Ghosts ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 9 months

Well in your case JIm, according to one of the Chuckle Bros; not a lot !

Watch it John Boy, or you will be sitting on the naughty step. (Who are the " Chuckle Bros)/, I'm too old to have even heard of them.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

17 years 6 months

Around 3a.m.

Another classic 'seen a ghost' circumstance!

Maybe you dreamt what you 'saw'? It seems a little strange to me that in a strange house and being responsible for the protection of a young child that you went back to sleep immediately after you were disturbed by somebody that you didn't recognise entering a bedroom at that hour. It also seems strange that you asked where your goddaughter's father was (thinking it had been him); don't you recognise your goddaughter's father by sight?

Excuse me for asking these questions but I'm a sceptic (as you can probably tell).

When it comes to 'ghosts' why is it that nobody ever seems to see one on a bright sunny day in the middle of a park with lots of people around? Why are they almost always half-asleep or somewhere with poor visibility or somewhere where their imagination can get the better of them? Why, despite practically everybody in the country having a high-definition, low-light capable, camera on them, almost every minute of the day and night, and the ability to self-publish images on YouTube, is the world not simply flooded with footage of 'ghosts'?

Member for

14 years 11 months

Maybe you dreamt what you 'saw'? It seems a little strange to me that in a strange house

I'd been a regular visitor there for 3 years, godfather to the daughter for two years, and an older son for 5.
being responsible for the protection of a young child that you went back to sleep immediately after you were disturbed by somebody that you didn't recognise entering a bedroom at that hour
I assumed it was her father; who else could it have been?
It also seems strange that you asked where your goddaughter's father was (thinking it had been him); don't you recognise your goddaughter's father by sight?

Does your house have only one room? Theirs didn't, so I assumed he was elsewhere in the house.

Excuse me for asking these questions but I'm a sceptic (as you can probably tell).

Questions I don't mind; the underlying sarcasm and curled lip I do find offensive.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hey, there was nothing 'underlying' about my sarcasm.....my sarcasm was out in the open, up front!

But, excuse me, lip curling? My lip wasn't, isn't, and never will be 'curled'!

What I meant by a 'strange' house was a house that was not your own; a house that, maybe, you may have been a little more alarmed at the appearance of a strange (and by that I mean somebody that you did not recognise) man in your bedroom at three in the morning. I'm not suggesting that you were unfamiliar with the house; only that you would be less familiar than with your own house.

The point I was trying to make about recognising your goddaughter's father was to examine what you actually saw. In fact, the only thing you can say you saw was 'a man' (rather than a woman, for example). If you'd seen your goddaughter's father well enough to recognise him you wouldn't have had to 'assume' it was him.

So, woken at three in the morning, in a room so dark that you couldn't recognise somebody you knew extremely well, you saw 'a man' and, based on elimination conclude that it could only have been a ghost?

How about this for an alternative scenario: you're babysitting and your goddaughter's mother comes home at about three in the morning. Naturally she checks on her children who are, presumably, in bed. Strangely her daughter isn't in her cot so does the mother just shrug and go off to bed herself or does she look in on you to find her daughter?

She finds you both, has a chuckle about it, and when you ask about the 'man' in the morning she pulls-your-leg with a nice 'ghost story'? Maybe? Is she particularly quick-witted or mischievous?

Member for

14 years 11 months

What I meant by a 'strange' house was a house that was not your own; a house that, maybe, you may have been a little more alarmed at the appearance of a strange (and by that I mean somebody that you did not recognise) man in your bedroom at three in the morning. I'm not suggesting that you were unfamiliar with the house; only that you would be less familiar than with your own house.

Don't see what any familiarity with the house has to do with seeing a head come round the door, hearing a laugh, then seeing it withdraw.
The point I was trying to make about recognising your goddaughter's father was to examine what you actually saw. In fact, the only thing you can say you saw was 'a man' (rather than a woman, for example). If you'd seen your goddaughter's father well enough to recognise him you wouldn't have had to 'assume' it was him.

Sorry for being thick, but that makes absolutely no sense to me, whatsoever.
So, woken at three in the morning, in a room so dark that you couldn't recognise somebody you knew extremely well, you saw 'a man' and, based on elimination conclude that it could only have been a ghost?

I saw a man's head, which was withdrawn; I'm not making any assumptions, since you're making enough for the two of us. As far as I'm concerned, it was an occurrence that I cannot explain, though the child's mother felt that she could. For me, it remains a mystery, so I leave any explanation to those who are soooooo much cleverer than I, so far with no success.
How about this for an alternative scenario: you're babysitting and your goddaughter's mother comes home at about three in the morning. Naturally she checks on her children who are, presumably, in bed. Strangely her daughter isn't in her cot so does the mother just shrug and go off to bed herself or does she look in on you to find her daughter? She finds you both, has a chuckle about it, and when you ask about the 'man' in the morning she pulls-your-leg with a nice 'ghost story'? Maybe? Is she particularly quick-witted or mischievous?

Her night shift was 10 p.m. - 6 a.m. plus a half-hour walk back home, so she got home in daylight. As far as I'm aware, she'd never had an operation on her vocal cords to make her laugh sound masculine, and the "head" had short hair, while hers was shoulder-length.

Member for

12 years 11 months

CD

You obviously haven't seen that famous CCTV footage captured in broad daylight of a person opening and peering around a side door at Hampton Court Palace - time; around dawn, when the Palace was closed ? The person - I think it was a woman was wearing clothes that were of a previous time (16th century).

There must be a huge amount of ghost like images on photographic record.

Member for

17 years 6 months

You obviously haven't seen that famous CCTV footage captured in broad daylight of a person opening and peering around a side door at Hampton Court Palace...

My mischievous side would beg to ask...

...'since when do ghosts need to open and peer round doors?' ;)

Member for

11 years 5 months

Ghost hunting at Hampton Court was a great pastime as youngsters, when we lived down the road. I think security might be a tad tighter now.......:D

Member for

14 years 11 months

My mischievous side would beg to ask...

...'since when do ghosts need to open and peer round doors?' ;)

Rarely, especially if the door hadn't been closed in the first place.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Rarely, especially if the door hadn't been closed in the first place.

Sorry, I was responding to the post about the 'ghost' caught on CCTV opening the door at Hampton Court Palace...

...but thank you for coming back to explain in more detail the circumstance surrounding your own experience. As you say it is a mystery; I cannot explain it but I love a good mystery and enjoy trying to find a rational explanation for mysterious events. I certainly would not jump to the conclusion that the only explanation is that it was a ghost.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Why, despite practically everybody in the country having a high-definition, low-light capable, camera on them, almost every minute of the day and night, and the ability to self-publish images on YouTube, is the world not simply flooded with footage of 'ghosts'?

Exactly. And why is it that with ghosts, UFO's, nearly all "paranormal" activity, even the dear old Loch Ness Monster, there's always just enough anecdotal evidence to make it interesting or exciting, but somehow never quite enough to prove it?

Member for

17 years 6 months

I suppose these days even if there was really convincing footage of a 'ghost' caught on camera it would be difficult to accept it as genuine; the state-of-the-art with camera effects is so good, even at an amateur level, that it would be too easy to tamper with footage.

Member for

14 years 6 months

What exactly is a ghost?
Is it the spirit of a person who is `stuck` on this plane of existence for some reason or,
just the replaying of some moment of time?
Why do ghosts seem to want to scare us, appear at night or otherwise do weird stuff that
living people do not?
BTW I don't believe in ghosts but I am interested in what people think a ghost is.

Member for

11 years 5 months

A figment of the imagination, that's all.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think it would be a very boring world if we already knew 100% of everything that existed.

But it must be said the rationale for the existence of ghosts and spirits is very, very slight. I do come down on the side of it being people unable to find a rational explanation for a happening or phenomena defaulting to a simple, paranormal explanation.

Moggy

Member for

17 years 10 months

I nearly got ran over while bending over weeding the grass verge out the front of my house by a WWII vehicle, it really put the Willys up me !

Member for

17 years 6 months

Excuse me.....who put their willy up you??!!?

Member for

11 years 5 months

Worse yet - the willies are in the plural!!:D He won't weed that verge again, for sure......

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Whether they are real or not you all have to admit that even if just a fraction of what is reported just like Alien/UFO craft are true that's still a fraction unaccounted for, I tend to be on the side of they are real, as an example have any of you who own pets in particular Cats and Dogs, have you ever noticed how they appear to track something in motion when there is nothing about not even those pesky midges :D ? or ever noticed how they will sit and stair at a certain spot as if they are being spoken to sometimes even with ears raised ? I am certain that animals have the ability to see them better than us I am convinced the more I see Penny our last surviving Dog do it but the thing is all three Cats did it (RIP) and Pierce our other dog (RIP) did exactly the same.

Geoff.