18 years 2 months

Hi Bruce, hope this doesn't upset you...:rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/world/europe/nazi-guard-deported.html

Best regards

Mr BlueSky

Original post

Member for

15 years 10 months

No doubt Jeremy will leap to his defence.

Member for

24 years 2 months

None of it upsets me - I just don't think this is the right place for you to keep posting stuff to support your own political agenda. Looking at comments, I don't think I'm alone. Not that anyone reads very much on GD anymore, so its a bit like shouting into the wind.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Bruce,

You might not agree with it but, that is what happens on a General Discussion forum. Most of us when necessary play to a tune associated with our own political agenda.

GD is where we, or most of us, grind our axes. We build a head of steam then slowly disperse it with plenty of organised and occasionally disorganised, rant. Sometimes it is interesting and sometimes just a lot of boring puff.

To-day, I had a good look at all the forums. and it does seem as if the whole is dying. If it is, then it is due in no small part to the now and again, freely expressed, unenthusiastic opinions of the Moderators in trying to shape and modify the debate before the debate even starts.

Some of the Moderators do little to generate enthusiasm, quite the reverse. I imagine that busy forums attract advertising revenue, therefore robust argument should be encouraged. Yes, there will be excess, restraint is marked by its absence but at least the forums will be alive and with some of their former contentiousness, not on the point of death brought about by excessive caution - amongst other things.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Still the same old argument John.

I suggested some 2-3 years ago, and you were in on the conversation, that the forums were dying back. Gone are the days when we had three of four pages of new posts every day. We are at less than one on Historic now, and to be honest, I rarely do any moderating at all - the moderators forum has tumbleweed blowing through it, there is so little for us to discuss.

So, you can blame us all you like - as I said before, and its even more the case now, Facebook has taken over. If it were down to just moderation, there would be other forums that are bigger, better, stronger. Unless you can point them out to me, they just aren't there.

Oh, and there is virtually nothing left here on GD - A couple of threads that have been going forever, and Mr Blue Sky shouting into the wind. I'd like to think that without that sort of stuff, it would be a little busier, but I would be just deluding myself.

Member for

12 years 11 months

After that, I feel like putting a cold word processor to my head and pulling the trigger ! You might be right about Facebook, I know next to nothing about this medium so, have no opinion.

Despite the possibility of restraints from above, It would perhaps help to promote busier forums if the Mods were to be slightly more proactive. We used to hear quite frequently from The Cat and indeed from yourself when not wearing your Mod armour. Mod input was almost always thoughtful, occasionally anarchic and always left the pot satisfactorily stirred.

The amount of expertise and knowledge displayed on these forums has always been pretty first rate - there are exceptions. It would be rather sad to lose it.