The Last Film You Watched..... IV

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Sorry I've not checked in on here in a while - have only watched a couple of new films recently!

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Starring Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury, Gwilym Lee as Brian May, Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor, and Joseph Mazzello (yes, the little boy from Jurassic Park!) as John Deacon.
Flawed, but very enjoyable, biopic of the Queen frontman, from his joining of the band to the Live Aid concert in 1985 (which I remember watching on TV!). Worth a watch, even if you're not a die hard Queen fan. 4.5/5

Overlord (2018)

US troops are dropped over the Normandy beachhead to bring down a radar tower which could threaten the invasion fleet, but discover a much, much more sinister plot involving the villagers nearby. 4/5

The Tiger (2015)

A South Korean film about a retired hunter forced to pick up his rifle in order to hunt down the last Siberian tiger in the kingdom. Although the tiger acts like it's just escaped from The Matrix, the film is surprisingly good, and a little sad at the same time. 4/5

Member for

12 years 9 months

Good day fpr War films, on TV today. "Dambusters" on right now, and "633 Squadron" on later.

Forget or just ignore any controversies etc. and just sit back and enjoy.

Member for

5 years 5 months

The last film I saw in a cinema was Jaws the year it was released!
Call me a misery-guts if you like but I find most films to be contrived and boring.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
27vet - Ralph I had heard since that the film contains many scenes in which the Old Glory features so I think the main problem was with just that one scene on the moon ? It was sad really to see such outrage but I do understand why and in all honesty it shouldn't have been cut just for PC reasons. I don't know why they thought the need was there to cut it as it is an historical fact.
Whether most people agree or not history should be taught to include both good and bad historical points no matter what they are, you cannot hide history through white washing out certain history by being PC IMPO, how are people meant to learn if we alter historical fact ?

Back to the thread, I watched the Ipcress File 1965 over the Christmas period via BBCi, despite it's age still a notable Michael Caine film with the usual mix of 60's era co-stars and bit part actors that you will recognise, all in all a very enjoyable espionageish film to us old farts......:highly_amused:

Starring:- Michael Caine,Guy Doleman,Nigel Green,Sue Lloyd,Gordon Jackson,Aubrey Richards,Frank Gatliff,Thomas Baptiste,Oliver MacGreevy,Freda Bamford,Pauline Winter, Anthony Blackshaw,Barry Raymond,David Glover,Stanley Meadows,Peter Ashmore,Michael Murray,Anthony Baird,Tony Caunter,Douglas Blackwell and Glynn Edwards.

Tasked with investigating the kidnappings and brainwashed reappearances of top scientists, including Dr. Radcliffe (Aubrey Richards), the insubordinate British spy Harry Palmer (Michael Caine) navigates his way through criminals, secret agents, and his superiors (Nigel Green, Guy Doleman). While attempting to bring in the suspect Bluejay (Frank Gatliff), Palmer discovers a mysterious audiotape labeled "IPCRESS," an inconspicuous, but ominous, piece of evidence.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I, Daniel Blake 2016 ( Via the BBCi ) IMHO-I highly recommend this honest and very emotional at times portrayal of this countries benefit system and how it affects normal people. Showing the everyday struggles of two everyday folk who have to deal with bureaucracy at it's worst, the sad reality is the film is spot on for many in similar circumstances in the UK and for anybody reading this opinion who thinks I am talking out of my backside until your in that position personally you will never understand that.........:(

Starring:- Dave Johns,Hayley Squires,Dylan McKiernan,Briana Shann,Kate Rutter,Kema Sikazwe,Steven Richens and Gavin Webster.

Daniel Blake (Dave Johns) is a 59-year-old widowed carpenter who must rely on welfare after a recent heart attack leaves him unable to work. Despite his doctor's diagnosis, British authorities deny Blake's benefits and tell him to return to his job. As Daniel navigates his way through an agonizing appeal process, he begins to develop a strong bond with a destitute, single mother (Hayley Squires) who's struggling to take care of her two children

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The BFG 2016 (Via BBCi - Available until 7.30pm 25/01) One of Roald Dahl's best books as envisioned in film by Stephen Spielberg and his team, a great family film that all can enjoy with some fantastic CGI, the film has it's funny moments also including a scene near enough at the end involving the Queen :highly_amused:

Starring:- Ruby Barnhill,Mark Rylance (BFG Voice),Penelope Wilton,Jemaine Clement voice of (The Fleshlumpeater),Rebecca Hall,Rafe Spall,
Bill Hader voice of (The Bloodbottler),Michael Adamthwaite voice of (The Butcher Boy),Adam Godley voice of (The Manhugger),
Paul Moniz de Sa voice of (The Meatdripper),Jonathan Holmes voice of (The Childchewer),Ólafur Darri Ólafsson voice of (The Maidmasher),
Marilyn Norry,Chris Shields, Matt Frewer, and Geoffrey Wade.

Ten-year-old Sophie is in for the adventure of a lifetime when she meets the Big Friendly Giant (Mark Rylance). Naturally scared at first, the young girl soon realizes that the 24-foot behemoth is actually quite gentle and charming. As their friendship grows, Sophie's presence attracts the unwanted attention of Bloodbottler, Fleshlumpeater and other giants. After traveling to London, Sophie and the BFG must convince Queen Victoria to help them get rid of all the bad giants once and for all.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The Bargee 1964 (ViaTalking Pictures Channel/Sky328) Classic 60's UK comedy film with three much missed UK comedians from the small screen in this film along with many recognisable from the small screen in early rolls from they're own series or co stars and bit part actors that regularly appear along the main stars.............:)

Starring:- Harry H. Corbett,Hugh Griffith,Eric Sykes,Ronnie Barker,Julia Foster,Miriam Karlin,Eric Barker,Derek Nimmo,Norman Bird,
Richard Briers,Brian Wilde,Ronnie Brody,George A. Cooper,Ed Devereaux,Wally Patch,Michael Robbins,Jo Rowbottom,Una Stubbs,
Eileen Way,Rita Webb,Patricia Hayes and Godfrey Winn.

A lock-keeper causes chaos for barges when he refuses to open a canal's locks after discovering his daughter is pregnant to a canal Casanova.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The Malta Story 1953 (Via Talking Pictures/Sky 328), Classic British war drama based on the Malta siege which was awarded the George cross for they're bravery and endurance of both military and civilians.

Starring:- Alec Guinness,Jack Hawkins,Anthony Steel,Muriel Pavlow,Renée Asherson,Hugh Burden,Nigel Stock,Reginald Tate,
Ralph Truman,Flora Robson,Ronald Adam,Derek Aylward,Peter Barkworth,Ivor Barnard,Peter Bull,Stuart Burge,Edward Chaffers,
Michael Craig, Rosalie Crutchley,Maurice Denham,Jerry Desmonde,Thomas Heathcote,Gordon Jackson,Geoffrey Keen,Dermot Kelly,
Sam Kydd,Richard Leven,Colin Loudan,Victor Maddern,Michael Medwin,Lee Patterson,William Russell,Marc Sheldon,Harold Siddons and Noel Willman. Along with many extras from the Maltese population.

During World War II, British photo-reconnaissance pilot Peter (Alec Guinness) discovers that the Italians are planning a secret invasion of Malta, a strategically important island nation critical to keeping the Allied supply lines open. Though they have few resources left, Peter and his commanding officer, Frank (Jack Hawkins), resolve to fight off the enemy and save the island. At the same time, Peter struggles to keep his relationship with a local girl from falling apart.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
A Shot In The Dark 1964 (Via Talking Pictures Channel/Sky 328) Classic very funny Peter Sellers comedy in the film that started the series based on the original 1963 Pink Panther film Clouseau character which are all good fun to watch still to this day IMHPO. After Peter's death the others lost that vital comic ingredient IMO yet they still produced more. You can search Youtube for the panther outtake's one of the funniest has to be the lift scene where one of the cast farts (intentionally) and all are corpesing ...:D

Starring:- Peter Sellers,Elke Sommer,George Sanders,Herbert Lom,Tracy Reed,Graham Stark,Moira Redmond,Vanda Godsell,Maurice Kaufmann,Ann Lynn,
David Lodge ,André Maranne,Martin Benson,Burt Kwouk,Reginald Beckwith,Douglas Wilmer,Bryan Forbes,André Charrise,Howard Greene,John Herrington Jack Melford, Victor Baring,Victor Beaumont,Tutte Lemkow,Hurtado De Cordoba Ballet,Fred Hugh,Rose Hill and the Tahitian Dance Group. corpse

A chambermaid at the Ballon residence in Paris is accused of murdering her lover. Against the wishes of Chief Inspector Dreyfuss, the infamous Clouseau is assigned to the case. Death follows the maid wherever she goes, yet Clouseau is stubbornly convinced of her innocence.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Minesweeper 1943 (Via Talking Pictures channel/SKY 328) A flag waving US B&W film that is a bit dull IMHO, none the less if your into any old war film then this will be right up your alley just don't expect to much from it.....;)

Starring:- Richard Arlen as Richard Houston,Jean Parker,Russell Hayden,Guinn "Big Boy" Williams,Emma Dunn,Charles D. Brown,Frank Fenton,Chick Chandler,
Douglas Fowley,Billy Nelson,Grant Withers and Jon Gilbreath.

The film is a fictional account of a former navy deserter who returns to duty after the attack on Pearl Harbour, under an assumed name as a sailor aboard a minesweeper in World War II.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale

Fast becoming a favourite. 9/10

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
The Big Job - 1965 (Via Talking Pictures Channel/Sky 328). Classic British 60's B&W slapstick comedy even after all these years, featuring well know actors of the time who would be more connected to the Carry On films for they're fame, also some for acting in they're own shows or well loved characters in British sit-coms.

Starring:- Sid James,Sylvia Syms,Dick Emery,Joan Sims,Lance Percival,Jim Dale,Deryck Guyler,Edina Ronay,Reginald Beckwith, Michael Ward,Brian Rawlinson,David Horne,Frank Forsyth,Frank Thornton and Wanda Ventham.

Inept bank-robbers find that, while the three were in prison, a police station was built near the tree where the loot was cached.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Finally got around to watching Black Panther 2018 (Via Sky Cinema). While I thoroughly enjoyed the film just a couple of minor snags IMPO some of the music did not fit the action (i.e The car chase also some of the fight scenes CGI was bad when compared along side other films i.e.Aquaman CGI ) apart from those a good movie easily watchable a second time around....;)

Starring:- Chadwick Boseman,Michael B. Jordan,Lupita Nyong'o,Danai Gurira,Martin Freeman,Daniel Kaluuya,Letitia Wright,
Winston Duke,Angela Bassett,Forest Whitaker,Andy Serkis,John Kani,Florence Kasumba,Sterling K. Brown,Isaach de Bankolé,
Connie Chiume,Dorothy Steel,Danny Sapani,Sydelle Noel,Marija Abney,Janeshia Adams-Ginyard,Maria Hippolyte,Marie Mouroum,J
énel Stevens,Zola Williams,Christine Hollingsworth,Shaunette Renée Wilson,Nabiyah Be,(Trevor Noah - Wakandan ship A.I,),Stan Lee, and (Sebastian Stan - End Credit scene).

After the death of his father, T'Challa returns home to the African nation of Wakanda to take his rightful place as king. When a powerful enemy suddenly reappears, T'Challa's mettle as king -- and as Black Panther -- gets tested when he's drawn into a conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk. Faced with treachery and danger, the young king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and secure the safety of his people.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Watched the excellent Avengers Infinity War (Pt1) 2018 (Via Sky Cinema) Easily watchable again with a good mixture of Action/Sci Fi/Adventure with really well timed comic elements :D The film blends in Marvel universe characters from other stand alone movies and is a must for any fan of the genre. The CGI is quite impressive especially THANOS and you wouldn't believe this is the same studio who had some questionable CGI in Black Panther IMPO......:cool:

Starring:- Robert Downey Jr.Chris Hemsworth,Mark Ruffalo,Chris Evans,Scarlett Johansson,Benedict Cumberbatch,Don Cheadle,
Tom Holland,Chadwick Boseman,Paul Bettany,Elizabeth Olsen,Anthony Mackie,Sebastian Stan,Danai Gurira,Letitia Wright,
Dave Bautista,Zoe Saldana,(Josh Brolin - THANOS),Chris Pratt.Danai Gurira,Letitia Wright,William Hurt,(Kerry Condon-voice of Stark's A.I.), Winston Duke,Florence Kasumba,Jacob Batalon,Isabella Amara,Tiffany Espensen,Ethan Dizon,Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders,
Terry Notary,Tom Vaughan-Lawlor,Carrie Coon,Michael James Shaw,(Ross Marquand voices Johann Schmidt / Red Skull),Stan Lee,
Stephen McFeely and Kenneth Branagh.

Adrift in space with no food or water, Tony Stark sends a message to Pepper Potts as his oxygen supply starts to dwindle. Meanwhile, the remaining Avengers -- Thor, Black Widow, Captain America and Bruce Banner -- must figure out a way to bring back their vanquished allies for an epic showdown with Thanos -- the evil demigod who decimated the planet and the universe.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Watched the classic 60's B/W Sci-Fi The Day The Earth Caught Fire 1961 (Via Talking Pictures - SKY channel 368). A look at what could happen to the earth if it's tilt shifted dramatically by human activity.......:cool:.

The earth's axis does wobble in the real-time and I cannot help think that the chaos we are currently experiencing has a connection along with some of our own activity ? Also to me it is an indicator of what could possibly happen if the climate chaos continues as it does on a more basic level with humans being the way we are.

Starring:- Edward Judd,Leo McKern,Janet Munro,Michael Goodliffe,Bernard Braden,Reginald Beckwith,Renée Asherson,ArthurChristiansen,Austin Trevor,Edward Underdown,Ian Ellis,Peter Butterworth.Arthur Christiansen (Actual Express Editor) and Michael Caine (Copper directing traffic)

Peter Stenning (Edward Judd) is a depressed British reporter who gets by with the help of his friend, veteran journalist Bill Maguire (Leo McKern). Along with weather forecaster Jeannie Craig (Janet Munro), Peter and Bill discover that simultaneous U.S. and Russian nuclear explosions have drastically altered the earth's rotation. Fires and earthquakes ravage cities all over the world, and chaos and sickness descend upon the frightened survivors as they try to put the planet back on its axis.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Bohemian Rhapsody

Managed to rack up two more viewings of this on DVD, and one on blu-ray recently!

We Bought a Zoo

Loosely based on the true story of Dartmoor Zoo, this Matt Damon vehicle also stars Scarlett Johansson as a zookeeper trying hard to deal with the inexperienced new owners of a rundown zoo in the USA. Pretty good, actually.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Daz - If you liked (We Bought A Zoo) you should like (If you never watched it first time around ? ) this BBC drama (Our Zoo) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gvbkz a very good IMHO mini series drama about the beginnings of Chester Zoo.......:eagerness:

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Tommorrowland 2015 via (SKY Cinema) This Sci-Fi film was not very popular as I think it was a bit to ( Look what we are doing to the planet! ) rather than concentrating on just a good escapism film in the Sci-Fi genre. IMHO I don't think it was that bad a movie really ignoring the wagging finger at the audience, still like I say you like what you like in the genre and it is not for everyone being a Sci-Fi fan or the casual watcher.....;)

Starring:- George Clooney,Hugh Laurie,Britt Robertson,Raffey Cassidy,Tim McGraw,Kathryn Hahn,Keegan-Michael Key,Chris Bauer,
Thomas Robinson,Pierce Gagnon,Matthew Maccaull and Judy Greer.

A former boy genius (George Clooney) and gifted teenager (Britt Robertson) set out on a dangerous mission to unearth the secrets of "Tomorrowland", an enigmatic location caught between time and space.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Finally I have watched ARRIVAL 2016 (Via Netflix) Not every Sci-Fi fans cup of tea but I really enjoyed this movie......:eagerness:

A very different type of time travel film just a good down to earth what if movie without too much CGI that seems to accompany this genre at the moment. I don't mind CGI when it is essential and good but some are really atrocious (Black Panther) even though having millions spent on them.

Starring:- Amy Adams,Jeremy Renner,Forest Whitaker,Michael Stuhlbarg,Mark O'Brien,Tzi Ma,Abigail Pniowsky,Julia Scarlett Dan,
Jadyn Malone and Frank Schorpion.

Linguistics professor Louise Banks (Amy Adams) leads an elite team of investigators when gigantic spaceships touch down in 12 locations around the world. As nations teeter on the verge of global war, Banks and her crew must race against time to find a way to communicate with the extraterrestrial visitors. Hoping to unravel the mystery, she takes a chance that could threaten her life and quite possibly all of mankind.

Geoff.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Last film was Alpha, how mans best friend became mans best friend. Some what suspicious events but somewhat plausible. A good flick once you get the hang of reading the subtitles as no one really speaks Neanderthal these days.
Cheers
Itch