What are the Aviation 7 Wonders of the World?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

I was wondering what you all consider are Aviation's 7 wonders. Those defining moments, technical innovations, human endeavors that stand out amongst all the others?

1. The Wright Brothers first flight. The first. A defining moment.
2. The Ejection Seat. Developed for one purpose. To save lives.
3. The Jet Engine.
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. Concorde. Concorde could be considered the peak of aviation development. Never again will we fly as fast, high and for so long.

I'm excluding Space Aviation such as the Shuttle. More Ballistic than aeronautic.

Original post

Member for

11 years 6 months

I was wondering what you all consider are Aviation's 7 wonders. Those defining moments, technical innovations, human endeavors that stand out amongst all the others?

2. The Ejection Seat. Developed for one purpose. To save lives.
3. The Jet Engine.
4. ? Supersonic Flight
5. ? And all the firsts in a way...
6. ? Budget air travel for all, despite its disadvantages, has helped to reduce the size of our globe.
7. Concorde. Concorde could be considered the peak of aviation development. Never again will we fly as fast, high and for so long.

I'm excluding Space Aviation such as the Shuttle. More Ballistic than aeronautic.

Your question marks with suggestions...

Member for

17 years 11 months

2. Alcock and Brown Atlantic crossing
3. The Jet Engine.
4. DC-3 The kick start for the airline industry
5. Mossie just because !
6. Boeing 747 bringing air travel to the common oiks
7. Concorde. Concorde could be considered the peak of aviation development. Never [ oh i wouldn't say never ]again will we fly as fast, high and for so long.

Member for

18 years 7 months

The helicopter for one. Think of all the jobs no other machine can do.

Member for

13 years 10 months

I am surprised no one has mentioned the development,, and the saviour of Britain during WW2, The Spitfire, and Hurricane.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

20 years 7 months

Aircraft carrier development
Harrier VSTOL

Member for

13 years

Wright Flyer
Helicopter
ME262
Harrier
DC3
Concorde
SR71

Member for

19 years 5 months

I am surprised no one has mentioned the development,, and the saviour of Britain during WW2, The Spitfire, and Hurricane.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Historically significant of course, but not great technological leaps. The Bf-109 was just as good (and better in some areas), and the A6M, P-47, P-38, Hellcat, Corsair and Mustang were just around the corner.

Whereas the DC-2/3 was leaps ahead of any other transport, as was the Concorde, and the Harrier and SR-71 could do things no other aircraft could do. While the Me-262 was first, it's value was limited. Perhaps a jet fighter that played a larger part in the operational development of jet fighters would be better on a list (I'll let you people argue which it should be).

Member for

11 years 6 months

Mind you under the OP's category of "defining moments" the Spit and Hurri were just that in terms of their effect on the direction of part of a world war. I wouldn't have included them but therein lies the challenge. Almost every step in aviation was a defining moment - we have been invited to choose seven. That's the problem.