Russian in-car (mostly) traffic cams

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

If you have ten or twelve minutes to spare watching this vid will amuse, and probably convince you that you would never want to drive in Russia.

Two bits of aviation interest included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KugIx3ycBng&feature=share

Moggy

Original post

Member for

15 years 9 months

Recently looked into driving in Russia.

Too much hassle for visas but another thing I found out is that you have to have a separate insurance as the existing is invalid in Russia. You can buy it at the border. This is not so much to do with Russia as insurance not wanting to cover whilst in the country. More and more insurance companies are asking for car cam

You can see why.

Member for

9 years 8 months

Terrific video Moggy. Might give up drivin meself!
Wondered why they got so much footage? Have they a law that you must have a camera working whilst driving??

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think Gary gives the answer above. The likelihood of an accident is so high that people fit them to prove to the insurance company they weren't to blame.

Though in many cases they were.

I have tried so hard to get Mrs Moggy to allow more defensive space between her and the car in front.. It hasn't worked.

Moggy

EDIT: Found this

An estimated one million Russian motorists have installed dash cams in their cars. Though some of them capture things like the 10-ton meteor that exploded in the atmosphere last year, the cameras are popular for just one reason: ensuring justice when it comes to proving accidents on the roads.

In 2012, Al Jazeera spoke with motorists who never drive without their cameras. One driver said others believe that police officers are only on the roads to take bribes, bending traffic laws—or ignoring them completely—to benefit themselves. A camera will save you from false accusations.

“In Russia, everyone should have a camera on their dashboard. It’s better than keeping a lead pipe under your seat for protection,” writes Marina Galperina, a New York-based blogger who hails from Russia.

According to Galperina, hit and runs are “very common,” and insurance companies have begun to crack down on claims, often denying any claim with little evidence. Witnesses aren’t much help, either; Russian courts have turned into a he-said-she-said mess when it comes to traffic accidents. “Dash-cam footage is the only real way to substantiate your claims in the court of law,” Galperina writes.

The camera records non-stop until its limited flash storage fills up; then, the drive erases itself and begins recording again. If an accident happens, the footage can be pulled off and used later. The technology is much cheaper—ranging from as little as $50 to as much as $200—than insurance. Because of lax law enforcement and scams on the road, including staged crashes and already damaged cars presented as evidence in a new case, buying a good policy is outrageously expensive. A cheap camera can save thousands, which is why such a large number of Russian drivers have one.

Member for

11 years 11 months

After watching that Moggy I found this one worth a watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDZZmdVUK0 I did like the aircraft movement on the road and well pick your favourite part that's all I can say about it!

Member for

9 years 8 months

Moggy
Make Mrs M repeat the 2 second rule out load when she's driving until it becomes second nature.

Member for

24 years 2 months

You've never been married have you? :D

Member for

9 years 8 months

Very happily for 46 years Moggy...........and I was a driving instructor.