The Diesel con?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

So for years Diesel has been more expensive to purchase than Petrol despite it being
not as refined.
Diesels are actually regarded as greener especially newer engines (despite the particulates).
So more and more people have been turning to Diesel and that's been driving the cost down.
I now pay less per litre than for petrol.
So isn't it just a con by the government to declare Diesel is bad, polluting and so requires more taxation?
I hear new taxes in the pipe for us diesel drivers. A diesel sur charge?

Just another Government con to drain more revenue out of the motorist because of efficiency and falling fuel revenue in general ?

Original post

Member for

11 years 5 months

And driven by continental diesel prices which have always been much cheaper than unleaded at the pump, making the running costs even more attractive.

Member for

12 years 11 months

This could be a bit of a minefield. If private motorists are attacked what about the commercials ? Taxis, buses, ambulances, police vehicles and most outstandingly, goods vehicles. The knockon effect of diesel use penalties would produce more than a flicker on the nations inflationometer.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Which is why I reckon the talk of the death of diesel is a tad premature....has anyone computed the cost of the loss in value of current vehicles, and of replacing every diesel vehicle with unleaded. Billions would not cover it..A phased change over a couple of decades is just about feasible.

Member for

24 years 2 months

City charging / penalties will be here before very long. People will take a view on their own situation and choose.

Me? I sit behind a 2.7 V6 diesel which gives me about 40-42 mpg. I've just come back from France where fuel cost me 77p/litre. I rarely go into city centres in the car. Why would I change?

Moggy

Member for

18 years 2 months

Moggy, is that an Audi?

Member for

24 years 2 months

No. Jaguar.

Moggy

Member for

13 years

Shame on you Moggy driving along in comfort giving all those little children in their pushchairs Asthma.:D

Member for

24 years 2 months

I know, I feel really bad about it.

Moggy :dev2: