Fox Hunting

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

If the Scots want to do something useful start culling thousands of Deer that are wrecking their agriculture and forestry.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I do feel a lot of the anti sentiments are more class-based than anything else.
Moggy

Quite.
However, when it comes to animals, whatever you do, someone will be against it.
Horse racing, zoos, pure-bread dogs....all have critics (to say nothing of the vegetarian/vegan crowd).

A few years ago, the people at Cruffs banned bassets (among other breeds) for promoting abnormalities. In that case, it was because of the amount of "haw" ( the lower droopy eye lids that give bassets the "sad" look) on some dogs.
Quality American breeders have been breeding out excessive haw for 20+years. None of my three former and current bassets had much at all. My current boy, a retired champion from a well respected show kennel, has virtually none. My point of this mini-rant is even animal people disagree about issues, so you can imagine when the general public and politicians...agitated by the media...get involved.

Moggy, I agree horses are strange animals. A friend's horse raising wife was thrown a couple of years ago with serious results.
Still, some are great. A neighbor's nanny is keeping her horse in our back pasture for the summer. A very nice animal, one of the more friendly ones I've encountered.
They can be a joy to watch, occasionally it gallops around the field, its hoofbeats on the grass sounding like the soundtrack to the westerns I saw on TV as a child. Other times, you'll hear one whinny when one of their friends is removed from a pasture for a ride.

One neighbor uses hers to go riding in the nearby national forests. Another neighbor just took his two oldest sons (age 12 and 10) out for a two day trail ride in the mountains., spending the night in a forest service cabin.
So I guess they are of some use. :) At least my old cars don't require constant feeding when not in use.

Member for

13 years 9 months

The old cars of yours probably don't need feeding John, good job, because under the hood are probably 300 to 400 "Horsepower", imagine feeding that lot !! :D

Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

18 years 9 months

Probably.

Can't say I am bothered one way or another really. I certainly wouldn't get involved in hunting, but then I hate horses

Moggy

Horse hunting......brilliant...I'm up for it, that.....and cyclists.

Member for

9 years 6 months

If the Scots want to do something useful start culling thousands of Deer that are wrecking their agriculture and forestry.

They are? I'm more concerned about the spread of lymes disease.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Horse hunting......brilliant...I'm up for it, that.....and cyclists.

:D :D :D

.... do something useful start culling thousands of Deer that are wrecking their agriculture and forestry.

There's a proposal to reintroduce the Lynx to Thetford Forest which would be a sensible and natural way to control the deer population. Needless to say, when I wrote to my useless MP (Elizabeth Truss) about it she came back with a load of negativity.

Moggy

And no - Not helicopters!

Member for

12 years 11 months

[QUOTE=J Boyle;2240807
However, when it comes to animals, whatever you do, someone will be against it.
Horse racing, zoos, pure-bread dogs.... [/QUOTE]

JB,

What kind of pure bread dogs ? Hovis or Wonderloaf bred ?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Naturally (and obviously) I was thinking the buns for the Dachshunds. However, my neighbor had a pure bread dog, but it died of a yeast infection.

Sorry about the e-a mixup. Spell check won't always alert you. Lest you think ill of my word use, I'll point out I did use "ee" later in the post.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Any more of that and you're toast !

Member for

13 years

Spitfireman it is not horses of bicycles that are the problem it some of the idiots that ride them!

Member for

15 years 10 months

Panic over, Cameron's chickened out when he realised the whole plan was going down like a lead balloon, however I believe the dastardly plan is to reintroduce the "amendment" when the Scottish MPs have been stopped from voting on "English" laws.

I grew up in the country, am very much a country lad, but this was an arable farming area, the horse riding fraternity were not always welcomed or even tolerated, particularly when they seem to think a grain field in spring was a nice bit of new grass to gallop on or feed for their horses, someone came up with the bright idea of fox hunting, it didn't go well.

Member for

13 years

John Wonderloaf became extinct in 2012 so if you have any left in your freezer I suggest you give it a decent burial in your bin.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Crumbs !! I wondered why each slice looked pre toasted.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Panic over, Cameron's chickened out when he realised the whole plan was going down like a lead balloon, however I believe the dastardly plan is to reintroduce the "amendment" when the Scottish MPs have been stopped from voting on "English" laws.

I grew up in the country, am very much a country lad, but this was an arable farming area, the horse riding fraternity were not always welcomed or even tolerated, particularly when they seem to think a grain field in spring was a nice bit of new grass to gallop on or feed for their horses, someone came up with the bright idea of fox hunting, it didn't go well.

Cameron knew exactly what he was doing, and the SNP did exactly what he expected them to.

The whole thing had s0d all to do with foxes or hunting, and everything to do with seeing which way the SNP would jump when it came to voting on English laws.

The Tories have re-mastered the game of politics. Trust nothing. Everything is done for a reason.

Member for

14 years

It's straight from an episode of "Yes Prime Minister" :)

Member for

12 years 8 months

Cameron knew exactly what he was doing, and the SNP did exactly what he expected them to.

The whole thing had s0d all to do with foxes or hunting, and everything to do with seeing which way the SNP would jump when it came to voting on English laws.

The Tories have re-mastered the game of politics. Trust nothing. Everything is done for a reason.

That is what he would like you to think, and the spin his friends in the press are giving it. I am not convinced. As has been said before, when it is a toss up between c0ck up and conspiracy, it is usually a c0ck up.

Member for

15 years 10 months

That is what he would like you to think, and the spin his friends in the press are giving it. I am not convinced. As has been said before, when it is a toss up between c0ck up and conspiracy, it is usually a c0ck up.

I feel Cameron was pandering to the "country" set hoping to sneak amendments through the back door, we know the Countryside Alliance are vociferous on this subject, but I would like to see the actual support for this medieval practice among the rural community.

Certainly many are definitely anti-hunting and the hunts themselves are finding that many landowners are barring them from land previously hunted over.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Silver FOX with a name like FOX, do you have to keep an ear out for the Hounds when out for a stroll in the Country?.......:D
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 2 months

Its all too easy to focus on the small battles. Fox hunting doesn't even register - he has done his bit to appease the countryside alliance, and can now blame someone else for it not going through. It will end up as one of those bills for which they run out of time at about this point every year.

Keep your eye on the big picture - and remember the old 'Its a good day to bury bad news' story from 9/11. This is a bit more subtle, but its no different. Keep the public busy with things like this - AND give them the odd pyrrhic victory to make them feel worthwhile, and get on with the real job in the background.

Me? Cynical? Hell Yeah.