Internet slow and playing up? anyone else? 10/4/15

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 10 months

Anyone else having problems ? I love to peruse eBay and that is very strange today.

Original post
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Trolly Aux,
Yes I have noticed that internet has slowed down considerably over the last year or so, while I realise the advertised speeds are only available at times when the web is on a quiet period, I also realise that everybody who uses the web cannot have the fastest speeds simply because it is impossible to have 100% web users using at the same time, the speeds are based on those who actually use while others are off line, then when one lot log off another lot log on allowing it to speed up at certain times of the day and night.
Could it be just that more and more people are accessing the web with the advent of phones being more able to access the net rather than Pc users ? But I assume it frustrates you also the amount of time to click an item on Ebay then seems to take an age before you can view in detail said item, were as before you clicked and in a couple of sec's you could then move on ? I know just how you feel matey.

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 2 months

With it being half-term you may be getting 'throttled' by your ISP to ensure all users in your area get access.

I've noticed speeds dropping the last few evenings (usually get about 4 - 5 Mbps) but this can drop down to 1 or less around 5-7pm. I have resorted to using the tether facility on my mobile to get around this - up to 10Mbps over the mobile network!

Member for

17 years 10 months

Thank you for the replies, makes sense about half term. It does look like eBay and paypal have their own issues,

Member for

24 years 2 months

Find out your contention ratio for your connection (number of users on each 'line') - you may be surprised to find it high and that may explain the slowing down. I think mine was about 50:1 last time I checked. With more broadband users accessing streaming video (Netflix, Amazon, etc) that could affect your eBuy perusing...

Member for

17 years 10 months

Thanks Bob, I am not up enough on how to work that all out, it has sped up a little over past couple of days now.