Election 2015: How Close Are You To The Political Centre?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

This was interesting, at least to me. I scored 13 out of 25, so (unsurprisingly) was right in the political centre.

Election 2015: How close are you to the political centre?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31973051

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

12/25

Member for

11 years 6 months

There are so many caveats to each of these simplistic questions as there are to most of these "poll" questions as to make the result meaningless and I am not sure what they achieve....roll on May 7th, the only poll which matters.

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, its an odd one - according to that, I am right of centre, which is no surprise, but if it had been 2010, I would have been bang in the centre!

A movable feast?

Bruce

Member for

9 years 7 months

I scored 15/25.

Apparently 'Around a fifth of the population have similar views to you. You would have been close to the centre of the political spectrum from 2004-2007 and in 2010'.

Member for

11 years 6 months

So all of that is as clear as mud! I'll stick to May 7th.....

Member for

17 years 6 months

Well, I scored 19/25.....just to right of Genghis Khan apparently! :rolleyes:

But what an utterly skewed set of questions; all rich-versus-poor, management-against-workers, us-and-them, big-business-against-the-common-man, one-law-for-rich-and-one-for-the-poor! Were these questions set by a union shop-steward.....in 1972?

No questions about immigration I notice!

I don't say this very often but shame on the BBC for hosting such a biased survey.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I quite agree, as I suggested in earlier posts, but was unsurprised.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I did a really detailed one a few weeks ago, which put me some way to the left of the current Labour party!

As you say, lets wait for May 7.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Well, I scored 19/25.....just to right of Genghis Khan apparently! :rolleyes:

But what an utterly skewed set of questions; all rich-versus-poor, management-against-workers, us-and-them, big-business-against-the-common-man, one-law-for-rich-and-one-for-the-poor! Were these questions set by a union shop-steward.....in 1972?

No questions about immigration I notice!

I don't say this very often but shame on the BBC for hosting such a biased survey.

I quite agree, as I suggested in earlier posts, but was unsurprised.

Sorry to burst your bubbles chaps but it isn't a bad old BBC "poll."

"But according to new research, based on the British Social Attitudes survey, the centre ground is always moving."

"The results don't imply you should vote for any particular party - instead they reflect where you stand on economic issues compared to the rest of the British population, as surveyed by NatCen Social Research."

All the questions do is illustrate where your responses put you today in relation to other people answering the same set of questions.

Nothing like reading what you want to read eh Charlie and CD!

Member for

17 years 6 months

As I said...

...shame on the BBC for hosting such a biased survey.

I agree.....nothing like reading what you want to read! :rolleyes:

Member for

11 years 6 months

Snap!! - You missed the point, Snafu!!:rolleyes::stupid:

Member for

16 years 3 months

Bang to rights! My apologies.

Don't agreed that it is biased however. It is a simple set of questions to determine peoples attitude to those questions, no more no less.

Member for

17 years 6 months

To what extent do you agree or disagree that government should redistribute income from the better-off to those who are less well off?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that big business benefits owners at the expense of workers?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that ordinary working people do not get their fair share of the nation's wealth?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that there is one law for the rich and one for the poor?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that management will always try to get the better of employees if it gets the chance?

Seriously, you don't think these questions are biased?

How about these?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that immigrants are taking jobs that could be done by people born in this country?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that EU rules make it harder for British businesses to be competitive?

To what extent do you agree or disagree that too much British taxpayers money goes to subsidise other EU countries?

You know, just trying determine people's attitude to these questions. ;)

Member for

11 years 6 months

Not biased per se but skewed because they make an assertion and invite an agree or disagree response, which is meaningless. As has probably been shown in this thread. Simple is the operative word! Would that life and politics were simple but it isn't and this sort of poll insults the intelligence of those invited to participate.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I think you are both missing the point.
This does not indicate a view or opinion as being accurate or even founded on a solid basis, as was somewhat stated in the article, it simply contrasts your response with that of others surveyed. How is that biased?
Observation of bias in my experience almost always indicates that the observer has a particular non neutral viewpoint. That may be justifiable or it may not be.

CD your second set of questions if asked in the same fashion would give a similar result, in that the questions themselves don't have to be an accurate reflection of reality, the answers merely indicate that persons perception.

Charlie, I don't disagree that it is simplistic. I do wonder why it is ok to dismiss such out of hand yet at the same time accept a simplistic "first past the post" system of electing a governing entity that almost guarantees a significant minority, if not an actual majority, of dis-enfranchised citizens?

Member for

17 years 6 months

...it simply contrasts your response with that of others surveyed. How is that biased?

Because it is a survey that is supposed to show how closely you are aligned with the political 'centre'; if the questions are biased to one side of the 'centre' the survey will surely fail to do what it claims.

The questions are biased; with the exception of the first question all the questions ask to agree or disagree with a very negative premis about commerce, wealth or law. The language used is politically charged language: 'management', 'big business', 'workers', 'rich / poor', '(business) owners' and 'nation's wealth'; these are stereotypically negative (or positive) terms.

Now I will be the first to admit that my 'politics' would be regarded as (slightly?) to right-of-centre (and how I hate that notion of my opinion can be summed-up as simply right or left of some arbitrary neutral centre) but it isn't just my opinion of those questions; the questions are deliberately designed to move the 'centre'. My question about immigration wouldn't get asked because it wouldn't get the 'correct' answer!

Member for

16 years 3 months

Don't agree CD, most of the responses (admittedly a very small sample size) on this very thread have either been central or right, if the survey is so slewed to the left as you are complaining why are the responses not more "balanced?"

People have the option to agree or disagree with the premise. If you are implying that people are influenced by the nature of the question I won't necessarily disagree but it also indicates that you believe people are not thinking for themselves. Again I won't necessarily disagree but I'd also refer you back to the results as demonstrated on this thread.

Could it be your own "bias" is playing a larger part in your perception than you think?

The centre is not necessarily neutral it simply defines the middle point of opinion. In any given time the centre will be different either more "left" or more "right."

As long as the questions asked are consistent at each point the results can be taken to show peoples positioning relative to the whole population or previous times.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Maybe it is me.

Having just re-read the BBC article it seems that these same questions have been asked every year since 1986 by what seems to be government body; I just have to say these seem to be extremely negative questions for a government body to be asking (particularly towards business)!

Member for

11 years 6 months

Charlie, I don't disagree that it is simplistic. I do wonder why it is ok to dismiss such out of hand yet at the same time accept a simplistic "first past the post" system of electing a governing entity that almost guarantees a significant minority, if not an actual majority, of dis-enfranchised citizens?

Well that's the system we have and have had for centuries for electing governments. Right or wrong, flawed or functional it's what we have. The other is simply a poll amongst thousands to which greater or lesser credence can be given but which actually means very little.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Is this the same British Social Attitudes survey that showed that 17% of UKIP supporters don't believe in Britain leaving the EU?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/british-social-attitudes-survey-ukip-supporters-are-55-or-older-white-and-socially-conservative-10133690.html

The same survey shows that for the first time fewer than half the UK population believe in reintroducing the death penalty, down from 74% in 1986.

It is not as good a result (from my perspective) as it at first appears, as people who actively support the death penalty still outnumber those who actively oppose it, once those who say they aren’t sure are taken into account. Still, the fall in support is accelerating which is a good thing (from my perspective).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/for-the-first-time-ever-most-british-people-do-not-support-the-death-penalty-10134892.html