapping Allied troops on the beaches of Dunkirk. Under air and ground cover from British and French forces, troops were slowly and methodically evacuated from the beach using every serviceable naval and civilian vessel that could be found. At the end of this heroic mission, 330,000 French, British, Belgian and Dutch soldiers were safely evacuated.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Blade Runner 2049 2017(Via SKY Cinema) Being honest I prefer the original although this is a decent enough sequel to complete the Decker story. It's
a bit drawn out at times as tends to drag the viewer along, but on the whole if you just like the Sci-Fi genre you should be able to cope with this film even
at nearly three hours long (163mins), I enjoyed it for what it was and that's the point is it not ?.....:eagerness:

Starring:-Ryan Gosling,Harrison Ford,Ana de Armas,Sylvia Hoeks,Robin Wright,Mackenzie Davis,Carla Juri,Lennie James,Dave Bautista,Jared Leto,
Edward James Olmos,Barkhad Abdi,Hiam Abbass,David Dastmalchian,Wood Harris and Sallie Harmsen.

Officer K (Ryan Gosling), a new blade runner for the Los Angeles Police Department, unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's
left of society into chaos. His discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former blade runner who's been missing for 30 years.

Geoff.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Extremely tediously booring film but almost worth it for the unintended hallarious ending (first time I've heard the cinema laugth during a horror movie).
Probably best left to dvd after a few beers.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Aftermath 2017. (Via SKY Cinema) Another different role for Arnie (Obviously his age catching him up :D) Although the film has some quite moments
the film on the whole is watchable a shows that Arnie can act it also looks at the two sides to each story saying, as you can have empathy for both main
characters in this drama which I enjoyed...;)

Starring:-Arnold Schwarzenegger,Scoot McNairy,Maggie Grace,Martin Donovan,Hannah Ware,Mariana Klaveno,Kevin Zegers,Larry Sullivan and Teri Clark Linden.

Two strangers' lives become inextricably bound together after an error by an air traffic controller (Scoot McNairy) causes the death of a construction foreman's (Arnold Schwarzenegger) wife and daughter.

Geoff.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Arnie does one called Annie where his daughter becomes a Zombie. I liked them both.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
hampden98 - Yes another great film they both prove that he can act rather than the I'll be back method he is so famous for...:D

T2 Trainspotting 2017 (Via SKY Cinema). I enjoyed this rather funny film and thought it was a true sequel to the first film that so many sequels fail
to live up to or surpass the original IMHO.....:cool:

Starring:-Ewan McGregor (Renton Hamish Haggerty as young Renton/Ben Skelton as 9-year-old Renton/Connor McIndoe as 20-year-old Renton)
Ewen Bremner (Aiden Haggarty as 9-year-old Spud/John Bell as 20-year-old Spud)
Jonny Lee Miller (Williamson Logan Gillies as 9-year-old Simon/James McElvar as 20-year-old Simon)
Robert Carlyle (Daniel Jackson as young Begbie/Daniel Smith as 9-year-old Begbie/Christopher Mullen as 20-year-old Begbie
Kelly Macdonald,Shirley Henderson,James Cosmo,Anjela Nedyalkova,Steven Robertson,Elek Kish,Simon Weir,Bradley Welsh,Pauline Turner,
Kyle Fitzpatrick(Charlie Hardie as 9-year-old Fergus),Scot Greenan,Eileen Nicholas,Kevin McKidd (Elijah Wolf as 9-year-old Tommy and Michael Shaw as 20-year-old Tommy)

First there was an opportunity, then there was a betrayal. Twenty years later, Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor) returns to the only place that he can ever
call home. There waiting for him are old buddies Spud (Ewen Bremner), Sick Boy (Jonny Lee Miller) and Begbie (Robert Carlyle). Sorrow, loss, joy,
vengeance,hatred, love, fear, regret, self-destruction and mortal danger are also all lined up and ready to welcome him

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The Black Tower 2017 (Via SKY Cinema) I really enjoyed this Sci-Fi/Fantasy film that didn't do to well at the box office and was panned by many,
whether this was because of more popular films released at the same time I don't know ? There are plans for a sequel and a Tv series if these come to
fruition will be another entirely ? On the whole if you like the genre you shouldn't be to disappointed as there are some quite good specialFX that only add
to the film IMPO....:cool:

Starring:- Idris Elba,Matthew McConaughey,Tom Taylor,Claudia Kim,Fran Kranz,Abbey Lee,Jackie Earle Haley,Katheryn Winnick (Vikings),Dennis Haysbert,
Michael Barbieri,José Zúñiga, and Nicholas Hamilton.

Roland Deschain (Idris Elba), the last Gunslinger, is locked in an eternal battle with Walter O'Dim (Matthew McConaughey), also known as the Man in
Black. The Gunslinger must prevent the Man in Black from toppling the Dark Tower, the key that holds the universe together. With the fate of worlds at
stake, two men collide in the ultimate battle between good and evil.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Alien Covenant 2017 (Via SKY Cinema) Again liked this addition to the franchise took to me back to the original with that haunting few notes every
now and then from the flute. I not a big fan of the CGI effects in films unless done well and blend in seamlessly I much prefer the practical effects, apart
from that small grumble if you like the Alien franchise you can watch this and if you just like the Sci-Fi genre then that should also be the case.

There was talk of two further prequels in the franchise but as it stands they are actively just writing the one at the moment....:cool:

Starring:-Michael Fassbender,Katherine Waterston,Billy Crudup,Danny McBride,Demián Bichir,Carmen Ejogo,Jussie Smollett,Callie Hernandez,Amy Seimetz, Nathaniel Dean,Alexander England,Benjamin Rigby,Uli Latukefu and Tess Haubrich.

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, members (Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup) of the colony ship Covenant discover what they
think to be an uncharted paradise. While there, they meet David (Michael Fassbender), the synthetic survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition. The mysterious world soon turns dark and dangerous when a hostile alien life-form forces the crew into a deadly fight for survival.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Blind Spot 1958 (Via Talking Pictures Channel on Sky) Classic B&W crime drama (With a little aviation theme) set in the 50's. An early roll for
Michael Caine and a future partnership from Dads Army also star along with other early rolls for future TV stars that some may recognise being the
old farts that we are....:D

Starring:-Robert MacKenzie,Delphi Lawrence,Gordon Jackson,Anne Sharp,John Le Mesurier,George Pastell,Ernest Clark,Ronan O'Casey,Michael Caine,
John Crawford,Andrew Faulds,Robert Gallico and Arthur Lowe.

Having lost his sight and suffered a head injury Captain Dan Adams (Robert MacKenzie) has to stay in hospital for the head injury to heal before he can
have an eye operation. But on a rare excursion out to attend a party his driver accidentally drops him off at the wrong address. As Dan enters the house
he stumbles in to a crime scene where he stumbles over a dead body and then is knocked out by the killers who discover that he is blind. After waking up
in hospital no one believes him despite being bruised and battered. Months later after eventually having his sight restored and recovering from the
operation Dan sets about proving that he did find a dead body but it leads him into a lot of danger.
(Courtesy of:-https://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/blind-spot-1958/blind-spot-1958.html )

Doesn't he look young old Michael Caine ?
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/20/590x/Talking-Pictures-TV-founder-Sarah-Cronin-Stanley-vintage-British-films-Clair-Woodward-577690.jpg

Available at these sites:-https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blind+spot+1958&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE597JsoHcAhUHrRQKHVeHC6kQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1280&bih=855&dpr=1

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Never Let Go 1960 (Via Talking Pictures Channel on SKY) If your into classic B&W films like myself you'll like this good crime drama with a very different
roll for Peter Sellers and an early roll for Adam Faith also starring other recognisable from stage and screen...;)

Starring:-Richard Todd,Peter Sellers,Elizabeth Sellars,Adam Faith,Carol White,Mervyn Johns,Noel Willman,David Lodge,Peter Jones,John Bailey,
Nigel Stock,John Le Mesurier,John Dunbar,Charles Houston,Cyril Shaps,Dorothy Gordon,Mignon O'Doherty,Maureen Connell and Marianne Stone.

Lionel Meadows (Peter Sellers) is a London garage owner who makes extra cash dealing in stolen cars. Meadows buys log books from scrapped models,
then has other cars corresponding to the log books stolen and the number plates replaced. He gives a list of the latest batch to young petty thief
Tommy Towers (Adam Faith), which includes a 1959 Ford Anglia. The car Tommy steals belongs to struggling cosmetics salesman John Cummings
(Richard Todd), who needs the car to keep his job. Also, he did not insure the car against theft and becomes desperate to recover it.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The Sound Barrier 1952, Just up my alley as all things aviation are with great footage of the SWIFT taking centre stage, plus a lot of other types as well just a good, of the day flag waving film that anybody who likes aviation can enjoy....:cool:

Starring:-Ralph Richardson,Ann Todd,Nigel Patrick,John Justin,Dinah Sheridan,Joseph Tomelty,Denholm Elliott,Jack Allen,Ralph Michael,Rodney Goodall
Donald Harron,Vincent Holman,Jolyon Jackley,Douglas Muir,Leslie Phillips,Anthony Snell and Robert Brooks Turner.

With a passion for aviation design and engineering, wealthy oilman John Ridgefield (Ralph Richardson) is determined to break the sound barrier with the
aircraft company he owns. He has already lost his son in the pursuit, and his daughter, Susan (Ann Todd), resents her father even more when he chooses
her husband, World War II pilot Tony Garthwaite (Nigel Patrick), to be one of the test pilots. Yet Ridgefield stands resolute in the name of scientific progress.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Event Horizon

Rather wicked sci-fi horror film about a crew investigating a long-lost spacecraft that has mysteriously reappeared after several years.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
DazDaMan - I watched the film a while ago now and have yet to read the book that I have. I enjoyed the film and it will be interesting to see what
if any differences there are as most films are adaptations from whatever source material.

Mother 2017 (Via SKY Cinema) the film is meant to be a Drama/Horror but I would say it has an element of Sci-Fi as well, on the whole though it is watchable but not to everybody's taste it starts off one thing then changes in the third act which is where the Sci-Fi comes in IMO but I still enjoyed the film none the less.....:eagerness:

Starring:- Jennifer Lawrence,Javier Bardem,Ed Harris,Michelle Pfeiffer,Domhnall Gleeson,Brian Gleeson,Kristen Wiig,Jovan Adepo,Stephen McHattie,
Amanda Warren and Laurence Leboeuf.

A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence. From filmmaker Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream), mother! stars Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer in this riveting psychological thriller about love, devotion and sacrifice.'.

Geoff.