Rupert Murdoch apologises over Gerald Scarfe cartoon

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4338264,00.html

Ok, Murdoch apologising is interesting, but is this cartoon really anti-Semitic?

It relates to an Israeli policy, but am I too thick skinned to see anything else here?

Of course, BBC etc won't show it (even with a warning, click here BUT you may not like it....is surely ok) - or they don't show it in case it causes offence.

Original post

Member for

11 years 6 months

To my mind this is all OTT. Scarfe has been drawing scurrilous, near-the-knuckle and usually very funny cartoons for about 40 years and I cannot see that this is any worse than some of his previous efforts, most of which are designed to shock as well as amuse.

Member for

16 years 1 month

Why apologise for that? Like most excellent cartoons, it tells an uncomfortable truth.

Yes, we know about the Holocaust, and we know it was a terrible episode in history, but the fact of it does not deflect from the need to criticise certain aspects of Israeli policy with regard to Palestinians, which are just plain wrong.

It is not in the least anti-Semitic to point this out, in my view. Rupert Murdoch is beneath contempt for all sorts of reasons and his grovelling, backside-covering 'apology' just makes him worse.

He is concerned not for the welfare of Holocaust victims, Israelis, Palestinians or anyone else, for that matter - just his bottom line.:mad:

Member for

14 years

This is going to be like the "Sachsgate". More publicity, and more people will go to have a look and get offended.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Or, lots more people will look, most of whom will be amused, and those who looked in order to be offended, will be!

Member for

13 years

Re 3

MrTotty

How very sensible.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Mr Totty

Just seen your edit. Agreed!