What Book Are You Reading?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 11 months

Murder of Rudolf Hess by Hugh Thomas

A very good read that certainly gives compelling evidence that the prisoner held in Spandau may not have been Hess at all.

Regards

Member for

16 years

Right now, I'm reading The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression, by Amity Shales. A very good book, but the first time - as a liberal observer of American politics - that I've read a book endorsed by Newt Gingrich.
Following that, A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House, by Arthur Schlesinger Jr.; a great liberal work.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Just started "Hostile Skies" by Dave Morgan.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Charlie Brooker The Hell Of It All. ;)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Perfect Confidence - Kelly Marks.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Centurion by Simon Scarrow.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Skyhook by John J Nance

Member for

20 years 7 months

Centurion has to take a rest for a while as I have just borrowed Armed Action by James Newton from a colleague and want to finish it by a week tomorrow night when I see him again.

Member for

15 years 8 months

I am reading all about Hurricane R4119 that was found in India, brought back to UK and is now flying again.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I think you mean R4118

Member for

15 years 8 months

Oh yes. My finger slipped. Thanks.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Captain Burkills '30 seconds to impact' book arrived yesterday so i'm currently reading that :)

Member for

19 years 4 months

James Stewart - Bomber Pilot.
Even more so than the celebrity part, it gives a good account of the way USAAF bomber groups and crews were formed and trained.

I've found that there are plenty of books about planes and missions, fewer about the behind the scenes work that made the missions possible.

Lots of nice detail about the 2nd AD as Stewart works his way from pilot to squadron commander, to operations officer to HQ staff. Keep in mind Stewart earned his posts, he enlisted before Pearl Harbor when he already had a civil license, then was assigned as a B-17 IP so he had a lot of experience before going overseas. It's said he also had a good rapport with the crews, a natural leader, soft spoken but very professional.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Planet of Exile, my first Ursula K LeGuin read!

Member for

16 years 7 months

Phoenix Squadron

Its a slow read (IMO) as its a lot of background on RN carrier ops in the late 60's and into the 70's but worth a look. Interesting statement that the FAA scored the first and last air to air kills of WW2 (Skuas Sept 1939, Seafires over Japan August 1945).

Member for

20 years 7 months

Just loaned that to the colleague I borrowed Armed Action from. I'm now back to reading Centurion alongside Immediate Response by Maj Mark Hammond RM.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Tattered Battlements by 'A Fighter Pilot'- it's a fighter pilot's account of the air battle for Malta. Just found my copy again so though it deserved another read. The book was printed July '43!

Member for

19 years 1 month

Tattered Battlements was I think written by Tim Johnston and subsequently updated to include the later war years.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Mine's definately the early version. I love the way it proudly proclaims it is "produced in complete conformity with authorised book production war economy standards".
Doing well for a nearly 70-year old book...

Would be interesting to get the later version too...

Member for

19 years 1 month

Yes I have 'soaring flight' by Terence Horsley - published 1944.Austerity quality but in very nice nick for its age.
some lovely photos of classic gliding...
inc some real winch launching :rolleyes:

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/gliderwinch.jpg

I did a lot of winch driving 1970- '94 but I would never have driven those 2 winches LOL