Calais, migrants and everything related (Merged thread)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

No one seems to know with any accuracy the scale of the problem.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Oh John, Just let them take a walk around Boston, Holbeach, Lincs, and Wisbech Cambs. I don't need to see "Manipulated" figures to know just how big a problem this Country is facing.God only knows just what it's going to be like in 5 or 10yrs time.Too little, far too late.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

12 years 8 months

I've been to Wisbech quite often over the past twenty years. I have not seen any problems there as a visitor. It may of course be different if I lived there*, but your comment about "just take a walk round.." doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Edit: I have of course noticed changes in Wisbech, but there have been changes pretty much everywhere in the UK. For example, when in 1963 my parents moved into the hamlet on the outskirts of a village in Hampshire in which they still live approx 2500 people lived in that parish. 20000 people now live there. 2500 more houses are due to be built within a mile of where they live. And no, this is not entirely, or even mostly due to immigration to the UK, it is because the motorway came and so opportunities for work came with it.

*I wouldn't want to live there to be honest, far too flat a countryside for me

Member for

13 years 9 months

TIP, Trekkie.

Just go to the Sunday car boot sale, thats a good starting point, I can only assume your last visit was more years ago than your letting on........:confused:
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

12 years 8 months

2013, September.
I don't do car boot sales. Never ever been to one. Can't see the appeal, much rather be out on my bike on a Sunday morning
So, no, I have not been to a car boot sale in Wisbech, you have me there. what would I see?

Member for

13 years 9 months

Well you should, it would be educational for you, and as an aside, you may even pick up a bargain.............:D

Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

12 years 8 months

From what I have heard, I am more likely to pick up stolen goods. Or have I just been brainwashed by the stereotyping prevalent in the tabloids? (Slaps himself on the wrist)

Edit: I'll be honest, I don't feel comfortable in crowds, never have, so the combination of loads of people moving slowly from stall to stall is an anathema to me. That's why I don't go to Duxford airshows any more. Old Warden I can cope with as it very rarely gets as densely packed. I know it is irrational, but there it is...

The county in which I live has a population density of 84 people per km2. I can cope with that!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thank you trek buster for a breath of fresh air in this increasingly stale thread.

I've stopped commenting, as you have put it better than I can.

Fact is, we do have plenty of immigrants in Norfolk. They are of the hard working, fruit and vegetable picking type, with apologies for the stereotype. I have experience of just one, and frankly, he ran rings around me. I can't say that I liked him much, but I do respect him..

Member for

12 years 11 months

From what I have heard, I am more likely to pick up stolen goods. Or have I just been brainwashed by the stereotyping prevalent in the tabloids? (Slaps himself on the wrist)

Edit: I'll be honest, I don't feel comfortable in crowds, never have, so the combination of loads of people moving slowly from stall to stall is an anathema to me. That's why I don't go to Duxford airshows any more. Old Warden I can cope with as it very rarely gets as densely packed. I know it is irrational, but there it is...

The county in which I live has a population density of 84 people per km2. I can cope with that!

"don't feel comfortable in crowds"

You had better get some practice in.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Greenie, I don't feel crowded away from organised events for the most part. I don't often visit large cities as I feel claustrophobic but this has been the case since I was small and also means I don't like being in lifts even on my own for example, but to suggest that immigration at the current level will make everywhere in the UK be like Duxford's Tank Bank on airshow day is ludicrous, as I am sure you are aware.

Oh, I have just realised you were trying to make an amusing remark. Bless

Member for

14 years

I just had to post this, from Eastbourne on Saturday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]239932[/ATTACH]

Attachments