Lion killed by American Dentist

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

Yet another example of blinkered, dumb sheep-like social media overreaction to an event, whilst highly newsworthy, hardly produces a reading on the richter scale of global problems.

I think you are heavily outnumbered Chas in what you have stated.I found it more interesting than the migrants who are trying to get here from France.Most of the folks in the world are animal lovers, and most don't give a sh*te about migrants.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 6 months

I don't doubt it, Linc!:D Animal stories will usually outweigh human stories.....:rolleyes:

Member for

10 years 8 months

I see in his home town, the population of which, had a demonstration yesterday outside his Surgery, they all want him extraditing back to Zimbabwe to face trial.

For the sake of keeping down poachers and illegal guides enticing foreigners into shooting trips he needs to be made an example of: how many rich, would-be hunters will want to come in to shoot at big game if they risk being incarcerated in an African jail when shown that their actions carry a weighty sentence?
The re-enactment of the crime using water pistols and cuddly toys outside his practice did make me laugh though...

Member for

13 years

The yanks extraditing him don't make me laugh! Still the only thing we have in common with them is an almost common language except they have not learned to keep the volume down a bit.

Member for

13 years 10 months

It may well be Paul, don't forget, Obama's parents came from Africa, so he may well allow the dentist to be extradited, or be shown as being two faced,(As most Politicians are anyway)
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Yes, serves him right :D

On another note, no one bats an eyelid about the 20,000 human murders per year in South Africa since the fall of apartheid. Husbands, wives, children. Before that the rate was around 2,000 per year. Probably many other third world countries with similar problems.

Member for

10 years 8 months

In other news...:

A man from Texas has been wounded after a bullet he fired at an armadillo ricocheted and hit him in the head, the local sheriff says.
The shooting incident took place in the Marietta area of East Texas.
Three shots were fired and at least one ricocheted off the shell.
The gunman was treated for a minor injury to the jaw, USA Today reports, but the small armoured creature has not been found and its fate remains unclear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33748027

If it moves, shoot it.

Member for

15 years 10 months

In other news...:

If it moves, shoot it.

Long been a philosophy of the USA as many "allied" servicemen will testify.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Like the A10s that shot up or Tanks and crew during the Gulf war?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

20 years 2 months

Like the A10s that shot up or Tanks and crew during the Gulf war?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Jim you make it sound like they did it on purpose, seeing that the Americans had about 70% of the aircraft in that conflict, I think there would be more chance of American firing on us than the other way round don't you?

it was war, sh(t happens.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I enjoyed this from Charles Moore this morning.

"If an American dentist called Cecil had been killed by a lion, few outside his family would have fussed. Some might even have laughed heartlessly. When a lion called Cecil is killed by an American dentist, half the world goes mad with rage and grief. Does this speak well or ill for the human race?"

Member for

20 years 2 months

I enjoyed this from Charles Moore this morning.

"If an American dentist called Cecil had been killed by a lion, few outside his family would have fussed. Some might even have laughed heartlessly. When a lion called Cecil is killed by an American dentist, half the world goes mad with rage and grief. Does this speak well or ill for the human race?"

If a lion kills a dentist it will be through instinct, that a***h*** did it for fun, but I dare say you will have another opinion you usually do, not long ago I seem to remember you saying on another thread that it wouldn't bother you if the Tiger became extinct, so I can see why killing a Lion means nothing to you. But to a lot of people it does.

Man is the only creature that kills for fun or sport.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Bruggen - the point is in the reaction and shear volume of the coverage. If the lion had killed a dentist I suggest it would barely cause a ripple on social media. But I hope I would be proved wrong.

27vet - do you recall that study of chimpanzees a while ago? The film was deemed shocking at the time as a group of chimps appeared to be killing other chimps for no perceivable reason. We might conclude that the less intelligent the animal the more it's actions will be purely instinctive but those with more brain power may have evolved more complex relationships.

Member for

13 years 10 months

Bruggen. In a nutshell, NO. Don't forget that OUR Tanks, had a "Gadget" on them that transmitted a signal, stating that they were FRIENDLIES and NOT the enemy, Guess they used one of their Amendments as an excuse..:apologetic:
Jim
Lincoln .7

http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/17/29/29/41/zebra_10.jpg

Member for

20 years 2 months

Bruggen - the point is in the reaction and shear volume of the coverage. If the lion had killed a dentist I suggest it would barely cause a ripple on social media. But I hope I would be proved wrong.

I think the media are doing a great job on this, if it just stops one other a***h **L* then it's well worth don't you think?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Bruggen. In a nutshell, NO. Don't forget that OUR Tanks, had a "Gadget" on them that transmitted a signal, stating that they were FRIENDLIES and NOT the enemy, Guess they used one of their Amendments as an excuse..:apologetic:
Jim
Lincoln .7

Like I said these things happen in conflict, obviously something went wrong they also had a bl**dy great cross painted on the back, the way your saying it is they heard the friend or foe signal saw the friendly markings and fired regardless.
If it was the other way round and it was an RAF F3 Tornado that wasted two A-10s you would probably be coming up with allsorts of excuses.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think the media are doing a great job on this, if it just stops one other a***h **L* then it's well worth don't you think?

It'd be even better if social media went "viral" if that's the word, with human killing. As I said it's all about a sense of proportion. That's all.