Most beautiful cities in Europe?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

On the chance that I could be visiting one around September/October time,
what would you all say is your most beautiful/breathtaking/interesting city in Europe by experience? :)
Shall we say a top 5? :)
There are so many possibilities, it's hard to decide on one, need some help! :D

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

The best looking city in Europe is by far the following:

1. Athens - a ancient city filled with beautiful architecture and beautiful people. make sme jealous i'm not Greek.

2. Istanbul - i like the red roofing style and the mix of east and western architecture. They are good looking but some smell like George.

3. Vilnius - I personally been there not long ago. look for my pics if you do a search on this forum. Good thing them Russkis left :)

worst places

everything else. Especially everything in Britain bar Scotchland...

Member for

20 years 1 month

Especially everything in Britain bar Scotchland...

Nice omission there! :D

Member for

19 years 8 months

-objectively :D - Paris!
Firenze, Italia, is beautiful.
Athens, Greece

Member for

24 years 2 months

York

Brest (I never tire of looking at Brest)

Angers

Member for

24 years 2 months

Prague.
Barcelona.
Istanbul.
Rome.
And if you've seen too much beauty there:
Bucharest (and spend days on end in diskotekas listening to different flavours of Dragostea).

Member for

21 years

I've not travelled too much, but my favourite Cities are Edinburgh, and Krakow. Krakow is very special to me for a lot of reasons, but the actualy city itself is very clean, with a fair amount of beautiful architecture, and I really enjoyed my trip there:)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Helsinki is very nice.

But my real favourites are (no bias here :D )

1. Brussels - best food, best beer, nicest square (Grand Place), best monument (the Atomium - I never get tired of seeing it!)

2. Brugge (known to the British as "Bruges") - lovely old step-gabled buildings, pubs which serve the best beer in the world, nicest canals in the world.

3. Oudenaarde - the home of the best beer in the world.

4. Oostende (known to the British as "Ostend") - best seaside resort anywhere (that comes from someone who lives on the coast). Best plaice you can get here. Nice beers are also available.

5. Spa - in the Belgian Ardennes region, lovely wooded hills around here, great train ride between Verviers and Spa and gorgeous trout and chips at Les Relais restaurant.

After my 10 day visit in September I will probably be able to add Kortrijk, Tournai and Dinant, as well as Leuven to this list.

Sorry to Antwerp, Mechelen and Liege for missing out, but it did ask for five only! Not to mention Kortenberg.

Member for

24 years 2 months

On the chance that I could be visiting one around September/October time,
what would you all say is your most beautiful/breathtaking/interesting city in Europe by experience? :)
Shall we say a top 5? :)
There are so many possibilities, it's hard to decide on one, need some help! :D

Depends what you are looking for, but my top five are (in rendom order):

Paris
Barcelone
Florance
Grenada
Athens

Ok, I must mention Amsterdam as an outsider, but I have been there too much so I guess not being totaly objective about that anymore.

Member for

24 years 2 months

No specific order:
Gand
Paris
Vienne
Neuchatel
Dublin
Prague
Barcelona

Member for

24 years 2 months

York

Angers

I agree with you on York, had to say that as my mother is from Yorkshire and scares the mire out of me.

Is that the correct spelling, I never get tired looking at them either but I think we maybe at cross purposes?

Generally I don't like cities, too many people. I particularly hate London, can tolerate it for a day at the most and then I've got to get out into the country. The countryside is where the majority of the airfields are anyway and therefore aeroplanes.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Copenhagen
Stockholm
Barcelona
Paris
Zurich

Martin / Swiss Mustangs

Member for

20 years 8 months

Venice ;) ;) Anna ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

East Berlin in 1984 was interesting at 8pm in the evening, it was like a ghost town compared to the Western side.

Member for

20 years 8 months

York

Angers

You can always rely on Von Snapper :D :D :D Anna

Member for

20 years 7 months

Don't like cities at all even though I live on the outskirts of one. Too crowded for me I like it out in the sticks. Do smaller towns count? I like Ludlow in Shropshire and Shrewsbury. Monmouth is nice and in funny sort of way I have a particular soft spot for Aberystwyth and Llandudno but Ryhl is an armpit and I'm not too keen on Wrexham. But I don't like cities, horrible places. I've seen London, Paris, Berlin, Hanover, Hamburg and of course my own home town and many others and they all the same. They all suck. Except Edinburgh. Edinburgh is about as close to nice as any city gets for me. Birmingham is okay so long as you only see it from a distant hill. Then it looks green and pleasant, lots of open spaces, rivers, reseviors, parks, hills, canals. But its still a city and I don't like it much.

Member for

20 years

I've visited several, and I like Prague the most. As Comet said, you can also visit some (actualy all :rolleyes: ) cities in Belgium if you are interested in Beer! ;)

J.V.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Berlin and Prague. Amsterdam's great too, a living cartoon!

Member for

20 years 1 month

All these nice comments about Edinburgh! :D
Shame it's not really an option as I see it every day of my life! ;)

Top 3 currently are:

1=) Prague
1=) Barcelona
1=) Paris
2) Athens
3) Istanbul

Member for

20 years 8 months

I think mine would have to be Prague too. Lots of interesting bridges, amazing cathedrals and pubs! :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

I think mine would have to be Prague too. Lots of interesting bridges, amazing cathedrals and pubs! :D

That's another vote for Prague. Prague is now winning! :)
From the pics it looks an amazing place. Plus, the czechs could be in a particularly good mood if they win Euro2004! ;)