Bernard Manning dies age 76.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

BBC news has reported that veteran comedian, Bernard Manning has passed away at 76.
I can not say i was a fan of his racist or sexist act, I felt that was very much outdated but i am sure he had his fans.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

First item in his will is "Take my wife" ! :D

Member for

18 years 7 months

BBC news has reported that veteran comedian, Bernard Manning has passed away at 76.
I can not say i was a fan of his racist or sexist act, I felt that was very much outdated but i am sure he had his fans.

I once heard him on tv refute an accusation of racism by saying something along the lines of that his act cannot be considered racist as the jokes covered every race, creed ,colour and religeon - not just black people - and he said it with utter belief and conviction !!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I once heard him on tv refute an accusation of racism by saying something along the lines of that his act cannot be considered racist as the jokes covered every race, creed ,colour and religeon - not just black people - and he said it with utter belief and conviction !!

I saw that too, note he never made jokes about white working class people from the north of England though.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I saw that too, note he never made jokes about white working class people from the north of England though.

I wouldn't argue with you, but I think he may have done actually; seem to recall him making jokes about Mancs, Chavs and whatnot. Even so, there's no doubt he was racist, bigoted, ignorant, and archaic. He also made me laugh, even when I didn't want to.

Member for

24 years 2 months

One of the funniest Bernard Manning moments i ever saw was a repeat of an appearance on Parkinson(?), Esther Rantzen was appalled by his brand of humour and let him know, quick as a flash he came out with a risque joke, watching Parkinson(?) struggle manfully try not to erupt in to laughter was hilarious!!!

-Dazza

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'm glad I'm not bisexual. I couldn't stand being rejected by men as well as women.
Bernard Manning
RIP

Member for

16 years 9 months

Bernard

One of the best

Member for

18 years 9 months

One of the last of the old "stand-ups".

Definitely ending of an era, less politically correct in those days, thank God, but - yes - some of his stuff was on the line...& sometimes over it.

You pays your money...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Speaking personally, which is all any of us can do, I can't see anything to celebrate in Bernard Manning's career. As others have said he was nothing more than a racist bigot who by dint of his 'celebrity' (or should that be notoriety?) perpetuated and encouraged racism. He tailored his routines and his language to suit his audiences.

As a person? He may well have been a truly wonderful family man, sadly, his public persona has no relevance to today's multicultural society.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 2 months

A very funny man who will be sadly missed. Too many people got on their high horse about him. He didn't just target one group of people he targed them all including his own. PC has gone mad in this country and Mr Manning made a refreshing change to that. I for one will sadly miss his act.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It wasn't so much his bigotry that appalled me. One can ignore boorish, ugly people with little effort. There is, after all, always the remote control.

It was the fact he called himself a 'comedian', but he wasn't actually funny.

That's a fairly significant shortcoming.

Moggy

Member for

18 years 7 months

That's a fairly significant shortcoming

Albeit one that's based on nothing more than personal opinion, and I say that as someone with no great affection or hate for his act!

Paul

Member for

19 years 11 months

Mr Manning certainly was entitled to his opinions but, there again, so am I.

I didn't find him very funny, but that's partly a matter of personal taste and partly due to having already heard people come out with most of his material when I worked in the building trade.

The thing about him that repelled me wasn't so much that he was openly racist but that he took pride in it.

Member for

20 years 8 months

What a boost for the world of Stand up comedy. They've lost the one person I can think of likely to get the rest of them a bad reputation

Member for

18 years 7 months

It wasn't so much his bigotry that appalled me. One can ignore boorish, ugly people with little effort. There is, after all, always the remote control.

That's a fairly significant shortcoming.

Moggy

You may not like him, but he made millions of pounds from his comedy act, over many decades, playing to packed houses and very large TV audiences who appeared to be laughing all the way thru his act.

He was therefore, by any standard, a very,very funny comedian.

Even if he was racist.

Member for

24 years 2 months

You may not like him, but he made millions of pounds from his comedy act, over many decades, playing to packed houses and very large TV audiences who appeared to be laughing all the way thru his act.

He was therefore, by any standard, a very,very funny comedian.

Even if he was racist.

If you find the deliberate degradation, belittling and downright bullying of anyone on the grounds of their gender, race, religion or sexuality to be amusing, then perhaps you should reconsider your values, especially in light of the multicultural society in which you live?

Unless of course you're a fully paid up member of the BNP or Combat 18 et al.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

17 years 4 months

If you find the deliberate degradation, belittling and downright bullying of anyone on the grounds of their gender, race, religion or sexuality to be amusing, then perhaps you should reconsider your values, especially in light of the multicultural society in which you live?

Regards,

kev35

As a youngster from the North I grew up on Manning, but as I grew older his "Comedy" seemed less funny.That kind of humour is even more less funny when you loose your job because of people that have views like his so called comedy coz youre different. Kev you forgot one organization at the end, The Railways. Bex

Member for

18 years 7 months

Regards,

kev35

That isnt at all what i said - Moggy said he thought Bernard Manning wasnt funny as a comedian and i responded that clearly many thousands (millions ?) of people must have thought that he WAS, given the size of audience he regularly pulled in both on television and live, over many years.

In short, he WAS a highly succesfull comedien in terms of audience size and longevity of career - regardless of how people may now feel about his material in hindsight.

Personally, Kev35 i find it highly insulting that you have the nerve to presume what my values on a multi-cultural society are, based on that posting - i was discussing the impact that Bernard Manning had - it does not make me racist in any way - it certainly does not make me a member of the BNP

Or are you saying that mentioning his name makes me guilty by association? - perhaps you should consider your own values

Member for

20 years 8 months

He was only funny if you shared his bigoted racist ideas. He's gone, stand up comedy is better for his passing. Can we now drop the subject please?