Interesting News Snippets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

Re 61

Mea culpa, mea culpa. I was aware when I did it but, couldn't rouse myself from my mid afternoon torpor to correct it. I've just penalised myself 500 lines: Do not ignore the apostrophe; especially, if Charles is watching !

Member for

11 years 5 months

John - you are worthy member of the forum!

Member for

13 years 9 months

Chas, You little Devil, you have just posted......6.666..............Times.................:dev2:
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

Aaarrg!! Oh the spell is now broken!;)

Member for

12 years 11 months

He was slightly unlucky. Police around to actually stop someone? That itself is worth a headline.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Did anyone see the latest battle for hearts and minds between our Nige and the Clegg? Points win for Nigel? Perhaps Cleggy? Or, did anyone land a knockout?

Member for

11 years 5 months

'fraid not - never one for these political point scoring boxing matches. But the general impression is that Farage won and perhaps more decisively than last time.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Did anyone see the latest battle for hearts and minds between our Nige and the Clegg? Points win for Nigel? Perhaps Cleggy? Or, did anyone land a knockout?

I just watched it on BBC Iplayer. I think Clegg was beaten well and truly by Nigel.
Out of the two of them, Nigel was far more up front than Cleggy, who was very ill informed in his replies, and tried to back pedal far too many things, I thought he hadn't done his homework prior to his thrashing.Cleggy struggled to get the answers to the questions, however, Nige came straight out with his answers without having to thing prior to giving his answers to the question.
UKIP for me.
Jim.
Lincoln .7
If I had to believe in either one of them, it would be Nigel

Member for

12 years 11 months

I don't gamble, except on the Lottery. But, when I go into the bookies on Saturday to make a fortune on the Grand National winner, I'll ask if they'll give odds on Nigel becoming Prime Minister by 2020 !

I can see Charlie spluttering into his champagne.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Ooh, I dunno, John. With all the Scots Labour mob gone by 2015, that's Millipede's goose well and truly cooked - forever - and the Libs are a spent force anyway so it'll be a run-off between Nige and whoever has replaced Dave by 2020.........now where's that flute????

Member for

12 years 11 months

Well, I'll tell you what chaps, at my advanced age, a whole new career beckons with the news tha the Crown Prosecution Service is no longer fit for purpose.

Yes, it's a criminal career for me. Why are you turning away from making an honest buck Johnnie boy ? Because it seems that, if I'm caught by Plod, the professional ineptitude of the CPS will ensure an additional layer of Teflon coating on my wholesome frame which will ensure that nothing that the dopey CPS throws at me in the shape of evidence will ever stick.

Talk about 'chickens comin' home to roost' ! This Government - and for all I know the one before - has slavishly promoted an agenda of ethnic minority quotas, female quotas, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all quotas to the point that most if not all of the evidence assembled for the prosecution by the CPS is deemed not fit for purpose, resulting in acquital after acquital.

Indeed, Court appearances by CPS representatives is frequently on a 'hit and miss' basis. Sometimes they turn up up in the Court, sometimes they don't. When evidence is prepared for submission, it is frequently in 'pidgin' English (not my phrase but the D. Tel) and requires skilled interpretation and much re-working.

Phone calls to a CPS office require to be interpreted because the standard of spoken English is very poor. Why do we continue to do this ? What is it about slavish adherence to political dogma that appears to render a sub standard service so desirable?

Pass me my mask and sack marked swag, I'm off for some local larceny.

Member for

11 years 5 months

What is it about slavish adherence to political dogma that appears to render substandard governance of everything so desirable?

Member for

13 years 9 months

John. re 73.
Many yrs ago, and I have said it before on the forum. I remember seeing a memo, stating that the CPS, had to "Lose" 17.5% of cases, in other words forget them, just throw them out.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

12 years 11 months

Some of you will have noticed that Nigella, The Domestic Goddess, has been denied entry to that home of moral rectitude, the U.S. of A. It is alleged that she confessed to having used a certain recreational aid, use of which confers certain euphoric sensations.

I, along with many others, thought that this decision was a little harsh. Unlike others in the pop world, who gain admission to The Country That Is Without Sin, she has never been convicted of a disqualifying offence.

Perhaps this could have been prevented it she'd taken out U.S. citizenship and pleaded the Fifth Amendment !

Member for

12 years 11 months

I expect that this recent announcement regarding the almost total uselessness of Tamiflu the anti flu drug of first choice, will affect more than a few of us on these Forums.

This drug has been promoted with a zealousness which rivals the zealousness of promotion of a whole heap of other alleged life enhancing pharmaceutical wonders.

Well, it appears that we might as well not have bothered. The 'efficiency' of this drug and by implication others, is a consequence of the marketing skill of the manufacturer - and little else.

Help is on the horizon. There is on the internet; for those who are interested in the substance they've been recommended by their GP to stuff down their throat, a resource called the Cochrane Library which holds the chemical composition and critical analysis of every drug in common use.

This Library reveals not only side effects and contraindications but also efficacy. All very useful in reminding us all that there is little gain without some pain.

Member for

11 years 5 months

The most effective drug widely available for a vast number of ailments is called Placebo. Clinically proven to be successful.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yes, isn't it just ! The trouble is, that it does not make a huge chunk of 'wedge' for the drug makers.

Member for

13 years 9 months

I marinate my Placebo tabs in Whisky every night, they can't fool me....................:D
Jim.
Lincoln .7