Should the family of a terrorist be restricted from visiting the UK?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

I was very sad to see an aircraft crash at my home airport of Blackbush,
but not as shocked to find the passengers were family of Osama.
Shouldn't such people be restricted from entering a democratic country on principle,
or is it just a case if they have the money and influence then that's fine?

Original post

Member for

11 years 5 months

He was totally disowned by his family years ago. They are in no way linked to his philosophy or his actions so why should they be "restricted on principle"? What principle are you evoking?

I presume you are not suggesting that every family member be made responsible for the actions of a criminal member of the family. Or are you?

Member for

17 years 6 months

Osama Bin Laden's father reportedly had fifty children!

Member for

10 years 7 months

Hmm. Interesting theory, but quite flawed.
The bin Ladens are big business people, extremely rich and well connected to the Saudi royal family, major power brokers and other business leaders in the Middle East. Despite what you might think about them, due to their name, quite a few of the family still live in America with others in the UK and Europe. I'd imagine it would be diplomatically difficult to remove them since they will have been checked out by security services and made influential friends , invested money, been good citizens. In addition a lot of them denounced Osama's actions of 2001, on top of disowning him due to the family's royal connections and his encouragement of internal dissent against the Saudi monarchy.
Every family has its black sheep...

Member for

11 years 5 months

Exactly so. I think the OP might not have been aware of all of this otherwise I doubt he would have posted.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Exactly so. I think the OP might not have been aware of all of this otherwise I doubt he would have posted.

No I didn't. I was interested on principle that anyone connected, however remotely should be restricted if for no other reason `politics`.
It's a little disconcerting to hear that name on your doorstep.

Member for

24 years 2 months

They've been coming and going for years, and have property in London. Don't let it worry you..!

Member for

9 years 6 months

You get into dangerous territory fairly quickly if you go down that route.

Member for

10 years 7 months

No I didn't. I was interested on principle that anyone connected, however remotely should be restricted if for no other reason `politics`.
It's a little disconcerting to hear that name on your doorstep.

I once flew over Libya, worked in America with people whose ancestors fought against Britain, and used to have a neighbour who was Irish - is any of that remote enough?