What's going on, SAR , and others ?.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

thats the one i use too Charlie, i cant see aircraft on it

Member for

13 years 10 months

Linc - this is the one I use http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/, but there are no choppers on it - just surface vessels. Which are you using?

Charlie and Scott. It's difficult for a start, because unless there is a "Shout" they will not be airborn. The most frequent one I see is the SAR Helicopter from Lerwick, they seem to fly quite a lot of the time, All the SARs are not, as you will have seen, not listed on the different vessels as shown on the left hand side of the screen,
It's a case of doing your own SAR and hope you get a hit, as I stated, they are shown up as very light blue.
Try all the major Ports, ie Southampton, Plymouth etc.
Seek, and ye shall find.:)
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

It's 16.17. and the SAR aircraft, designated .....SAR 1192 is flying off Waterford.BTW, I use the same program..Live Ship Map AIS.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks a lot, Linc - got that one, so now I know how to find them 'twill be a doddle!!:D

Member for

13 years 10 months

I take it you registered, and that you have added that one to your "Fleet?",
There a quite a lot of SARs around at any given time, Whatever the weather. Have you tried the windspeed facility for the area they search in, when a SHOUT goes up?,
Jim.

Lincoln .7

Member for

19 years 11 months

Loose-Head.

I didn't know until a few days ago, there are 600 decomissioned rigs that need to be dismantled, but no one will take the job on, so they are just being left to rot away,

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Jim, Charliehunt.

Thanks for the heads up on the maps, will certainly be taking a nosey at them.

Decomissioning a rig comes in 2 basic stages. Firstly the abandonment of the wells. Abandoning a well is a relatively simple process although experience has taught me that when dealing with things that you can't see up to 30,000 feet below the earths surface that something will invariably try and 'bite you in the ****' !!
There are 2 basic types of wells. Producers and water injectors. A producer does just that, produces oil / gas. However in a lot of older wells, the natural reservoir pressure reduces over a period of time and another well will be drilled into the same formation. This well will inject water to force as much of the recoverable oil out as possible. This means that we get a mix of hydrocarbons and water back at surface from the producing well, which is not a problem as the platform has a 'seperation train' that does exactly what it says - seperates the water from the oil.
Unfortunately there are by-products from this practice to consider such as LSA (low specific activity) scale which is radioactive by nature, Co2, H2s, biocides etc etc. These will normally all be present in the pipe work on the platorm topsides where the basic refining process of the hydrocarbons takes place before being pumped back to town. This is the major barrier when it comes to de-commissioning the rig - costly, environmentally unfriendly, and a political hot potato if you get it wrong. no wonder the operators stay away from it for as long as they can !!

Fortunately (for me) I deal on the well's side of things, and not decommissioning !!!

As for the response from the SAR, shipping etc, personally (although these days I've swapped the North Sea for the Middle East) I'm glad that such a response was swift and comprehensive. Sometimes you can feel pretty exposed out there and knowing that the back-up is there when needed is comforting.