Advance Australia Fair

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

Or not as the case maybe. Can't be many cricket enthusiasts on the forum ? I rather thought that the Forum headlines would be flashing furiously by now. England's comprehensive demolition of the Aussies is surely just retribution for the whitewash debacle last time in Australia ?

I'm aware that 'one swallow does not a summer make' but, it is a start and by the scale of the win, quite unexpected. On a flat, unappetising wicket, England were by far the better side.

Satisfaction will be complete when I hear that Joe Root has taken revenge and 'decked' Warner.

Original post

Member for

11 years 5 months

I absolutely agree and everything is pointing to a series win for us but we have been here before and the Aussies are not to be underestimated. But I am seriously excited by the prospects.;)

Member for

12 years 9 months

Beware of the defeat snatched from Victory. A well known British fate!

Member for

12 years 11 months

Advance Oz ? Didn't they just! What an abysmal performance by England, as bad as Cardiff was excellent. A flat wicket and in no sense a seamer's wicket and all out for just over 100 !

Geoff boycott as always produced the best criticism after the match:

"Men versus boys ".

Will there be wholesale changes or, indeed changes of any kind ? I doubt it. But we do need batsmen who can reliably face up to hostile quick bowling.

Member for

13 years

K P will do for me.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Paul, there's a lot in that. I can't see the selectors letting him back in.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Oh calamity ! Pauses to adjust jockstrap dislodged by excessive guffawing. Australia all out in the first innings. Score:
60, I'll do it again, 60 ALL OUT.

Broad takes 8 for 15. Astonishing.

Member for

9 years 6 months

Fingers cautiously crossed.
Just hope the syndrome mentioned in Wokka's comment isn't about to rear it's ugly head!

Member for

11 years 5 months

At 99 for 3 England still have a great deal to do........the fat lady is some way from her entrance yet!

Member for

16 years 2 months

I can hear a few warbles from the dressing room...

Member for

12 years 11 months

At 99 for 3 England still have a great deal to do........the fat lady is some way from her entrance yet!

Being fat, she's bound to be.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Altho' I can get only the highlights on Five, the match was utterly riveting. Joe Root's 125, Broad's 8 for 15 - wonderful.

Perhaps now, quick runs for England and a declaration at say, 360 ish, leaving the England bowlers to once more run amok !

Member for

18 years 7 months

Hope we don't regret all this soon. As someone above pointed out, England have a unique talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Blimey, calamity ! It's running to a third day.

Member for

11 years 5 months

From a purely financial point of view Trent Bridge must be thankful for Australia's attempted fight back because an end on day 2 would have cost them a great deal of money. But anying other than an England win sometime tomorrow is unthinkable.

Member for

14 years

A great result (nearly) for England, but not I fear, a great advert for test cricket.
I hope the last test at least, goes into a fifth day. There must be a lot of unhappy supporters
who have been denied seeing any test cricket in this series. Irrespective of the results.

Member for

12 years 11 months

We musn't do that Olde Englyshe habit of carping. Just be so pleased that we can tread Aussie noses into the dust and gloat a bit because you can be sure if it had been the other way around it would have taken until the next Ashes series for us to live down an English defeat.

The epitome of optimism: An Aussie batsmen applying sunscreen !

Member for

19 years 2 months

Dear Alistair Cook

I apologise......

You were right....and I was wrong........

Well done.......

And to Mr Bayliss and Mr Farbrace......Very well done.....keep it up please.
Appreciate you cannot win every game....but like the attitude.

Cricket in England in is a perilous situation if it is going to survive.
It must have a successful England team playing exciting cricket if it is to have a chance !

Member for

11 years 5 months

Well said!!;)

Member for

12 years 11 months

Dear Alistair Cook

I apologise......

You were right....and I was wrong........

Well done.......

And to Mr Bayliss and Mr Farbrace......Very well done.....keep it up please.
Appreciate you cannot win every game....but like the attitude.

Cricket in England in is a perilous situation if it is going to survive.
It must have a successful England team playing exciting cricket if it is to have a chance !

Yes indeed, well put. It seems that public schools will be the only source of the next generation of young cricketers. To a great extent I blame the disappearance of cricket from terrestrial TV.

Out of sight out of mind.

Member for

12 years 11 months

I think that if Boycott had been in the England batting lineup to-day, than England would have been batting for the draw up until and including the last ball bowled on the fifth day.

Why oh why do expensively paid professional batsmen insist on swishing outside the off stump ?

Anyway (grumpily) the Aussies certainly played the better game - by far.