WIFI HELP NEEDED

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years

I regulary visit an ex patient who lives in a community residential home and age related health problems have cropped up.
He likes his classical music but due to his deafness his volume is up full blast so everyone in the home can hear his music.
Is there a way of utilising a cable free set of headphones connected to an old hi fi system via wifi or blue tooth.
Did have a look on line but totally confused with what's available.
Any experts or wizz kids out there that can suggest or point Me in the right direction

Ian

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Could you not simply put them on an IPod for him?

It depends on what the HiFi has in the way of outputs, does it have use for example.

Member for

16 years

Could you not simply put them on an IPod for him?

It depends on what the HiFi has in the way of outputs, does it have use for example.

Hi Tony
The only output is headphone and he only likes to play records. Just need a system that he just puts on headphones and plays records from the deck, without the problem of tripping over a long cable and that he can walk around his room whilst listening.
Ian

Member for

13 years

Ian, Cordless headphones are indeed the answer, but ignore wifi and bluetooth and go for a non-digital solution as it is still possible to (and less complex for an elderly mind and stiffened fingers to operate).

In the store (and even on the internet) it is not always easy at a glance to tell if a boxed headphones are wired, Bluetooth wireless or wireless. The majority of cordless headphones sold in the likes of Currys and Argos are 'Bluetooth' USB for mobile devices, however a few are not - cost is around £35-70 then up into ridiculous amounts. I've a Panasonic and a Sony, which we use so my wife can watch tv loud, I listen to tapes/CD player/radio loudish while on the PC, while the flat next door think we are out having an active social life!

They work using the ubiquitous standard small (or small into a large adapter) jack into the standard headphones output of the music player. This links by wire to a small base transmitter unit and battery charger, which in turn is connected to the household elec supply. This unit transmits wirelessly to the headset (with a choice of channel selection should there be interference), the listener can move around the house freely without loosing sound, can even go to the loo and wash their hands without interruption!. After use the headset is turned off and either connected by a short lead or placed onto the base station to recharge. The headsets have a little more bulk and weight due to using 2 x AAA rechargeable batteries (usually supplied nowadays) but in reality are not much larger or heavier than a wired set. New batteries last some 10 hours of use, then take around the same amount of time to recharge. Connection of the base station to the music player diverts all sound to the headphones. Volume control is both on the headphones (bit fiddly for older fingers) and on the music player (we usually adjust the headphones in a central position and adjust the sound volume on the tv or CD player).

I've had to replace both of ours in the past few weeks (due puppy damage!), so now use these models - but there are others:
Panasonic RP-WF950, sold by Argos, currently on offer at around £55, a £20 saving on their regular price
Sony RF811RK, sold by Currys/Dixons/PC World, currently £35.00
Supplying this detail as you can likely Goggle a description, or locate them easily on the store's home shopping web site. Main user difference is that the Sony needs the headphones charged by a short wire connection from the base station, the Panasonic charges the headphone when they are placed onto the shaped base station (simpler).

It has taken a while to type this reply, drop me a PM and let me know how you got on. As you are buying them for someone else to use, unbox at home, sort out the leads and connections, translate the instructions into actions(!), install the batteries and charge them up (upto 16 hours), use it so you know how it all works - then take it in and set it up saying how easy and simple it all is!