Lion killed by American Dentist

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33695872
We just haven't advanced as a species have we. America, shame on you.

Original post

Well he has been bombarded with hate mail. Serves him right.

Member for

9 years 7 months

Did he slip with the scalpel?

The dentist's Facebook page was being buried in hate earlier today. I'm guessing he is having a rough time of it at the moment!

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Leave the poor guy alone he never knew the Lion was famous he has aid so :rolleyes: So that makes it fine to 1st injure the Lion and then kill it with a gun ????? That's not hunting that's tormenting also a Rifle apparently designed for long range shots a Pistol is for one shot close kill generally as far as hunting goes surely to put whatever animal out of it's pain if the 1st shot never killed ????

It just boggles the mind that he has this mentality just because hunting is what he loves ???? Why is this pillock not being extradited to Zimbabwe ? He claims it was all legal with all the right permits but have they been produced ? NO!

If there were permits then surely he would have retained a copy with his signature on to prove his so called innocence ? Also the Zimbabwean authority's will have a copy that he signed if all being legitimate surely but I notice his defence is to blame the guides rather than come out of hiding and hold his hands up while trying to clear this tragedy up......:(

I just wonder how he would feel god forbid if a Family member was raped and the rapist used as mitigating circumstances :- "Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly resulted in the taking of this Family member" somehow I doubt it.......:mad:

Geoff.

Member for

13 years 10 months

I only caught a bit of it on Sky news, but wasn't there a Rhino shot as well, or was that another story?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 5 months

If Americans can't stop shooting things, the least they could do is stay home and just shoot each other.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I only caught a bit of it on Sky news, but wasn't there a Rhino shot as well, or was that another story?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

I think that was an older picture ?

This individual seems to have made it his life's ambition to kill as much wildlife as possible.
Must be some "macho" thing ?
I would guess his career as a dentist in his home town, will come to an abrupt end.
Which unfortunately will also impact on those working for, or with him.

Of course, he is not the only one. http://heavy.com/news/2014/07/kendall-jones-texas-hunter-cheerleader-facebook-photos-conservation/

Member for

14 years 10 months

Feed him to the Lions. Let them have the final say. Easy.

Member for

17 years 6 months

They should send him to Syria, the wildlife there though will shoot back. I should imagine his life will sadly be just about destroyed once the likes animal defence nutters get on his case. I can understand selling the licences if it involved taking out dying / injured animals or those that have attacked villages etc, but the rest is just abhorrent, especially as he was in his prime.

Member for

10 years 8 months

He relied on the local guides to obtain the right permits, so there probably are no legal papers to produce.

Member for

17 years 6 months

It's still an 1800's sport and should have died out then, perhaps we would then have more of the species that have been decimated surviving

Member for

9 years 7 months

The idea that paperwork can somehow govern if a man can shoot a lion or not seems somewhat farcical. For me it seems like a strange andout-of-touch means by which the dentist is explaining away his actions. The simple truth is that he enjoys game hunting with a flair for downing large and/or dangerous animals. His odd hobby has been covered Internet wide, and his go to excuse is that he thought the paperwork was in order? Nutter.

Then again, the need for geometrically perfect, unnaturally white teeth seems a bit unhealthy in my view and, at worst, seems to not be too far removed from the eugenics movement. Anybody who caters to such a need, rather than providing dentistry for health reasons, already profits of vanity and is therefore a little morally suspect. Leonard Nimoy and Donald Sutherland are two actors who stumped up for posh veneers and ruined their diction as a result. Was it worth it? Both became a little sibilant as a result; Sutherland in The Eagle and Nimoy in Star Trek Into Darkness.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Well Nimoys' took his final journey, so they will soon be laying in the bottom of his packing crate.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Regardless of whether he thought it was legal or not (though he does seem to have form for bending the rules) I simply can not understand the mentality of someone who would travel halfway round the world to kill such a beautiful creature purely for fun. Hasn't even got any of the old hunters' excuses like doing it for food, eliminating a dangerous animal, or culling an unhealthily growing animal population. Is it some kind of jealousy that drives these twisted individuals; was he saying in effect " You may be wild, free, and beautiful, but F-that, I'm better than you because I've got a crossbow"?

Member for

13 years

I would quite happily shoot him and skin him while still alive! I bet he has bugged out back to the good ole USA and safety. My opinion of him is dirty stinking pond life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member for

15 years 10 months

As far as not being aware of this particular lion's importance, it is reported that the lion was deliberately targeted using baits to attract the lion out of the National Park area, hope this guy is proud of himself, doubt very much that he will return to Zimbabwe any time soon.

His penchant for playing silly bloody games with his cross bow is a disgrace whatever animal he is "hunting", notice the tosser didn't go into the bush tracking this lion before or after shooting the animal, plus of course this lion was reasonably easy around humans and not likely to run or attack on sight.

Member for

13 years 10 months

I see in his home town, the population of which, had a demonstration yesterday outside his Surgery, they all want him extraditing back to Zimbabwe to face trial. I used to do Archery quite a lot when younger, and from what I saw in the photo, of him, and the Lion he shot, it didn't look like a Crossbow, but a modern recurve bow.
I know from experience, when shooting in field events, to hit the small "Kill" area, you have to be pretty close, I cannot understand this man, he would have undoubtedly used a BROARDHEAD arrow, which is basically a 4 bladed very sharp head, designed to slice through vital organs. How it took them 40 hours to find this wounded animal, despite having two guides/trackers, is beyond me.I just hope he gets what he deserved, struck off, from ever practicing again.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

14 years 1 month

.I just hope he gets what he deserved, struck off, from ever practising again.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

I think most would agree with you Jim, although it's unlikely to happen as it wasn't linked to his job.
It's not just Americans and their offspring (see my link above) who enjoy killing wildlife, there's British
people doing this as well. I honestly don't see the skill in killing an animal that has been lured to the
kill site. They may as well go into a zoo and shoot animals.

It'll soon be pheasant killing season.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Well Alan, whilst I agree with you about him not being struck off, what he has done has gone viral, and he is supposidly the most hated man on tinternet, so I doubt even if he set up a Practice elsewhere in the U.S.A. he wouldn't get many, if he would get any patients on his books. it's about time ALL hunting wild game animals were protected worldwide. The Chinese are perhaps some of the worst for killing many creatures because the believe that f'rinstance sharks fins make good soup, so sharks are caught, their dorsal fin cut off and the shark, whilst still alive is dumped back into the Sea, same with whales, I think it is Japan that has an allocation of "X" number of them it may kill, for scientific studies, but in reality they are killed for food. Many fish these days are reared in special "Pens" where they are grown on until they are a saleable size, whilst the Wild same fish variety are left to continue to populate as Mother Nature intended.Thus keeping wild fish sustainable.That's when the Spanish and French enter our waters, and use illegal small sized nets, that clear the shoals of fish, that are supposed to escape, and which would, if the right sized nets were sed, so undersised fish are not being allowed to grow to a size whereby they would be able to grow large enough to mate, and keep fish sustainable, but with just one or two fishery protection ships to check these ships, they escape the net. I have read reports where the Japanese use Long Lines, these are baited lines, some 30 to 40 miles in length, that will take the baited hooks. Another method they use is a gigantic ship, that locate large shoals of fish using high tech fish finders, once a shoal has been located, a massive pipe is dropped into the fish, and the whole shoal is sucked up via the tube, the ship is also a factory ship, and the caught fish are gutted and frozen very quickly, these ships are designed with huge Holds, and can remain at sea for many months, just hoovering shoal after shoal of fish up.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yet another example of blinkered, dumb sheep-like social media overreaction to an event, whilst highly newsworthy, hardly produces a reading on the richter scale of global problems.

He should go use his hunting skills in Syria, get Jihadi John and accomplices. Oh wait, they shoot back.....