Turning the clock back!!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

12.5p Grandad :)

Moggs, I did say, "Young ones;), who are you trying to kid?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

bazv. You got me there baz, Yes I was with 115 at Westwood, Peterborough. L. Gary, who is also a member of this forum has shed loads of newspaper clippings regarding our escapades, (And believe me, there were many) How did you come by this info, I started work in 56, so I would not have been in the photo, but Laurance has several of me, God, I was handsom then;)
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

BumbleBee, I was an Ovalteenie, I even had the very light tan mug with the face and one EAR to use as the handle.You have nearly given the game away Ann by posting on here:diablo:
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

I remember the bread van, pulled by a horse, and being told to follow it along the road until it SH** on the road, I had to collect it with a dustpan and bucket for mums roses,

Iv'e been in it ever since, it's only the depth that varies:D

Jim

Lincoln .7

Member for

19 years 2 months

bazv. How did you come by this info,
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Cos you blabbed it on the internet of course ;)

Laurence and I were going to pop along to westwood sometime but we never got round to it LOL

rgds baz

Member for

13 years 10 months

Radio again, who remembers Dick Barton, Special Agent, and Snowy White?

Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

bazv. baz. I don't remember anything about me and 115 ont tinternet.
Drop me a PM with your name etc,
Jim.
Lincoln. 7

Member for

17 years 11 months

Watching your exhaled breath icy cold as you ran upstairs at bedtime in the winter as only the kitchen was warm.
Letting the coal man in to pour the coal into the bunker under the stairs.He carried the sack on his back from the open flatbed truck.
Dustmen who actually came to your front door and carried the dustbin to the cart and not a black bin bag in sight.

Member for

17 years 6 months

...saving a few pounds and popping along to the local model shop for a Matchbox Tiger Tank...

Airfix Tiger Tank! ;)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Blimey, where do I start?

Having a small bottle of milk (with straw!) at school during the morning break.

Catching tadpoles and newts in the local pond (now long-gone).

Going shopping with Mum, and getting a reward of a Dinky toy or an Airfix kit from Woolworths for helping her carry the bags.

Here's a Youtube linky which no doubt a lot of us old(er) ones will relate to:

Richard Digance - 200 Remembers

Don

Member for

13 years 10 months

My very 1st pair of long trousers, after having to wear "Shorts" for so long. And also my mother making , from a length of elastic, bands to hold my socks up, which were then, invariably too tight and hurt like hell.

Getting the cane, after being sent out of class, and having to stand outside the Headmasters closed door awating the sentance to be carried out, I never did get to figure out how he knew I was there behind the closed door, but he did.;)
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

16 years

Standing on the school field and watching the Brabazon fly over...

Member for

13 years 10 months

robmack. Exactly in the same place at school as you were when it flew over Peterborough.

It was absolutely awesome.
Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years

Re 28

Lincoln 7

Paul Temple; Rockfist Rogan; Wilson; Hotspur; Adventure; Champion; The Wizard. Lord Snooty; Desperate Dan.

Wind up gramophones with a picture of a dog on the front looking into another gramophone. The Laughing Policeman - would that be you Jim ?

John Green

Member for

17 years 6 months

Airfix Tiger Tank!

My very first model, and I couldn't glue the wheels on right and lost one, was about 5 and my mum helped me glue them on and found the missing wheel were the carpet monster had swallowed it.

The Ready Break advert with the kid wrapped up to the nines going over a bridge in what looked like the lakes while he glowed... We used to laugh and say it must be in Windscale village.. ( sellafield )

Rag and bowman that used to have a horse drawn cart...

Penny laces, penny chew toffees, ( those long thin strips about a foot long ) and the Saturday morning club at the cinema watching the likes of those mentioned already.. Dick Barton etc

What a wicked thread and bringing back a lot of memories

John, the gramophone was HMV ( His Masters Voice) we had it on a record player

Member for

13 years 6 months

Even I remember coal waggons, the rag and bone man with his horse and cart, the 'egg-man' (mobile greengrocer), ha'penny's, and the fact that you could wander the streets all day and night without the slightest possibility of being killed or worse.. I used to save up my pocket money for a Matchbox car, and you could have a feast for a 10p mix up. Our local sweetshop still sold candy cigarettes by the 1/4 or 1/2 lb.

I'm 34, so just a mere child compared to the majority on here....

Member for

13 years 10 months

[QUOTE=TonyT;1899904]

What a wicked thread and bringing back a lot of memories

Tony. That was the whole idea of it, to jog the old grey cells, and share each others experiences.

Seems liked it has done the trick;)

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

15 years 10 months

Were are all the youngsters extracting the water then, or is the forum populated by us oldsters?

I remember rationing very well, but of course living in a rural village a lot of food stuff particularly, wasn't in short supply at all, but my sweet allowance was 1 Mars Bar and a small paper bag of my choice, for a whole week :eek:.

My Dad was fond of telling me how lucky we were to be able to get whatever food we needed fresh and cheap. We did have a milkman who delivered to the door, but even that was rationed so if we needed more we just wandered round to the dairy (same farm) with our own can were rationing was quietly ignored and our can filled up.

As others have mentioned we roamed the local fields at will with virtually no restrictions apart from the usual warnings about dangerous animals,one farm would very often have a bull out in the field it would be tethered to a 56lb weight with a long rope attached to a ring in it's nose.

We were told not to go in this field when the bull was out, but of course smart **** kids had worked out that said bull couldn't do a right lot with the weight dragging on it's nose, came the day the bull was out in the field with the cows and of course supposedly getting on with the reason for his existence (without the weight attached to his nose).

To a bunch of young lads the concept of sexual activity and the agitation of males was alien to us, so of course we were taking our usual short cut across the field, luckily one of the lads noticed said bull was free at about the same time the bull noticed us, even with a good start and not far to go we soon realised just how fast the damn thing was, we made it and chalked up another little experience in the learning curve of life.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Having only three channels on TV.

I remember getting our first TV in 1953, according to Mum we got it in time for the Coronation of our present Queen, according to Dad we got it to watch the FA Cup Final Blackpool v Bolton, (the Matthews final).

The reality my Dad worked his holidays on a local farm during harvest time to get the money together.

Ultra mod at the time, the Pye Black Box one of the few tellys you could watch at the time without drawing curtains or turning lights down, just one channel but ready to take this new fangled commercial channel which was under preperation.