What Book Are You Reading?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Leave me out of this John. I know which side I am on. No fences for me.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Just been re reading 'Adventures in Aviation' by Kimball J Scribner
- He certainly had an unusual career,teaching himself to fly to solo in a cub at 16,became an airshow parachutist at 16 and developing a steerable canopy after breaking a car windscreen with his ribs at an airshow.He became a flying instructor before joining Pan American in 1941 - he eventually became chief pilot !
He was always a keen aerobatic pilot and at one time owned a P38 which he displayed,he was a keen glider pilot and flew large flying boats such as Coronado and Boeing 314 during WW2 :)

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Two chapters into ' Irish Sagas & Folk Tales by Eileen O'Faolain. A collection of classic tales from the folklore of Ireland.......;)
http://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/9781842232422-uk-300.jpg

Geoff.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Currently re reading 'Fifty Two years in the cockpit' by 'Jacko' Jackson - Bk 1 and 2
Halfway through 2nd book and he has progressed from Halton Apprentice to Belslow Captain (via a great many aircraft types)

Jacko was a real Gent,and no where near as scary as he looked in later years :)

Member for

11 years 5 months

Paul Cartledge's Democracy. Dense and heavy going in parts but extremely interesting.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hunting Eichmann by Neal Bascome...The story of how the Mosad (with help) found and abducted the infamous Nazi from Argentina in 1961.

It's a newer book so has previously unknown details.

It also serves as a biography of Eichmann and as such should remind people of how the Jews suffered not that long ago...something that too many are all too willing to forget today.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Do you really believe those last eleven words? I would have thought that we are never allowed to forget it from one month to the next.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Just started 'Stephen King's - The Tommy Knockers' 1988 edition. While walking in the woods near the small town of Haven, Maine, Roberta (Bobbi) Anderson, a writer of Wild West-themed fiction, stumbles upon a metal object that turns out to be a protrusion of a long-buried alien spacecraft. Once exposed, the spacecraft begins to release an invisible gas into the atmosphere that gradually transforms people into beings similar to the aliens who populated the ship. The transformation, or "becoming," provides them with a limited form of genius which makes them very inventive but does not provide any philosophical or ethical insight into their inventions. The spacecraft also prevents those affected by it from leaving town, provokes psychotic violence in some people, and causes the disappearance of a young boy, David Brown, whose older brother Hilly teleports him to the planet referred to as Altair 4 by the Havenites.

Three books in one but I enjoyed it over 500 pages....:eagerness:
http://malakoff.com/tommy1.jpg

Geoff.

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I am just starting M-Mother by Jenny Elmes the story of Dambuster Flt-Lt John Hoppy Hopgood.....:cool:

John Hopgood was one of the pilots of the 19 Lancaster bombers that took part in the Dambusters raid of May 1943. Wounded by flak and with his aircraft falling apart, "Hoppy" managed to gain height for two of his crew to parachute to safety. The plane crashed moments later, killing John and another two crew members still on board. Incredibly, at just 21 years of age, "Hoppy" was a veteran of 48 missions and 2nd in command of the raid—he actually taught Guy Gibson the finer points of flying a Lancaster! John's niece Jenny Elmes has put together the story from his diary and voluminous correspondence with her mother and his sister, Betty, and with his other sister Marna, who was in ATC.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_QQJDTjWRJxYmssOYd7TUNJ9f4J9D0ofqhUsjy3rHOD8M7qLi

Geoff.

Member for

7 years 8 months

I am readin the novel of Ahmet Umit. "A Momento From İstanbul."

Member for

16 years 9 months

Does proof-reading for the 20th time count?:) 'Without Precedent'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]246976[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Two chapters into 'Douglas Termans - First Strike' At an underground factory in Siberia, the Russians have made a replica of a U.S. Navy warhead. Soviet military planners review their ability to survive all-out nuclear war. The KGB selects as its target for high-level political subversion a vulnerable U.S. senator with presidential ambitions.
http://img0010.psstatic.com/106490198_amazoncom-first-strike-9780708818091-douglas-terman-.jpg

Geoff.

Member for

18 years 7 months

"Crying with Laughter" the autobiography of Bob Monkhouse. Bit of on odd one for me, because I didn't really like him as an entertainer. Thought some of his stuff was rather clever and he was undoubtedly a master of his craft, but the style was always a bit too slick for my taste. But after seeing a documentary on telly about him recently I realised there was much more to him than I ever knew. Beautifully written book, witty, insightful, and shockingly candid and frank at times.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]247188[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

18 years 5 months

Nearly finished Star Trek-Devils Bargain by Tony Daniel featuring Kirk and co

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Just starting 'The Sharp End Of The War' by John Ellis accounts from the fighting men of their training,living,fighting and ultimately death in all that life and the environment throws at them in all theatres of combat around the globe..............:cool:
https://www.artybees.co.nz/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/product_covers/17063_Ellis-John_The-Sharp-End-of-War---The-Fighting-Man-in.jpg

Geoff.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Eight Black Horses by Ed Mcbain

How about including pictures of our libraries? One of my future plans is to convert a room into a classic style library in which all my books are kept. Just as an example http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=home%20library&FORM=BILH1 (I am nowhere near my family house where my books are so it will be a while before I can take a pic)

Member for

18 years 5 months

Am also making my way through this. Great stuff!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247439[/ATTACH]

Attachments

[ATTACH=CONFIG]247452[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Just started 'Winter Ghosts by Kate Moss', By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage.

The Great War took much more than lives.It robbed a generation of friends, lovers and futures. In Freddie Watson's case, it took his beloved brother and, at times, his peace of mind. Unable to cope with his grief, Freddie has spent much of the time since in a sanatorium. In the winter of 1928, still seeking resolution, Freddie is travelling through the French Pyrenees - another region that has seen too much bloodshed over the years. During a snowstorm, his car spins off the mountain road. Shaken, he stumbles into the woods, emerging by a tiny village.

There he meets Fabrissa, a beautiful local woman, also mourning a lost generation. Over the course of one night, Fabrissa and Freddie share their stories of remembrance and loss. By the time dawn breaks, he will have stumbled across a tragic mystery that goes back through the centuries. By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51mKwLvZiPL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Geoff.