Bl**dy Charities

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 5 months

This is what disgusts me about them, and most are no doubt paying their Chief Execs six figure sums

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32748923

Original post

Member for

11 years 5 months

She was 92 and in ill- health and her family did not choose to lay the blame at the feet of pestering charities.

This struck me as a sad story but one typically over egged by the media, when I read it elsewhere yesterday.

I am in no way defending this aspect of how they operate but how typical is it? And what have the CEO's salaries got to do with it especially as we do not know which were involved?

Member for

12 years 11 months

Charlie

I'm with TonyT on this. Yonks ago, we sent some money to Gt. Ormond St. Within a very short space of time - something like about three months, most of our mail comprised pressure begging letters from charities mainly in this country and, it still does.

Tony's point about excessive salaries is, in my experience, accurate. I had a friend who became a fund raiser for a nationally known charity - twenty five years ago. The salary, for that time, was huge and made me blink. Something not far removed from 25K per annum with other benefits.

On receiving frequent soliciting from Oxfam, I had the temerity to phone them and ask how much of every pound donated went to the point of care. They were very shirty, shifty and guarded. I can't remember what they quoted so, I won't guess but, it was jaw dropping. Charities have, for a long time, become an industry or business. In former times people volunteered their services free of charge or, for expenses only. Not now. It appears to have become a way for people to enrich themselves at the expense of the unfortunate.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Charlie
I'm with TonyT on this. Yonks ago, we sent some money ro Gt. Ormond St. Within a very short space of time - something like about three months, most of our mail comprised pressure begging letters from charities mainly in this country and, it still does.

Sadly had the same experience with BHF. Subscribed to give £5 per month. When the begging letters started I cancelled.

Member for

14 years

The case in Bristol was awful, there's a lot of charities which have much to answer for.

The only street collectors I "regularly" give to are the Salvation Army.
There are just too many charities trying to tug at the heart strings, mostly with "children" in the title.
Some years ago, there was a chap in our area who was making a very good living out of setting up charities,
with collectors on commission.

I don't have the exact figures, but I believe charities can take 75% or more in expenses.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Alan. I will only give the "Sally Ann" as my ole mum used to say. It was because, during WW2 they were always the first on the scene after the ALL CLEAR was sounded.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

15 years 10 months

Sadly had the same experience with BHF. Subscribed to give £5 per month. When the begging letters started I cancelled.

Repeat your experience, set up a DD with a charity, then the letters and phone calls asking for more, cancelled my subscription, very quickly a "rep" on the phone clearly trying to get me back on board, without any bad language, explained very clearly that I didn't have a problem, but they were the problem.

Member for

13 years

Living in Bristol I have met Olive on a few occasions usually to buy a poppy from her. She was a kind and caring person with a nice smile. Living outside Bristol now I have not seen her for a few years now but her memory lives on.
I am not going to blame charities solely for her death,but last year she went to the local paper about the volume of begging letters and phone calls.I would not think this helped her frame of mind especially as it seems she had other issues.
RIP Olive you made a great contribution to the RBL and others we may never know about.I am very sad at the awful death she chose and the turmoil that must have been in her mind to do this

Charities I will give to a collector for a charity I wish to support. I would never do a direct debit or give my name and address to any of them.I am not sure if it is true but it is my understanding that lists of people are sold on to other charities once they are no use to them anymore. Where do the lists come from? When casting about for an insurance quote I made a spelling mistake in one of my names(I have four thanks Mum and Dad) A year later I am still getting heart string letters with that mistake in it! Strange that.