The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Long Walk To Freedom 2014 (Via BBCi available until 20/08) A really good well acted Biopic film IMPO. I don't know how true to life the film
was apart from the obvious bits that are forever imprinted on most peoples minds i.e. His name/A Revolutionary opponent of apartheid/Campaigner for equality/Leader of the ANC/Wembley concert/The Song Nelson Mandela (By the Specials a Coventry band 8-) ) and of coarse known for his marriage to Winnie/Eventual president of Sth Africa and lastly but not least the latest conspiracy that is the Mandela effect.

Starring:-Idris Elba,(Siza Pini - Mandela (age 7–9),Atandwa Kani - Mandela (age 16–23),Naomie Harris,Tony Kgoroge,S'Thandiwe Kgoroge,Riaad Moosa,Zolani Mkiva,Simo Mogwaza,Tshallo Sputla Chokwe,Fana Mokoena,James Cunningham,Thapelo Mokoena,Jamie Bartlett,Deon Lotz,Terry Pheto,
Sello Maake,Gys de Villiers,Zenzo Ngqobe,Carl Beukes,A.J. van der Merwe,Nomfusi Gotyana,Andre Jacobs,Louis van Niekerk,Adam Neill,
Lindiwe Matshikiza,Refilwe Charles,Semuhle Shangasi,Khumbuzile Maphumulo and John Herbert.

The remarkable life of South African revolutionary, president and world icon Nelson Mandela (Idris Elba) takes center stage. Though he had humble
beginnings as a herd boy in a rural village, Mandela became involved in the anti-apartheid movement and co-founded the African National Congress Youth
League. His activities eventually led to his imprisonment on Robben Island from 1964 to 1990. In 1994, Mandela became the first president of democratic
South Africa.

Geoff.

Member for

14 years

Angels One Five, which was on again today.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Malta Story yet again.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The Odyssey 2016 I rather enjoyed this French/Belgian biopic about Jacques-Yves Cousteau especially some of the underwater scenes, be warned thought it's 99% French language with subtitles and a smattering of English where appropriate, I always remember watching his films on Tv......:cool:

Starring:-Lambert Wilson,Pierre Niney,Ulysse Stein,Audrey Tautou,Laurent Lucas,Benjamin Lavernhe,Rafaël de Ferran,Vincent Heneine,
Thibault de Montalembert,Roger Van Hool,Chloé Hirschman,Adam Neill,Olivier Galfione,Martin Loizillon and Chloé Williams.

Thirty years in the life of Captain Jacques-Yves Cousteau, the researcher, scientist, inventor, and filmmaker whose contributions made the general public more curious about the sea.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I might give that one a go!

In a slightly-related vein, I watched 47 Meters Down, a film about two tourist girls whose shark-diving trip goes slightly awry when their shark-cage ends up on the bottom of the sea (hence 47 Meters Down!), and they have to try and make it to the surface. The big problem is that there are a large number of great white sharks nearby!

Not a bad film, and it does try to do something different with the tired shark attack genre, at least.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
DazDaMan - I followed the story very well, the film basically just shows the behind the Scenes/Man if you will...:eagerness:

Final Recall 2017 Titled The Recall eldewhere ?(Via SKY Cinema) Mixed feelings about this basically a Teen/Young persons/Invasion/Abduction Sci-Fi
film some good SFX but the story is poor. I feel that so much more could have actually been done but in the end just a watch and forget film if you have nothing else available really...:eek:

Starring:-Wesley Snipes,RJ Mitte,Jedidiah Goodacre,Niko Pepaj,Laura Bilgeri,Hanna Rose May,Sean Millington,Graham Shiels and Viccellous Reon Shannon.

When five friends vacation at a remote lake house they expect nothing less than a good time, unaware that planet Earth is under an alien invasion and mass-abduction.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Super Troopers

A group of prank-pulling highway cops inadvertently stumble upon a drug smuggling operation in their neck of the woods. Can they stop being pains in the ass long enough to solve the case?

Daft, but great fun.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
DazDaMan - They have made a sequel looks to be just as funny, but your spot on with your critique, I thought it very funny...:D

Watched the very funny and heart warming sequel to East Is East:- West Is West 2010 (Via BBCi Available until 18/8) I really enjoyed this film and recommend you watch the first one to really get the complete experience that has plenty of funny along with touching moments.....:cool:

Starring:-Om Puri,Linda Bassett,Aqib Khan,Lesley Nicol,Jimi Mistry,Ila Arun,Emil Marwa,Vijay Raaz,Vanessa Hehir,Robert Pugh,Zita Sattar,Nadim Sawalha
and, Raj Bhansali.

Culture-clash comedy drama set in 1976, the sequel to hit play and film `East Is East'. Sulky, Salford-born teenager Sajid, transported to rural Pakistan with his father, is an alien amidst this other family. However dad `George' is almost equally troubled by what their visit stirs up.

Geoff.

Member for

18 years

Spaceballs

Mel Brooks parody of Star Wars, Staring Bill Pullman, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Mel Brooks, Joan Rivers, Daphne Zuniga and many stars in cameos. Loved this film when I was a kid and still find it very funny.

Saving Private Ryan

Haven't watched this in a while and it is still as amazing as when I first watched it. The D-Day scenes at the beginning are amazing and with surround sound it sounds amazing as well.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Deep Blue Sea

Geneticists faff around with shark DNA to try and create a cure for Alzheimer's. Needless to say, this does not go well!

Still love this film. The animatronic sharks are utterly amazing. And Samuel L Jackson.....!

Leon

I got to introduce a friend to one of my favourite films, about an Italian hitman forced to look after a 12-year-old girl after her family gets gunned down by corrupt DEA officers.

He loved it.

Chasing Amy

Comic book artist Ben Affleck falls in love with a woman with a chequered past, and struggles to come to terms with what he discovers.

A great, understated comedy. Proves that Kevin Smith could do great films back in the day.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Whisky Galore 1949 (Via BBCi) A still enjoyable classic Ealing comedy when aired :D, there has ben a 2016 remake version of this which is showing on SKY at the moment, so I'll give that gander next....;)

Starring:-Basil Radford,Joan Greenwood,James Robertson Justice,Gordon Jackson,Wylie Watson,Catherine Lacey,Jean Cadell,Bruce Seton,Henry Mollison,
Morland Graham,John Gregson,Gabrielle Blunt,Duncan Macrae and James Woodburn.

Islanders off the coast of Scotland compete with a stuffy English commander to recover 50,000 cases of whisky from a wrecked cargo vessel.

Geoff.

Member for

18 years

Been trying to get through a backlog of films that I have bought over the last few months.

Total Recall (Arnie version)

Loved this film when I was younger, though some of the effects don't hold up so well now. Still better than the Colin Farrell remake.

The film tells the story of a construction worker who suddenly finds himself embroiled in espionage on Mars and unable to determine if the experiences are real or the result of memory implants.

Good Morning Vietnam

My favourite Robin Williams movie. He stars as a Radio DJ, who the troops really like, but infuriates his superiors.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

One of the best looking CGI movies of its time and still holds up today.

The Spirits Within follows scientists Aki Ross and Doctor Sid in their efforts to free a post-apocalyptic Earth from a mysterious and deadly alien race known as the Phantoms, which has driven the remnants of humanity into "barrier cities". Aki and Sid must fight against General Hein, who wishes to use more violent means to end the conflict.

The Italian Job (Michael Caine version)

Comic caper movie about a plan to steal a gold shipment from the streets of Turin by creating a traffic jam.

Mary Poppins

Based on P. L. Travers's book series Mary Poppins. In turn of the century London, a magical nanny employs music and adventure to help two neglected children become closer to their father.

Die Hard, Die Hard 2: Die Harder and Die Hard With A Vengeance

Die Hard is my favourite Christmas movie of all time. Starring Bruce Willis as John McClane.

Die Hard -John McClane, officer of the NYPD, tries to save his wife Holly Gennaro and several others that were taken hostage by German terrorist Hans Gruber during a Christmas party at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles.
Die Hard 2 - John McClane attempts to avert disaster as rogue military operatives seize control of Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C.
Die Hard With A Vengeance - John McClane and a Harlem store owner are targeted by German terrorist Simon Gruber in New York City, where he plans to rob the Federal Reserve Building.

In response to DazDaMan's post.

Love Leon and is a film in my backlog that I have got to watch.

Kevin Smith is one of my favourite directors, especially his early work, then he seemed to lose his way from Jersey Girl onwards, though his TV work on Flash and Supergirl has been good.

Member for

12 years 9 months

Sat watching Odette which shows the courage of another WW2 heroine (who actually survived) and her suffering at the hands of the Gestapo.

Also has aviation involvement with film of Merlin engined Halifaxes taking off, and a post-war Hercules engined Halifax (underwing registration numbers clearly visable) in flight.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Following on from yesterdays viewing I watched the remake of Whisky Galore 2016. (Via Sky Cinema). I am sad to say that while it did have a few
funny moments it's not a patch on the original IMPO. It added an extra unwanted twist along with some mixing of storyline taken from the original that
never made sense to me. i.e in the original it set the password joke up in the remake there was no set up just the punch line ? ?
(I assume these changes was an attempt to put they're own stamp on the film ?) but that is just my opinion you either enjoy it or not simple!;)

The cast has recognisable talent from both sides of the border with stand outs George Fisher (Rabb C Nesbit),Eddie Izzard and James Cosmo who fit they're roles perfectly, while not being up to the original it should not put anybody off from viewing it, accept it for what it is as each person view on anything are not the same...:rolleyes:

Starring:-Gregor Fisher,Eddie Izzard,Sean Biggerstaff,Naomi Battrick,James Cosmo,Ellie Kendrick and Kevin Guthrie.

Geoff.

Member for

5 years 8 months

Who like adventure and comedy movie, Last Sunday I watched some dog movies. This is too much funny and full enjoy.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I was Monty's Double 1958 (Via BBCi). Another classic flag waving B/W war film with the usual suspects in starring roles, if you like the classics you should enjoy
this one....;)

Starring:-M. E. Clifton James,John Mills,Cecil Parker,Patrick Allen,Patrick Holt,Leslie Phillips,Michael Hordern,Marius Goring,Barbara Hicks,Duncan Lamont,
Anthony Sagar,John Gale,Kenneth J. Warren,James Hayter,Sid James,Patrick Connor also near the end of the film, the scriptwriter Bryan Forbes has a bit part as a young Lieutenant who assists Harvey in the beach rescue of M. E. Clifton James.

As D-Day approaches during World War II, British officers Major Harvey (John Mills) and Colonel E.F. Logan (Cecil Parker) plot to give the Germans misinformation
about their military strategy. When Harvey spots an actor (M. E. Clifton-James, playing himself in this true story) who looks just like British military leader General Montgomery, he uses him to impersonate the general in North Africa. James thus draws German troops away from Normandy, becoming both a hero and a major military target.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/I_Was_Monty%27s_Double_film_poster.jpg/220px-I_Was_Monty%27s_Double_film_poster.jpg

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
This Is The End 2013 (Via Sky Cinema) A very funny comedy that everyone should see....:D

Starring:-Jay Baruchel,Seth Rogen,Craig Robinson,Danny McBride,James Franco,Jonah Hill,Emma Watson,Kevin Hart,Paul Rudd,Rihanna,Christopher Mintz-Plasse,Mindy Kaling,David Krumholtz,Michael Cera,Martin Starr,Aziz Ansari,Channing Tatum,Backstreet Boys, and Jason Segel.

In Hollywood, actor James Franco is throwing a party with a slew of celebrity pals. Among those in attendance are his buddies Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson. Suddenly, an apocalypse of biblical proportions erupts, causing untold carnage among Tinseltown's elite and trapping Franco's party in his home. As the world they knew disintegrates outside, cabin fever and dwindling supplies threaten to tear the six friends apart.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Downfall

Fantastic German-made film about the last days in Hitler's bunker.

Astonishingly, it does manage to make Hitler seem like a much more human character, compared to some of the portrayals we've seen on the big screen.

If you like your war films, then this one is a must-see.

Member for

19 years 5 months

The Godfather...Still great after all these years.
It's especially good compared to the (too) many self-important, pseudo-art stuff being foisted on today's film goers.

​​​
It's good to see ​​​​Al Pacino as an infant and before he became a caricature of himself.
​​

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Jadoo Kings Of Curry 2013 (Via BBCi Available until 12/09) Charming and amusing comedy that anyone cane enjoy even if it contains a few Hindi with subtitles, easy to follow film with a feel good factor to it.

Starring:-Amara Karan,Harish Patel,Kulvinder Ghir,Tom Mison,Ray Panthaki,Madhur Jaffrey and Ravi Morjaria.

Two brothers, both wonderful chefs, fall out catastrophically. At the climax of their dispute they rip the family recipe book in half – one brother gets the starters and the other gets the main courses.They set up rival restaurants, on opposite sides of the same road, and spend the next twenty years trying to outdo each other.

Geoff.