Interesting News Snippets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

This subject will always offer counter argument by opinion. The fact that someone, perhaps a former poly graduate, disgruntled by the absence of value of an award of a soft degree, chooses to publish their disagreement in the Guardian rather than a quality journal such as the Telegraph, screams volumes !

You make a pointless point about Adonis 'taking the whip'. If he does, he is a politician of that hue. Simple and true.

My endlessly reiterated point about polys masquerading is well supported by Adonis' statement. Polys at one time served a very useful purpose. Some would comment that they were more useful in the service of the country than universities, in that you learnt a useful vocation which would then provide a living, rather than just learning to think, a useful exercise in itself but, wasted on many.

"news a little late" ? I prefer to lull you into a sense of security that, ultimately proves to be without foundation !

Member for

14 years 5 months

The 'volumes' that this 'screams" amount to the likelihood of the increasingly incoherent Telegraph (matching your own trajectory) publishing the letter being slim.

A long time ago there was an argument, which as a recent graduate of a 'proper' university I supported, that 'University' was the wrong name for Polytechnics. A lot of time has passed, and many former polies now have an academic ethos and a thriving research culture that is the envy of many "older' institutions.

Once again you are late.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Usually by about 44 years all evidence would suggest Beermat..........

Member for

12 years 11 months

"wasted on many...." Umm !

Member for

12 years 8 months

The difference is that those who write to the Guardian on education matters are usually well educated and show symptoms of actually relying on their own recent experiences rather that Torygraph correpondents who ( if JG is a typical example) tend to lack academic rigour, wouldn't accept alternative perspectives even in the face of overwhelming supporting evidence and rely on experiences way back in the past

Member for

12 years 11 months

The point that most would make is that the Guardian is so rabidly left wing - even if judged only by the content of its advertising - that as a neutral or unbiased commentator, few take it seriously.

The Telegraph doesn't always commit itself. Its capacity to 'sit on Bruce's fence' can be alarming, leading one to query the possibility of an upheaval in the proper order of things !

'recent experience' is not as valuable as experience in depth - you should know that.

Member for

12 years 8 months

If you honestly believe that the Telegraph sits on the fence on any political matter then there is no hope for you John.

Member for

15 years 10 months

John

What is "the proper order of things" sounds more like an utterance from Queen Victoria than anything else.

Member for

12 years 11 months

We are not amused.

Member for

14 years 5 months

What on earth is 'left wing' advertising? Free means-of-production with every purchase?

I sense you are railing against something, but you don't really know what it is.

Member for

12 years 11 months

I though that it was known as the Guardian - to give it a polite description.

Member for

14 years 5 months

So. You are angry that a newspaper gives voice to those with points of view contrary to your own?

So it's not the political opinion, it's that people are free to express it that gets John's goat?

Member for

12 years 11 months

"left wing advertising?"

BM read the ads, then you'll get the flavour.

Member for

14 years 5 months

It'll have to wait until Saturday. I don't read the print version of the Guardian except at weekends, when I buy it for the (doubtless Marxist) TV guide.

The online version is trying to sell me a Smartphone - is that left-wing? You tell me, you seem to know about these things.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Let me send you the Daily Mail TV guide. It is excellent. Regrettably, Littlejohn doesn't contribute in the Saturday edition - a significant omission compensated only by his presence mid week.

Member for

14 years 5 months

I was joking - but the DM really does have a political TV guide? John - how on earth can you accuse the Left of trying to indoctrinate?

Member for

12 years 8 months

I think that to support your theory regarding left wing adverts you need to provide a clear example for us to consider. Without that it is very difficult to be sure about what you would define as a left wing advert, perhaps because it is that you are confused about political definitions. So please John, can you provide a link, or failing that a scanned image of one of the adverts to which you are referring

Member for

12 years 11 months

I don't 'need' to do anything ! The clues are in the wording. Look for anything that smacks of a non job. Look for anything that mentions 'outreach worker'. Look for anything that mentions 'inclusivity,' 'diversity', or the famous one; 'multicultural'. Especially look at jobs advertised in the public sector, that's practically all of them; most of them with generous salary packages.

There you are Trekie. Plenty to chew on. I'll wait for incoming flak.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Thought so. Not anything specific, just meaningless waffle. Sorry doesn't cut it John

Member for

12 years 11 months

Explains it perfectly. Those ads do not appear in the D. Tel.