Freeloading at airshows

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 6 months

You seem to have conveniently ignored the comments posted by several members about freeloaders enjoying the benefits of what those who pay help to provide.

No of course that day will never come but surely it's the principle which is important. A criteria of modern life sadly and widely lost.

Member for

9 years 7 months

From Google:

The tragedy of the commons is a term, originally used by Garrett Hardin, to denote a situation where individuals acting independently and rationally according to each's self-interest behave contrary to the best interests of the whole group by depleting some common resource.

Member for

14 years 1 month

You seem to have conveniently ignored the comments posted by several members about freeloaders enjoying the benefits of what those who pay help to provide.

No not ignored, conveniently or otherwise.
The views I express are mine, I'm sorry I don't go along (or agree) with the views of everyone else.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Since all of our views are our own for people to accept or not your remark "I really don't understand why so many are getting so hot under the collar about people watching a display from outside of the airfield" is rather irrelevant isn't it? Some agree with you and some don't. Those who don't have given their reasons, which you don't agree with so there is little more to understand.

Member for

18 years 11 months

From Google:

The tragedy of the commons is a term, originally used by Garrett Hardin, to denote a situation where individuals acting independently and rationally according to each's self-interest behave contrary to the best interests of the whole group by depleting some common resource.

How very nicely and succinctly put.

Member for

9 years 7 months

Agree with you, Charlie.
It's still, (mostly), a free country, so I live and let live, but to a degree there is in me a sense of resentment that I have coughed up the hard earned to see the show while others haven't. I know my own views but life's too short to get steamed up over it. End of the day, I have the small satisfaction of knowing that my funds have made a tiny contribution to what I enjoy seeing.

Member for

13 years

From Google:

Bit like the EU and its members ?

Member for

17 years 6 months

I don't think anybody's getting 'steamed up' over it; this is a discussion forum...

...somebody asked the question, others have given their views.

Member for

14 years 1 month

...somebody asked the question, others have given their views.

Quite :)

Member for

9 years 7 months

Bit like the EU and its members ?

What is the common resource in this scenario? I can see it applying to fish stocks in the North Sea, to give one example.

Member for

13 years

Spot on ! But, also as a matter of general principle. You could include the euro of current renown !

Member for

14 years 7 months

If a person stands outside an airshow venue and watches a display that's a positive for historic aviation.
One more person that has enjoyed the day, enjoyed the aircraft and taken away something positive. At a later date if only a small percentage
of these people are encouraged to attend or support their local airfield then that's got to be a good thing.
The day we should worry is when no one stands outside, no one takes interest, no one cares.

Member for

17 years 6 months

One more person that has enjoyed the day, enjoyed the aircraft and taken...

...lots of photographs with their camera and their big expensive lenses! :rolleyes:

Yes, I can understand a fairly local novice to the airshow scene 'happening' upon an airshow but you can't expect those that routinely cross the country, with hundreds of pounds worth of camera equipment, to suddenly develop more of an interest in historic aviation (and more of a social conscience) and start paying to photograph the aircraft from inside the airshow (or at least make a donation of equivalent value).

Member for

24 years 3 months

If Big Beautiful Doll had gone in, a few hundred feet to the left, maybe the question of members of the public viewing from outside the fence would be a thing of the past?...

Member for

14 years 1 month

If Big Beautiful Doll had gone in, a few hundred feet to the left, maybe the question of members of the public viewing from outside the fence would be a thing of the past?...

Although an accident is more likely to take place within an airfield boundary. Perhaps they should also close the M11 during
the course of an airshow, just in case ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Oh, best close the M23 (Gatwick), M25 (Heathrow), M11 (Stansted), A45 (Coventry) etc etc as they all have more traffic than Duxford... :D

Member for

20 years 8 months

If a person stands outside an airshow venue and watches a display that's a positive for historic aviation.
One more person that has enjoyed the day, enjoyed the aircraft and taken away something positive. At a later date if only a small percentage
of these people are encouraged to attend or support their local airfield then that's got to be a good thing.
The day we should worry is when no one stands outside, no one takes interest, no one cares.
That is a very good point of view. Though I have never stood outside an airshow I am happy to say that my interest in aviation was started by attending an airshow and I've never looked back. My late parents never realised how gratefull I was, and still am, to them for taking me to that first one.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Oh, best close the M23 (Gatwick), M25 (Heathrow), M11 (Stansted), A45 (Coventry) etc etc as they all have more traffic than Duxford... :D

Now we're getting silly but carry on, I'm enjoying this discussion.

Member for

11 years 6 months

It flowed easily from the preceding post!;)