Irony

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2ff135707503c3af6b79249e29a8a5c0dbdb81d2/c=0-469-4569-3050&r=x329&c=580x326/local/-/media/2017/07/13/USATODAY/USATODAY/636355410870792127-AP-TRUMP-US-FRANCE-92343681.JPG

Macon in trying to get across to Trump about France's military might and heritage (in these days of Brexit), takes him to see Napoleon's tomb.......................... the one person who the British defeated militarily twice.

Original post

Member for

13 years

And then locked up !

Member for

12 years 8 months

I think you will find the Germans (OK, Prussians) played an indispensable part in the second defeat.in fact you could say that it was a European army that defeated Napoleon

Member for

13 years

You could write that but, as with most matters you'd be incorrect. Just prior to Waterloo, Blucher's Prussians had been badly beaten by Boney at the battle of Ligny; Blucher barely surviving and escaping.

The Battle was won by the unlimited stubbornness of the British infantry defending the strongpoints of Quatre Bras and Hougoumont.

"Wellington, The Years of the Sword" Elizabeth Longford. The Literary Guild.

Member for

17 years 6 months

You could see Trump in that shot saying to Macon, "Nice to see your wife has dressed in your military colours"

Member for

12 years 8 months

Sorry John, as usual you have shown a rather narrow view. There are alternatives:

Even Wellington, in his personal despatch after the battle.

The Britsh were even in a minority in their own army, there were more german, dutch and Irish troops.

"I should not do justice to my own feelings, or to Marshal Blücher and the Prussian army, if I did not attribute the successful result of this arduous day to the cordial and timely assistance I received from them. The operation of General Bülow upon the enemy's flank was a most decisive one; and, even if I had not found myself in a situation to make the attack which produced the final result, it would have forced the enemy to retire if his attacks should have failed.

Others agree, Peter Hofshroer for example:
It was Blücher's personal charisma and Gneisenau's organisational ability that had rejuvenated the previously defeated Prussian army. Their unexpectedly determined advance from Wavre to Plancenoit had attracted Napoleon's attention from early in the day, and deprived him of much of his vital infantry reserves, and it was the capture of the strongpoint at Plancenoit in the right rear of the French position that was the decisive final blow on Napoleon's wavering army. The Prussian intervention determined the result of the battle.

Actually of course, both narratives have merit, without the defence of Hougemont and Le Quatre Bras, there would have not been a position for the prussian corps to start the rout, but Without the Prussians, Wellington would not have won, he would have achieved a stalemate at best.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Didn't work out for their navy on numerous occasions though, did it?

Member for

13 years

Trekkie,

It probably comes down to one's point of view. My knowledge of this particular campaign does not make me inclined to ratchet up the contribution from GB's 'allies' at the expense of the British contribution.

On the other hand, your viewpoint is more than likely supportive of the 'allies' and dismissive of GB. 'Render unto Caesar.....'
The last nail was driven at La Haye Sainte when the French Immortals who had never known defeat were annihilated by resolute British infantry.

Member for

12 years 4 months

I think you will find that in 1815 the Irish were British , many including myself still are, Arthur Wellesley ( Duke of Wellington) was also Irish. Indeed I think members of the Irish Guards and RIR today would regard themselves as British as well as being Irish.

Member for

13 years

Absolutely agree !