"Ding Dong The Dinosaur is Dead" ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 5 months

Don't necessarily believe what you read in the papers, Trump!!:eek: But, in essence, you are right to some extent. But isn't the problem that politics is not as polarising as you suggest. Blair moved Labour towards the centre as has Cameron the Tories. Milliband is attempting to move the party back to its natural roots, with limited success. So we have a vast majority of near-centrist politicians being voted for by a generally centrist electorate. The days of philosophically conviction politicians like Thatcher, Benn and Foot are long behind us.

Member for

17 years 6 months

The PM and their party being voted out has over stayed their welcome popularity drops and they are replaced...

The problem with politics is not really politicians, they are just a scapegoat, the problem is reality; people get disillusioned because the politicians in power cannot make things better...

...but no politician can just make things better. Or they would, wouldn't they?

The problem is reality.....you can't just vote everybody better-off!

Yes, you can change things around a bit; you can redistribute the existing wealth differently, but no government is sitting on a mountain of gold. All the money that government spends has to come from the taxpayer, and it is never enough; all governments have had to borrow huge amounts to cover the shortfall.

Member for

11 years 5 months

It's not about making things better it's about making people feel better and so think things are better at any given time.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Things sometimes are better, and things sometimes are worse, but so much of this is completely out of the control of any national leader. The electorate seems to have lost touch with the reality of living in a globalised world and still think that the Prime Minister can control everything; or at least they blame the Prime Minister when things are not to their liking...

...which is often!

Member for

10 years 7 months

Re 115

...." even as a popular leader..."

Remind me. How many elections did she win? Apart from you and Snafu she surely had someone voting for her.

Gosh, her and Blair - a right pair - capture the attention of the country? Yes, she won the odd election (although count up how many people didn't vote for her... No, that is not the way to mandate leadership but it sure is quite a judgement on the political system) but then so did Blair and I wouldn't want him back either. Anyway, if voting really made a difference they'd abolish it.;o)

Re119

I can do better than that. Lady T made millions very happy even to the point of voting for her !

She made her party happy by leaving Downing Street in tears, and quite a few people happier still by taking a similar career choice to Tony Benn's... Even her 'beloved' son was pleased, if you read the right red tops. Probably added more to the Devils workload though (if you believe in that stuff)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Perceptions are different for people at different times in their lives.
Totally hypothetical situation [but probably truer than we think ]-young gun 21+ ish -high flying wannabe earning loads of money-no real scruples money is god. Party A in power just happens to suit that persons type of policies.
Ten+ years down the road that young gun has aged ,maybe fallen from grace or now realises that there is more to being human than money.His priorities have changed but because of policies bought out 10 years earlier that he was happy with then he is now in a worse position.
His perception of the government in power at that time will not seem as good looking through different eyes.
Agreed on the blurring on all the parties moving in towards each other and maybe that middle area is where the majority of people are in real life so the extremes are now null and void.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Re 136

Silver Fox

You'll have to forgive a certain amount of hyperbole. I know it's hard to tell but, I was a rather keen supporter though, not entirely uncritical, of Lady T.

Member for

13 years 9 months

.. Even her 'beloved' son was pleased, if you read the right red tops. Probably added more to the Devils workload though (if you believe in that stuff)

Do you mean the same son/Pillock who caused a huge search and rescue Operation when he got himself lost in the Desert?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

20 years 7 months

Do you mean the same son/Pillock who caused a huge search and rescue Operation when he got himself lost in the Desert?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

I know it was a mothers instinct to search for that **** of a son but i did wonder if it hadn't been her and just plain Mrs Smith there would have been quite the same amount of effort put in.Yes he is a ****,if he is still alive that is.

Ohhhh T w a t is a naughty word LOL

Member for

15 years 10 months

John ref#148

I would never have guessed in a million years, as you can just possibly tell I was not her greatest fan.

In truth I did not suffer from her machinations as many did, but I didn't like what I saw, remember I am very much a child of the North West, rural Lancashire in fact.

Member for

10 years 7 months

If certain red tops are to be believed he hadn't seen her for several months when she died; easily checked since he lives in South Africa and apparently has certain restrictions placed on his movements due to his involvement a failed coup d'état in Equatorial Guinea.

Member for

15 years 10 months

snafu #152

He's merely keeping up the family traditions.