What Book Are You Reading?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

I'm currently reading "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason, a very visceral real-life account of what it was like to fly Huey's in Vietnam.

I'm about half-way through and finding it a fascinating read, if you're like me and find the Vietnam war interesting because of the sheer amount of air power involved and you want a descriptive, captivating account from a guy who saw some serious action then I would definitely recommend this one!

I agree, Chickenhawk is a good book. They were making a movie of it and there was(is) a facebook page associated with it.

Member for

13 years

Wow, it would make a great movie done correctly! Good tip, I'll have to check that out...:cool:

Look at Casper Aviation Platoon on Facebook as well. The page started out as Chickenhawk and then they changed the name. It was on that page that they mentioned a film, but I don't see it anymore.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Theodore Roosevelt -An Autobiography.
The autobiography of America's greatest 20th century president...legislator, author, rancher, naturalist, hunter, explorer, police commissioner, asst. sec of the Navy, Governor, finally Vice President and President.

A true reformer, he accomplished a great deal without the demagoguery and illegal efforts (trying to pack the Supreme Court with cronies that would rubber stamp his agenda) that marked his later cousin's administration

The book was written 99 years ago is full of his thoughts on how to live an involved, honest life.
Real Boys Own stuff.

Member for

14 years 3 months

I'm currently reading "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason,

Some photos that weren't included in the book (well my copy) but add faces to the names.

Member for

13 years

Thanks for posting that link Inkworm, some of those pics are in my copy however there were plenty that weren't, very interesting!

Member for

18 years 3 months

For class in uni:
King Lear - William Shakespeare

For my free time:
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

Member for

18 years 7 months

Nothing as worthy as the above; "The Intimate Diary of a London Call Girl"

Member for

24 years 3 months

Reading "Jane Eyre" on the Kindle.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Freddie Mercury: his Life in His Own Words

Member for

16 years 1 month

N/F: Walking the Trail Jerry Ellis

Just finished N/F: The Executioner's Song Norman Mailer

Will read some fiction next.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just finishing By Tank by Ken Tout. It's only a slim volume but it has taken me a while to read it for the simple reason that I am relishing every single word. He paints the most fantastic pictures with words, so much so that I have savoured every single paragraph. Deserves to become a classic. That's the downstairs book.

Upstairs I am reading One Day in September by Simon Reeve which is a study of the Munich Olympic terror attack in 1972.

Next in the Queue is War in the Wilderness which is all about the Chindits.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

18 years 7 months

Just finishing "Charlotte Gray" by Sebastian Faulks. Found some of the scenes towards the end rather harrowing, but another superb book by the author.

Member for

12 years 6 months

'A Fall of Moondust', Arthur C Clarke. Have the 'Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak lined up. I bought my first graphic novel last month. I was wandering around Salts Mill in Bradford and came across a marvelous book by Shaun Tan called 'The Arrival', a surreal book about emigration. Not a word in it.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Have just finished (for the second time) The Upside of Trouble by Commander Anthony Shaw.
A fascinating story of his adventures in the RAF during the war and later as a Kings Messenger. An excellent book.
Have just started Loud and Clear by Iftach Spector, the memoirs of an Israeli fighter pilot. Lots of flying experiences during the Six day War of 68 and Yom Kippur war of 73.

Member for

18 years 1 month

From Freddie on to Soldier I, SAS.

Member for

20 years 8 months

One of the Led - Alan Oates

Given to me by a friend, this is her granddad's memoirs of being an RAF Spitfire pilot over the Med.

Amazingly, her granddad also flew Spitfire IX MJ730 at one point, which is still flying today!

Member for

17 years

The book I am reading.

I have just finished Legion of The Damned, by Sven Hassel. (George Allen and Unwin) A story of the sheer waste of German youth and man power towards the end of the war. Frightening!

Ken

Member for

16 years 6 months

reading on kindle

reading kittyhawk pilot. a real eye opener about flying in the dessert .well worth reading.