Sad day for "Petrol Heads"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

It has been reported that the car designer,Sergio Pininfarina, designer of Ferrari, and many other cars, has died at the age of 85, in Turin.

As a somewhat petrol head myself, he will be sorley missed by many.

Any one know which other cars he had a hand in designing?.

Jim.
Lincoln ,7

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

Didn't he do the BL Marina or some such BL rubbish.
RIP and condolances to his family but i was never a fan of Ferrari's.

Member for

12 years 9 months

I think Sergio was mainly Ferrari , Maserati & some Alfas. The Actual Farina design studio has its hand in a load of stuff from the Austin A40 ( my dads first car ) to such exotica as the Daewoo Tacuma .

I dont think Farina was Marina --I think the ITAL design bureau was involved in that Classic ????

Member for

19 years

The design of the Marina is attributed to Roy Haynes.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Newforest.

We had the Marina as a Patrol Cars, I was driving one, one day, when the rear Offside wheel came off, and went past me.
A Sgt had the same happen to his car. They were all "Stood down" and the fault was that the wheel studs were shearing off, causing the wheel to detach itself from the car.They had been made with an inferior metal, (Weak).
The fault was soon rectified, and we had them back again.

They were a fairly fast car in their time.
My favourite, and most reliable was the Volvo 144,(?) although the very long gear lever took a bit of getting used to.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 1.8 Marina shared the same block as the MGB so I guess the 'cop motor' leant in that direction.

Moggy

Member for

13 years 10 months

Moggy, You must have a good memory;) your right, the only problem was, was that the only colour they could get was blue, when the "In" colour was white, as still is.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

17 years 6 months

The 1.8 Marina shared the same block as the MGB...

Like in Dr Strangelove’s stop-motion engine thread?

I once rebuilt one but the whole thing seemed to be designed to get as much metal under the bonnet as was humanly possible!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Pininfarina's work for BMC predated the Marina.

As has been mentioned the sharp-edged A40 replaced the curvy little A35 and the A55 Cambridge replaced its rounder predecessor.

A55, just like my Dad had pictured below. It would have cost his firm several hundred pounds when new in 1958/9. Now it costs nearly £3,000

Moggy

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/austin/2778699.jpg

Member for

11 years 10 months

Did the Peugeot 406 coupe as I recall. Well, it had a Pininfarina badge.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Indeed they did. Annoyed Ferrari as it took a lot of design lines from the Ferrari 360. (Penned by the same design team at the same time) I drive a 406 coupe. Still looks great, classic timeless Pininfarina design.

Member for

13 years 10 months

[QUOTE=Moggy C;1907337]Pininfarina's work for BMC predated the Marina.

As has been mentioned the sharp-edged A40 replaced the curvy little A35 and the A55 Cambridge replaced its rounder predecessor.

I had the Cambridge, rear n/s spring broke once, and no more trouble. I remember I got just over 30,000 miles from a set of Michelin X tyres.
On the job however we had the Westminster, which had the "Kick down" facility, if you were after another car, and gave the accelorator pedal down quick, you got a sudden burst of power, but they were a beast at high speed.
The Police had Webber carbs fitted, which frequently went out of sync, Raymond May, of Bourne B.R.M. were the Company we used to take them to, to get the carbs re set, and any mechanical probs sorted.
I wished I had had a camera back in those days, to catch some photos of the cars, (Racing) that they were building, as I was allowed to wander around the whole works, Ahhh, Happy days.
Another great British racing Company gone.

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 10 months

I noticed when in Greece a few weeks ago that the trams in Athens are one of his designs. Look very good too!

Regards

Member for

12 years 9 months

More Farina designs..

Attachments