ANZAC DAY

Profile picture for user paul178

Member for

8 years 6 months

This Saturday the 25th of April, please spare a few moments thought for those who died for us at Gallipoli and during the rest of WW1 and those who came to our aid in WW2 and also paid the ultimate price. Thankyou Paul
Original post

Member for

8 years 2 months

My partner's great uncle was killed at Gallipoli. Although coincidentally born only about two miles from where I am writing (my partner's family moved to Bournmouth after the war, and she was brought up in Birmingham) he emigrated to New Zealand in 1913 and joined the Wellington Mounted Rifles, NZEF. He died on 9/8/15 in the middle of the battle for Sari Bair and is commemorated on the Chunuk Bair memorial. His grieving parents had a memorial to him errected in the local churchyard, but as far as we know never went to Turkey to visit the place of his death. We will be visiting his local memorial again on the 9th August.
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

6 years 8 months

Hi All, Yes will be doing that, quite a good documentary on the history channel with presenter Neil Oliver (The Memorial: Beyond The Anzac Legend) part 1 has already aired but should be able to get on catch-up on Sky. Here's a link for some further info :- http://h100.tv/show/the-memorial-beyond-the-anzac-legend Geoff.
Profile picture for user victor tango

Member for

5 years 2 months

Well chaps..........if any one is interested, some years ago I was responsible for erecting a tablet on the house of a Gallipoli VC and his wife. The tablet was blessed by the vicar of Bray at a small ceremony. I would have liked to ask the owners of the house for permission to hold a short service of remembrance again. I am a bit housebound and therefore cannot drum up local enthusiasm as I used to. But I have this organ of communication, which is even better ???? It is located in Holyport Berkshire and is for Major Foreshaw, the cigarette VC. Also Paley St cemetery where there is a CWG stone situated. Much more info for all, depending on any responses to this.
Profile picture for user paul178

Member for

8 years 6 months

Although attending in Berkshire is beyond me due to health. I for one would be interested in any info you care to share.
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

6 years 8 months

Hi All, Watched some of the ceremony in London on the BBC this morning it's just amazing to think of just how many lost their lives from both sides just for a small piece of land :- British/French and French W.Africans/Canadians/Indian/Australian/New Zealanders/Turkish/German/Austro-Hungarians let alone all the civilians employed one way or another. RIP All you men and Women. Geoff.
Profile picture for user Wokka Bob

Member for

8 years 4 months

My Grandfather was lucky? to survive the horrors of Gallipoli, went on to Egypt, Palestine, MGC, France, eventually being put back in Civvy Street in 1919. He passed away when I was 10. Unfortunately his marriage did not survive. My Mother forever despaired at this breakup only to lose her younger brother in WWII (Channel Dash 12 Feb 1942 – 49 Sqn Hampden). She died (1990) still grieving them both and her other two brothers who survived WWII. 25 Years later we still grieve them all. Bob