Getting to Eastbourne

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

We went to Eastbourne for the first time last year. Drove to Tonbridge and got the train to Eastbourne, via
St Leonards. Ok getting there, but as others have said before, long queues at the station getting back.
Then sat at St Leonards for over an hour because of trouble on the line.

How do others get there, without having to go at silly o'clock in the morning ?

What's it like parking at Beachy Head, which would be an alternative ?
I believe there are public loos there, but is that all ?
I imagine that would also mean an early start, as well as not all aircraft overflying the location.

Advice and ideas please.

Original post

Member for

10 years 7 months

You sound like you are going to Eastbourne for a reason, otherwise it might be worth choosing a wet Wednesday in November...

Member for

18 years 2 months

I wonder if it's for the Airshow? ;)

Member for

17 years 5 months

Maybe it was to join Jim and the blue rinse brigade feeding the seagulls :D

Member for

11 years 5 months

Think you might get more sympathy in Historic, Alan!!;) Anyway I thought crack of dawn departures went hand in hand with best seats at the house.

Member for

14 years

Thanks Charlie. :

I was thinking that an early start at Beachy Head was doable.
Then there was a lot of time to kill with not much else to look at.

Decisions, decisions .....

Member for

12 years 11 months

Alan,

We've been to the Eastbourne display for at least the last ten years. Each time we have driven. From the Chichester area, we leave at about 10.30am to drive the fifty or so miles to the venue.

We have no trouble finding parking. It might involve a short walk of about fifteen minutes. Best parking ? If arriving from the East, up the hill with the blocks of apartments on your right. Turn right where the road splits - very noticeable - and you'll find a space.

If coming from a Westerly direction, reverse the procedure. There is plenty of parking adjacent to Beachy Head but, it is a bit too far to walk and if you stay there, some distance from the action.

Member for

14 years

Thanks for that John.
Probably worth getting there fairly early, and having an early lunch somewhere.

As you say, Beachy Head is some distance from the action. Although ok for looking down on aircraft approaching
from the west, and the odd Red Arrow.

Not being familiar with Eastbourne, whereabouts on the map do you mean ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]239645[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

13 years 9 months

Maybe it was to join Jim and the blue rinse brigade feeding the seagulls :D

I have a Silver rinse you cheeky sod, and as for Seagulls, we have plenty around here without going all that way. Having said that, one could at Low tide, visit Beachy Head Lighthouse.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

12 years 11 months

Alan,

You want the road which is closest to the seafront and coming from the East takes you on a steady incline past Eastbourne Pier on the left with most of the large Eastbourne hotels on your right. You will be travelling West towards Beachy Head.

If you drive to Eastbourne Town center and follow the road signs to the pier then, staying tight to the road nearest the sea front, if you then turn right at any of the turnings past the Congress Theater, you'll find parking. The further up the hill you go, the more parking spaces are available. Around there is generally where we park.

Member for

14 years

Thanks again John.
Could well be very busy Saturday. With it being the only day the Vulcan is flying.

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

For us it's Beachy Head for Saturday. There is PAD parking was £4 for day. Public toilet block small but there is a pub. Take your chairs and admire the views there is also a memorial worth seeing. Sunday we are on the roof of Ocean Suite on the pier with the hope of getting a different angle. Let's hope the weather is good. We will be early birds as Charlie says goes with airshows in general in my view.

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

I think this should be in historic as well. Please consider moving.

Member for

14 years

We ended up parking in the station car park (£4 for the day). We got there just before 10am, and it was only about half full.
No problems with traffic getting there either. Being early, it gave my other half a chance to look around Marks & Sparks :)

Big mistake was deciding to go back via Hastings, ended up getting in a big queue of traffic. Then decided to divert to Battle,
where we had stayed at the pub opposite the abbey a couple of years ago. Thought we'd get a meal there.
Stopped in the car park, not realizing there is a flat charge of £4.50 to get out. Went to pub only to find that their
kitchen was closed for the day. Most of the other places seemed to be doing variations on Italian food.
Found we had no change for car park, so had to find shop to make an unnecessary purchase.
By this time I'd had enough, so we went home and got a take-away. Rest of journey home was thankfully uneventful.

Will we go again next year ? Doubtful unless there's another "must see" aircraft.

Member for

12 years 11 months

I got on the road about 9.0am. Painless drive along the A27 to Eastbourne with the options of turning off to Alfriston/Seaford if the traffic got heavy. Arrived 11.0am. Found plenty of parking in the back roads as indicated in my earlier comment.

More people at the show than i can remember from previous occasions. Always a good day out !

Member for

14 years

Trouble is, I'm just the driver. I let my wife take the executive decisions, it makes for a quiet life. :)

Member for

12 years 11 months

Al,

You've discovered the secret of a harmonious life !

Member for

14 years

It also means that we sometimes go off in completely the wrong direction :) :)