Top Gear (Moggy will be pleased!)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 6 months

With contracts ending in a couple of weeks and new contracts not yet signed, apparently, you could suppose the three of them might just walk away from the BBC. I am sure ITV and or Sky is waiting to bite their hands off! It would be the perfect ending. Negotiations have probably already started.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Almost 400,000 signatures.

The BBC will be kicking themselves if the 3 Amigos walk to another broadcaster.

I do wonder who in the production team leaked the "Eeenie, Meanie, Miney Mo" clip. It was never meant for broadcast, was a 'mistake' by Jezza and I suspect it was done to try and get Clarkson sacked.

The timing of this is a tad suspect too - just as the chair of the BBC Trust, Rona Fairhead, gets told to quit or be sacked by the public accounts committee...

Member for

9 years 7 months

Clarkson is a comedian, and thus acts a role. Top Gear is clearly scripted, especially when it appears to go off piste, and the offensive material is allowed to remain unquestioned by a whole team of people paid to deliver a certain image, ethos and 'speakeasy' attitude. Top Gear appeals to Barry types with their modified cars and Zoo Magazines. Clarkson's act works especially well, in my opinion, because the Daily Fail brigade thinks he is less-than-secretly on their side, and the Guardian brigade have somebody to get endlessly offended by and upset at. Both groups are being played like fiddles, and the laddie fast car market supports the endless franchising of the Top Gear brand regardless and Clarkson keeps making money. I was gifted Top Gear shower gel for Christmas! And to think Clarkson used to have quite an affected RP accent in the '80s when he was only a thirtysomething in overly tight jeans.

Two problems for me;

1) The BBC hold on to these old dinosaurs long after their collective wells have run dry because the BBC seem to think these characters are popular with the younger crowd. See the endless Jonathan Ross debacle (and Chris Moyles, Chris Evans, et al). It is better than harbouring nonces I suppose, but the BBC don't have their finger on the pulse and keep some absolute knackers on their books.

2) Clarkson allegedly assaulted somebody in a work place environment and I fail to see why the rules should be different for him. If I thumped my boss I would be in a bad situation, and there wouldn't be a petition to save my behind either. Will we ever see 400K + signatures in support of something that furtherss the human race? Probably not because Barry, with his ****box car in the driveway, thinks Clarkson is a secret Ukipper and the last bastion of free speech (whilst forgetting he is part of the Chipping Norton set and is besties with Rebekah Brooks).

Member for

11 years 6 months

Good points, Bob.

Meddle - in what way are 1) and 2) problems for you? If you were 1% as nationally popular as Clarkson you might get a few signatures. Do you resent his popularity and that of the show. It appears so. I dislike much of TV output particularly soaps and so-called reality shows but I don't resent the popularity of the participants.

As you rightly say if he is guilty of what he is alleged to have done appropriate action should be taken. But as with his other transgressions this too has a slightly odious smell to it. We shall see. As I said above it would probably suit all involved if the three took their business to a competitor.

Member for

13 years

Re 24

Would you take on his Top Gear persona in exchange for his income ? No, course you wouldn't.

Member for

14 years 1 month

That's his part, Alan. It's an entertainment programme in which the three presenters act out charicatures of themselves for the viewers .

I still think that James May comes over better when doing his own programmes. Hammond acts like a kid, no matter what
he is doing. The only thing Clarkson did which was any good, was the series on winners of the VC.

Member for

9 years 7 months

Meddle - in what way are 1) and 2) problems for you? If you were 1% as nationally popular as Clarkson you might get a few signatures. Do you resent his popularity and that of the show. It appears so. I dislike much of TV output particularly soaps and so-called reality shows but I don't resent the popularity of the participants.

I don't resent him. My issues are with 1) The BBC keeping old hacks on because they think people like myself actually find them entertaining (which ties in with my gripe with the BBC treating the licence fee money like a garden hose) and 2) the fact that a fairly ordinary piece of workplace violence is being spun so cheaply in favour of Clarkson (the agressor, allegedly) because he is the supposed voice of the less-than-PC working man even though his persona is an act engineered to line his own pockets.

Got it yet?

Would you take on his Top Gear persona in exchange for his income ? No, course you wouldn't.

I'm no good as an actor and I don't get that excited by cars. If I had the potential to be the next Clarkson then I would already be the next Clarkson. I view Clarkson as a bit of a fraud, though he has become more lovably oafish and bear-like in recent years. His job appears to be to help city boys buy their next car, and to sell this sort of suave lifestyle to tragically misinformed white van men and their 17 year old lackies by occasionally blowing up a caravan or mumbling a racial slur. Hardly worth gathering 400,000 + signatures to protect.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Meddle - Got what? If you mean do I share your interpretation of events, then no I don't, although I do agree with your gripe about the BBC's use of our money. But probably not for the same reasons!

But it would appear you watch the programme so perhaps not all is lost.;)

Member for

17 years 6 months

The BBC keeping old hacks on because they think people like myself actually find them entertaining...

I'm sure the BBC doesn't give a toss what you, personally, find entertaining...

...but the (worldwide) viewing figures for Top Gear speak for themselves.....don't they. ;)

Member for

14 years 1 month

Clarkson gets away with it because money talks.
Savile got away with it because money talked.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I hope you are not seriously drawing any comparison between the two. If so I find it not only naive but nauseating.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I was expecting that.

No not making a comparison. Just stating that money talks. It always has and always will.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Well why make such an odious and simplistic comparison because by doing so you weaken your point.

If Clarkson was found to be a sexual abuser and serial paedophile are you seriously implying his job would be safe? Come on Alan!

The worst that can said of him is that he has caused a handful of people numbered in little more than single figures to be offended by proxy. Hardly transgressions to justify the potential loss of revenue to our national broadcaster.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I was expecting that.

No not making a comparison. Just stating that money talks. It always has and always will.

The same way a football or film star can get away with doing things that would get an average person in an average job sacked.

Member for

15 years 3 months

Whatever happened between Jeremy Clarkson and the BBC Producer, should be dealt with privately since it seems to have been a personal argument behind the scenes. The BBC shouldn't punish the general public/license payers for something that happened between two guys over diner.

But, whatever Clarkson did, it must have been worse than child molesting - Jimmy Saville style for the BBC to postpone, maybe cancel Top Gear. As we all know, the BBC love kiddy fiddlers, don't they...

Member for

19 years 5 months

..we concentrate more on the content of what presenters say, rather than how they look.

Thank you for your condescending generalization....not all Americans are into "Hollywood". That would be like an American saying al Brits are toffee-nose public school twits.

But he looks like a prat. At some point people have got admit they're getting older and what worked for them in their youth look less flattering as they age (e.g. many UK pop stars).

Member for

15 years 3 months

If Clarkson was found to be a sexual abuser and serial paedophile are you seriously implying his job would be safe? Come on Alan!

The BBC protected Saville, didn't they...

Member for

15 years 10 months

I watch Top Gear at times, certainly not essential viewing, I regard it as slightly slapstick comedy with a car theme, personally I find Clarkson to be clumsy and unthinking rather than offensive, he is regarded by many as a champion of anti-political correctness.

However, IF the reports are correct, it would appear that your straight talking man has thrown a hissy fit, spat the dummy because poor lamb, din-dins wasn't available on time, IF he has gone on to punch someone then there is no place for him, he has to go.

Come on if any one was assaulted in the workplace, particularly over such a trivial matter, the attackers feet would not touch on the way out.

Member for

20 years 8 months

My personal opinion is that Top Gear should go back to its roots when it was about testing the types of car the average person is likely to buy. At least Clarkson was good then. If a car was garbage he said so rather than praising it just to please the manufacturer. Now it's a show about grown men behaving like hooligans and Clarkson slagging the other two. He thinks far to much of himself these days and the BBC needs to sack him and bring him back to earth.

Member for

11 years 6 months

The BBC protected Saville, didn't they...

Nothing proved but much suspicion. In any case it's still drawing the same comparisons with Savile, who died an unconvicted criminal and a TV presenter who has put a few peoples' noses out of joint - figuratively of course.

Doubt even Clarkson thought he'd find himself in that company.......:(