Yes Bassist Has Paassed away.

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I am surprised this has not been mentioned the Original Bassist that co-founded the Prog-Rock group YES passed away 28/06 while battling Leukaemia, it came out of the blue as he had only just returned to his Phoenix home to have treatment for it an absolute shock to all.
http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/article/chris-squire-yes-bassist-and-co-founder-dead-at-67-20150628/201084/medium_rect/1435506595/720x405-GettyImages-164617021.jpg
RIP MR SQUIRE.

Original post

Member for

9 years 7 months

I was very saddened to hear this. 67 seems much to young, especially for such a larger than life character. A consummate musician who gave the bass guitar an authoritative voice and moved it away from the dull secondary role typical of most '60s music. Chris treated his Rickenbacker like a chamber instrument, and I cannot see how Yes will be able to continue without him.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Meddle,
Have watched the 2004 acoustic set (Below) yet ? If you haven't you should his bass playing is superb...;)

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Picked this news up 29/6/15 - promptly stuck his solo album "Fish Out Of Water" on - early Yes albums were a big part of my 'life soundtrack'.

:(

Member for

9 years 7 months

Fish Out of Water is a good record; lots of strident orchestration with the bass guitar high in the mix. Mel Collins and Bill Bruford are nice additions to the backing band, and Squire's lyrics are a pleasant change to Jon Anderson's impenetrable writing.

Thanks for the heads up, 1batfastard. I've seen bits and pieces of the acoustic Yes material, but I tend to view it the same way as the orchestral Yes material. For me, the solid Yes albums are with Eddie Offord sitting behind the mixing desk.