Wind energy...the way of the future or a menace ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 1 month

I am wondering...since here we see that 70% efficiency can be reached...why we still cling on to the propellers as a wind energy systems ?[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tvertical-axis-wind-turbine.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t85.2 KB ID:\t3862358","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3862358","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

15 years 1 month

1978 McDonnell Aircraft reached 51% efficiency with another H-darreius...called Giromill.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

I just want to inform you if interested that I have solved the problem of the actuators and also tested a two bladed prototype of this 50%+ efficient type machine.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"large","data-attachmentid":3862613}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

Best run at 60% efficiency. 50% better than the HAWT propellers.

Attachments
Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 1 month

Hi All,
Is there not a fundamental flaw with all these wind turbines at the moment ? In that all the energy they make cannot be stored and that is why you see some turbines for the most standing still, that being the case should the next move be better and bigger storage capacity designs ?

Personally I think they are a blot on the landscape especially when not doing the job they are meant to be doing.

Geoff.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Right Geoff....

I think it is time to move on to something more effective.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

Is the 61% efficient ANEW M-1 it ? This beats the propellors by 50% in efficiency.

Attachments

Member for

14 years 6 months

The only way humanity will progress is to use Nuclear followed by a complete farming of the energy from the sun.
So Nuclear is the only way until we can build a Dyson Sphere.
You may think this is extreme but it has already been demonstrated that you cannot build sufficient wind turbines to harness all our power needs, nor wave power.
There is also the law of diminishing returns. Wind turbine reliability and maintenance v cost v power. In other words when you have so many turbines the cost of maintenance will become prohibitive.
There is also the unsightly nature of them.
With the development of facilities that can recycle the waste from Nuclear power stations now coming online and the demonstrated reliability of new power stations I see that as the way forward.
Especially if we are serious about electric powered vehicles.

Member for

15 years 1 month

The only way humanity will progress is to use Nuclear followed by a complete farming of the energy from the sun.
So Nuclear is the only way until we can build a Dyson Sphere.
You may think this is extreme but it has already been demonstrated that you cannot build sufficient wind turbines to harness all our power needs, nor wave power.
There is also the law of diminishing returns. Wind turbine reliability and maintenance v cost v power. In other words when you have so many turbines the cost of maintenance will become prohibitive.
There is also the unsightly nature of them.
With the development of facilities that can recycle the waste from Nuclear power stations now coming online and the demonstrated reliability of new power stations I see that as the way forward.
Especially if we are serious about electric powered vehicles.

I partially agree.

H-Darreus/Giromill type wind turbines could be made long lasting and more efficient by many ways.

First electric generating wind turbine was made in Scotland in 1887 by James Blyth.

BTW: variable pith HAWT turned 100 years this year....invented by Vinding bros in Denmark.

Below also Aerogenerator-X displayed.

Attachments

Member for

5 years 5 months

And may the nuclear source be Thorium.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Wind could be a good source too..if someone wanted to take full advantage of it !

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

I just want to inform all you that I was able clock the TSR of 10.1 with my small test turbine in 10 m/s wind. Wings sustained over 100 Gs....and seemed to have no problem doing so.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 1 month

I actually checked again the g-force.

I have no idea why the wings didn't explode.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 4 months

A menace?
Hardly but...

Well, birds, including some protected raptors, have been known to get chopped up in the blades.

Also, a TV station reported that its broadcast signal was disrupted after a wind farm was built nearby.
They received some sort of settlement for upgrades and changes.
I don't know the science involved (perhaps the construction of the blades?), but it happened.

Aldo, the wealthy, liberal eco-friendly area of Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, successfully lobbied against an offshore wind farm in the basis of esthetics...so the old adage "not in my backyard" is alive even for progressive ideas.

I'm not against them, but I have seen some nice areas marred by them, so have a bit of a concern that they are being promoted (or pushed) by people who want the energy but don't want to pay the price...in the terms of degraded esthetics.

Member for

15 years 1 month

A menace?
Hardly but...

Well, birds, including some protected raptors, have been known to get chopped up in the blades.

Also, a TV station reported that its broadcast signal was disrupted after a wind farm was built nearby.
They received some sort of settlement for upgrades and changes.
I don't know the science involved (perhaps the construction of the blades?), but it happened.

Aldo, the wealthy, liberal eco-friendly area of Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts, successfully lobbied against an offshore wind farm in the basis of esthetics...so the old adage "not in my backyard" is alive even for progressive ideas.

I'm not against them, but I have seen some nice areas marred by them, so have a bit of a concern that they are being promoted (or pushed) by people who want the energy but don't want to pay the price...in the terms of degraded esthetics.

I am wonking on my third prototype of variable pitch H-Darreius..it ought to beat the HAWT props with a clear margin in efficiency...and simplicity..is also lower and quiet. It rews really high..TSR 3 at a low wind speed.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

Good work Topspeed. I've been meaning to have a go at a VAWT myself for many years. From my perspective the VAWT is the way to go as I live in an urbanish environment where I wouldn't be allowed to install a HAWT at a decent enough height to generate meaningful electricity.

WRT the aesthetics of wind farms, I lived in Germany for a fair few years and there they seem to have become an accepted part to the landscape. It is recognised that they are needed and are a more palatable solution than nuclear power.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Good work Topspeed. I've been meaning to have a go at a VAWT myself for many years. From my perspective the VAWT is the way to go as I live in an urbanish environment where I wouldn't be allowed to install a HAWT at a decent enough height to generate meaningful electricity.

WRT the aesthetics of wind farms, I lived in Germany for a fair few years and there they seem to have become an accepted part to the landscape. It is recognised that they are needed and are a more palatable solution than nuclear power.

Yes I am working on my third prototype.

Attachments