Turning the clock back!!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

Laurence, Do you remember the day, (Some airfield in Scotland), when a Hawker Hunter had it's nose wheel stuck up, and couldn't land?.
The C.O. of the airfield ordered the runway to be foamed, and the Hunter landed safely with the nose wheel still stuck up?.
I think it was the very first time that foam had been used in said circumstances.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

I have similar recollections from CCF field days and camps. It was a hang-over from the war I suppose and it all seemed much more relaxed, then, didn't it. I recall a camp at Wittering when a few of us got some extended flying in a Provost which some visiting bod with a lot of scrambled egg had flown in.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Hang on, Jim. You are second from right. Right? Next to Wally. Indeed I did give several photos to the local paper. Not sure if it included this one. I'll check. We had some good professional photos as Geoff Heighton, professional photographer with the local rag, was one of our officers.
Re the C-119, you were one of the lucky ones to get the fight. We others were not allowed on that day!
ASR boats? I didn't get that either. The only ASR boat ride I got was in 1958 at Gibraltar during an "Overseas Flight" by Hastings from Lyneham.

Laurance, Far right, front row, Good God man, can't you tell by me being the most handsom of the load of ragamuffins?.:D (standing next to Wally Mountains left.)

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 9 months

Great to have those memories - both of you!:) Wish I was still 10 stone, Linc!!;)

I am sure you are a fine figure of a man even now Chas.(He says,lieing through his teeth) :highly_amused:
I tend to think it was because we were more active in those days, no P.S 2s, Computer games, no, we were out in the fields, at times helping the farmers get their crops in for a few bob a day. I recon that's why todays kids are so fat, junk food, no excercise, sweets etc, which I remember being on Ration Book issue back in those days, along with certain other things. I still have my sweets Ration Book.
I blame their parents for todays kids being the size some of them are, but there again, they may well be not well off enough to buy good healthy foods.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

18 years 1 month

Jim and Charlie: I can't remember why the USAF C-119 was there, if I ever knew. Nor was I aware of a Hunter on its nose!

Member for

11 years 5 months

I am sure you are a fine figure of a man even now Chas.(He says,lieing through his teeth) :highly_amused:
I tend to think it was because we were more active in those days, no P.S 2s, Computer games, no, we were out in the fields, at times helping the farmers get their crops in for a few bob a day. I recon that's why todays kids are so fat, junk food, no excercise, sweets etc, which I remember being on Ration Book issue back in those days, along with certain other things. I still have my sweets Ration Book.
I blame their parents for todays kids being the size some of them are, but there again, they may well be not well off enough to buy good healthy foods.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Haha!! A friend for life! If only, Linc......sitting in my car for hours on end doing thousands of miles a year did it for me I reckon. At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!:D

Member for

13 years 9 months

Sitting in a car Blah, Blah, so was I, 8hrs a day, 7 straights on the trot, Chas, get the bike out and go for a spin, no excuses excepted.:D

Jim.

Lincoln .7

Now firing on ALL cylinders.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Yes but you were on police rations!!:eek: Yup, cycle every day and swim 3 or 4 times a week and football with a grandson a couple of times a week!! Rarely drink now so......:rolleyes::apologetic:

Member for

15 years 10 months

they may well be not well off enough to buy good healthy foods.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

One of the saddest things is that back in the day, fresh healthy food direct from the farm (or as near as poss) was actually the cheapest option.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Gil. That's very true, however, living where I do, ALL the fields are stuffed with growing veg etc, and one would think, that as we must in theory supply nearly most of England with fresh veg, it's surprising that when we buy veg from our local shops or Supermarkets, it's nearly always dearer than if we were to buy them further North or dahn Sarf.
At Christmas, I nearly always nip out to an isolated field and "Lift" a stick of Sprouts, after getting permission from the owner, obviously( "Cough, cough")
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

In that last paragraph it's good to see an ex-copper setting an example to our young forum members!!

Member for

16 years

I grew up in New Zealand.

I remember the freedom of our childhoods, the 'playing out', the Chopper bikes and the complete lack of Health & Safety and Child Protection hysteria. I didn't sit any exam until I was 13, I went to the local secondary school (didn't have to sit an exam - just went there) and I used to throw bangers at my friends on November 5.

Mother's weekly shopping was delivered by Mr Day from the local shop in the back of an HR Holden station wagon.

Member for

11 years 5 months

ALL the fields are stuffed with growing veg etc, and one would think, that as we must in theory supply nearly most of England with fresh veg, it's surprising that when we buy veg from our local shops or Supermarkets, it's nearly always dearer than if we were to buy them further North or dahn Sarf.

Lincoln .7

Linc - the problem is twofold, retail marketing and the scourge of the TV chef. If we went back to eating what was in season and accepting bent carrots it would be very different. Most of the veg you see growing will be destined for the big vegetable markets and supermarket distribution systems. A small percentage is sold locally and some of that to some local supermarkets. We are very fortunate here in having 4 greengrocers within a mile or so and so have great choice of fresh locally grown veg at prices often less than the supermarkets, but always much fresher.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Chas, You hit the nail on the head, EX, being the operative word. Now be honest, wouldn't you?.
You would be gobsmacked to see just how much food that has not been picked,, is ploughed back into the fields around here, you would think they would donate it to Charity, or some other good cause.
As the old saying goes, "Waste not, wan't not".
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 9 months

Hi mrtotty, we must be related, my upbringing was just about the same as yours, and look how I turned out..:D
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

Chas, You hit the nail on the head, EX, being the operative word. Now be honest, wouldn't you?.
You would be gobsmacked to see just how much food that has not been picked,, is ploughed back into the fields around here, you would think they would donate it to Charity, or some other good cause.
As the old saying goes, "Waste not, wan't not".
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Haha!! To be honest. No!:eek:

I can believe it and used to see the waste when we lived in Cambridgeshire. I am sure that the EU is to blame somewhere along the line......and the big retailers who will not accept produce if it is not "perfect". I know it's not exactly your favourite neck of the woods but one of the joys of France is the market, where on two or more days a week at even the smallest towns you have a choice of beautiful fresh veg from several market traders.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Haha!! To be honest. No!:eek:

I am sure that the EU is to blame somewhere along the line....

I am CERTAIN the E.U. is to blame for very many things that are wrong with our Country. When we are ruled by the E.U. on so many matters, it makes me think why do we need 650 M.P.s who seemingly stick to every edict that is thrown at us, whereas F. F. F.......(Sorry, I just can't say that word). just sticks 2 fingers up, and takes no notice of them.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

Aw, go on, I am sure you could say the word if you really tried hard, especially as you secretly admire their attitude!!!!:dev2::D

Member for

13 years 9 months

Settle for FROGS Chas?. :D

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

If you like, why not? I quite like being a "rosbeef", their monicker for us!