SIX NATIONS

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 6 months

I was taught as a youngster to challenge casual prejudice whenever I encounter it. How else are people, who at some level don't undertand they are being offensive however 'mild' the comment, to realise what is said may cause offence if repeated.

The decision about whether or not something is offensive is entirely subjective. Someone might cause offence to someone with a trivially "casual" remark made in total innocence and another might make a potentially offensive remark which offends no one at the time.

Tolerance and common sense are required. Yes there are people who go out of their way to be offensive and there are others who go out of their way to be offended. Worse are those who are not offended themselves but on behalf of others who have not even heard the remark.

But getting back to the rugger......a helluva weekend coming up with three and maybe even four teams with a chance of the championship.

Member for

13 years

Most things seem to cause you offence, even my spelling. That annoyed you. Get over it.

Member for

13 years

For the sake of comparison, I played a CD of the 2003 England team during their Six Nations. Interesting. The '03 team were inventive in their passing game and aggressive to boot (pun intended.) If I singled out a major difference between the England of that period, the then competition and the England of to-day it would have to be the fly half, Wilkinson.

Member for

11 years 6 months

No surprise at all John. And 12 years ago the game was rather different and I would guess the average team was a few 100kgs lighter than they are now...And going further back you'll recall the brilliant open games with the scrum only used as originally intended as a restart to the play, instead of the focal point it has now become. England had their moments but the Welsh and French were exhilerating!

Member for

12 years 8 months

Most things seem to cause you offence, even my spelling. That annoyed you. Get over it.

No, the only thing that has caused me offence on here was the post to which we have been referring. All the rest of my posts on this thread and the "Nigel ascends" thread apon which we have debated were rational discussion of points about which we disagree, and to be honest are likely to continue to disagree. If you think what you have said on those threads has offended me I fear you are mistaken, so I have nothing to "get over" thanks.

Member for

12 years 8 months

The decision about whether or not something is offensive is entirely subjective. Someone might cause offence to someone with a trivially "casual" remark made in total innocence and another might make a potentially offensive remark which offends no one at the time.

Tolerance and common sense are required. Yes there are people who go out of their way to be offensive and there are others who go out of their way to be offended. Worse are those who are not offended themselves but on behalf of others who have not even heard the remark.

I almost entirely agree. Perhaps my above post was misleading as I was tying to simplify my position. I do however think it important, as part of the tolerance and common sense, to challenge things that are, for want of a better phrase, extremely likely to cause offence to others due to race, disability etc. I was positively encouraged to do this as part of my job so I may be more sensitive than others as a result.

Member for

13 years

Yes, I do agree. One point I forgot to make was in connection with the scores. Most, if not all of the games played by England in the various stages of the Six Nations of 2003 had England winning by between thirtyish and forty or so points contrasting with the comparatively tight scores of present games, thus indicating perhaps that differing team skills are now, not that wide apart.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Try and keep it civil please lads

Member for

13 years

Slightly OTT ?

I didn't think that it was that uncivil !

Member for

11 years 6 months

Apostrophe problems, Peter... ?:)

Member for

24 years 3 months

uhoh the apostrophe police are about :)

Member for

11 years 6 months

Guilty as charged M'Lud!;)

Member for

13 years

What a jolly surprise. No.1 son has just rung to ask if I'd like a ticket for next Saturday's match against France at Twickenham ! I thought about it for three milliseconds. This could be the Six Nations championship decider - all other results slotting into place.

Member for

11 years 6 months

You lucky .........words fail me!! It will be a great occasion!;)

Member for

11 years 6 months

Enjoy the occasion, John - I'll be there in spirit, glued to the TV!!:eagerness:

Member for

13 years

The first match starts at 12.30 so, no long 'lie-in'!

I'm hoping my timing is good. I'll watch the first match, part of the second then a 60 mile drive to the ground and hopefully a place to park. Mrs. G will have one of two welcome homes. One will be a box of tissues - no you've got it wrong - they're to mop my tears of laughter or a stiff drink to drown disappointment.

Member for

11 years 6 months

What a day's rugger! I've seen a few great games over more than 60 years watching but the second two yesterday were classics. I can only imagine the experience you had. Disappointment in the final outcome of course but to put that score on the French!!

Member for

13 years

I think that the crowd were almost silent in their disbelief. Wondeful atmosphere. Superb game of rugby. At one time we thought that the French would demand ownership of Twickers.

We had French people behind us and at the end I took of my glove shook hands with Madame and M'sieur saying slowly in the best French I could muster having thought about it for sometime:

"La Belle France, pas bon jour"

They smiled and returned the handshake.

Member for

12 years 4 months

I spent the day in front of the TV, best days Rugby ever. The 3 games were all exciting after a poor, over all, 6 nations. The amount of tries scored was amazing and the suspense went to the last minute. Roll on the world cup it is shaping up well.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Quite agree although I thought the first game was very unbalanced and against Italy without Parisse probably no great surprise. But the other two - stunning!

John - I think two of my most enjoyable Twickenham experiences were against France in amongst French spectators, one of which we won the other lost. But great atmosphere and camaraderie at the end. And a group of us with the French went to celebrate together. Soccer? I don't think so.....