Top Gear (Moggy will be pleased!)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Apparently the spat was caused by the lack of hot food to be provided to the team upon their arrival at the hotel at 10.00 pm after a days filming. All that was available was a plate of cold cuts of meat, until the hotel manager donned his apron and started practising his culinary skills!

Member for

13 years

According to the D. Tel. to-day, no punches were thrown by anyone. I'll now have to apologise to Mrs. G.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I think we have wondered off on a tangent here the fact is he is alleged to have assaulted another member of staff, this counts in most work places as gross misconduct and an instant dismissal for us in the real world, unless you have the only mitigating circumstance of defending yourself even then sometimes you may still be sacked.
The fact Mr Gob has kept his job despite his other outbursts has been simply because of his starring role in Top Gear and the untold money it brings into Aunty, or if as been suggested all these other outbursts are scripted then in recent cases it has been in poor taste, while the odd joke is acceptable the continued reference to the Falklands has been a bit crass, a lot of service men on both sides lost their lives and all these insults with the resulting publicity just remind their families of that loss.
Like has been mentioned it is now alleged that Mr Gob reported the problem himself to lessen the impact of it reaching his boss's ears, also it is alleged his contract is coming to an end and he was going to depart anyway ? to this end does it really matter what happens to Mr Gob ? No one star is bigger than any show they are part of and, has already been mentioned it would carry on without him. While I have always liked the show and the entertainment value of all current three presenters I have always thought Mr Gobs school boy joking the only let down at times particularly with the Falklands.
Hissy fit has been mentioned and he has acted like a true diva if the alleged reason is true, what I will say in his defence as the only possible mitigating circumstance is, as a producer of the show he should have made the hotel aware of their late arrival while making certain all areas especially food were taken care of, whether this is the job of the producer or not I don't know ? even so everybody is the same when arriving home after a days work you normally have a hot meal if this could not have been done then he should have made other arrangements such booking a nearby restaurant etc.etc. but failure to do this in no way entitles Mr Gob to assault him.

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 6 months

So, Geoff........err, so I get the impression you don't like Mr Clarkson (his name by the way)!;)

Member for

15 years

the fact is he is alleged to have assaulted another member of staff,.

Actually, the report was that he took a swing at the other man, but didn't make contact. While all those who can't stand the man are spending so much time vilifying him, and making all sorts of wild accusations, nobody is asking what the other man did to make him lose his temper; now we hear that Clarkson reported the incident, which doesn't sound like the behaviour of a guilty party, but, apparently "Innocent until proven guilty" shouldn't apply to someone we don't like.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Apparently Clarkson "reported" himself due to hostility from the rest of the crew, got in with his excuses first, personally I think the guy is just a car themed comedy act and would be very disappointed if he couldn't be replaced by any of a couple of hundred folks out there.

Strikes me this comes about when someone is daft enough to believe their own publicity, I for one am totally sick of the present culture of talent free celebrities, most of who are famous for being famous, Clarkson is not alone by any means.

What really gets me, Sir Terry Pratchett has just left us, a man who had more humour, intelligence and creativity in his little finger than the likes of Clarkson will ever have, not a flicker on here.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That element of Top Gear became Fifth Gear on Channel 5, which I've not bothered to watch for a while.

If you had, you'd probably do a double take, because they seem to have copied some of TGs elements, possibly because an hour long show on whether the latest Ford Focus is a better family car than a Vauxhall Astra is just toooooo boring...

Member for

13 years

Re 87

If the signatures are to be believed, almost one million people quite like Clarky. So, he must have something going for him in spite of the fact that it eludes you.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Indeed. Top gear existed before Clarkson, and it would exist after him
In fact it was a much better programme before him.
Like wot I said earlier.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Apparently Clarkson "reported" himself due to hostility from the rest of the crew, got in with his excuses first, personally I think the guy is just a car themed comedy act and would be very disappointed if he couldn't be replaced by any of a couple of hundred folks out there.

Strikes me this comes about when someone is daft enough to believe their own publicity, I for one am totally sick of the present culture of talent free celebrities, most of who are famous for being famous, Clarkson is not alone by any means.

What really gets me, Sir Terry Pratchett has just left us, a man who had more humour, intelligence and creativity in his little finger than the likes of Clarkson will ever have, not a flicker on here.

Hear, hear to that.............!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Morning Mike.

Thanks for 'tagging' me on this - you have not been ignored, but I have been on a lengthy road trip to an airfield in SW France and been deliberately out of the loop for that time.

Do I care? Not a lot.

Unimpressed by the numbers signing a petition before anybody actually knows what happened - still, if you look at the crowd of gurning sycophants that make up the TG studio audience, eager to laugh at the great man's unfunniest utterance, you can sort of understand why. It is pretty depressing that so many people lack the critical faculties to think for themselves and just click away at a pointless online petition.

As an aside, it is interesting to see how a few mightily wealthy individuals, manage to portray themselves as 'men of the people' and build a following amongst the sort of everyday folk who, if a senior manager at their work ranted for half an hour and then threw a punch at them* for some work failing, would expect a prosecution and a handsome pay out. Clarkson, Brand, Farage - all cut from the same cloth.

Good to be back

Moggy

*The above is the current version of the story. Doubtless it will change several times more.

Member for

19 years

Thanks for joining, your absence was becoming suspicious! Hope you had a good trip!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

The trip?

Some 1,700 miles in eight days, a great meeting at the airfield where it was 20 degrees and blue skies, just like mid-summer (should be) here. The visit included a brief flight in a Robin DR400, a new type to me.

Five hotels, including a mini-chateau, some wonderful food. So yes, it was tiring, but enjoyable.

Moggy

Member for

13 years

I have to laugh or, should that be smile, shyly ?

All of his critics would, without exception, take over Clarky's role at the drop of, not so much a hat, as a million quid. I would for much less but, I'm cheap.

Why oh why does success in any guise, breed so much envy ?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Is that what he's paid? I'd willing do a proper day's work for that sort of money.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Moggy came to mind this morning as I drove home (no, not like that!) - spotted a Porsche with the plate MGG1Y and wondered....

Five hotels, including a mini-chateau, some wonderful food. So yes, it was tiring, but enjoyable.

Moggy

Hope you weren't disappointed by no hot meals at late hours! :very_drunk:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ha!

The problem was I had no minions to give a fat lip to. :mad:

The 996 is long gone, but I guess that plate on it could have been mildly appropriate. The cherished plate used for it, and a few other cars as well, is actually without meaning, and is purely there for appearance.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

I gave up on Top Gear a long time ago. It ceased being "entertaining" to me a long time ago.

Member for

14 years 1 month

You and me too !

Member for

9 years 7 months

It is interesting to see how people are spinning this story. In a lot of commentators' heads, Clarkson carried out something of a symbolic act in duffing up a (supposedly) weak, effeminate BBC producer. It is almost as though he attacked the institution itself for being too liberal and too readily emasculated. I'm surprised that everybody is treating a bit of bog-standard workplace violence as a Rorschach test, whereby Clarkson is the self appointed last outpost of non-PC red blooded masculinity swimming against a tide of hand-wringing, overly earnest and easily offended beta males. Heady stuff. There must be something Talismanic about a man squeezing a 42 inch waste into 36 inch jeans....

Given that we are recapitulating earlier posts, I have two points to make.

1) If I smacked somebody in my office, over something as trivial as my dinner options, I would be hung out to dry. It sounds like Clarkson behaved worryingly like a spoilt child.

2) 800k + signatures means very little. As George Carlin said: Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.