A couple of hours to spare..

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

...so i paid a visit into the airfield. Could'nt help admiring that Typhoon cockpit again, should really be part of an airframe now in my opinion. Spitfire MH434 was undergoing maintenance and what looked like u/c retraction tests. Shackleton MR3 has sadly suffered some ground handling damage to its starboard outer set of props... must of been some shunt to have bent them like that.
The Blenheim continues to come along nicely, and i could'nt resist taking a pic of the new short nose when in use as a car... and a pic of the old nose as it is slowly stripped of serviceable items. Did make me wonder though... what will become of it post restoration of the flyer. Make an interesting cockpit rebuild for someone to take along to cockpitfest ;).

Original post

Member for

14 years 10 months

The bent props on the Shack have been there for many a year, iirc they were damaged in the October storm of 1986 when the Varsity (the one that got scrapped) was blown into the Shack.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Do you know i have never noticed them before. Maybe because when she was outside there always seems to be something running out on the field to distract me.

Member for

18 years 2 months

...Make an interesting cockpit rebuild for someone to take along to cockpitfest ;).

Now there's a real challenge for you!! :D

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hunting down parts of mythical dragon is challenging enough thanks TO..;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

No, it was ARCo's Broussard that was blown into the Shack - 1987?

I understood that the Boly cockpit was to be rebuilt and retained, so that it could be swapped with the Mk 1 from time to time.

Bruce

Member for

14 years 10 months

Ah, thanks for the correction Bruce, I was going by my unreliable memory!

Member for

15 years 11 months

Nice pictures.

Member for

15 years 6 months

I can think of a nice length of Typhoon fuselage in Holland that would look terrific with that cockpit !

Member for

16 years 9 months

Correct on the Shack prop damage - it was not the October storm, we had a range of different issues around that time (Comet flap ripped off, Wessex blown into Dove etc) but the ARC Broussard jumped it's chocks, managed to leap the airside fence and wedged tail first into the props of the Shack. The Brou was flying again fairly quickly but the Shack damage? Well....

I was lucky enough to be sitting in the Mark I nose last Saturday, and as for the Mark IV nose, watch this space!

Member for

14 years 6 months

I can think of a nice length of Typhoon fuselage in Holland that would look terrific with that cockpit !

Or the many stalled Tempest II projects scattered around the UK that are gathering dust.
Cees

Member for

20 years 8 months

don't get me started....there could be another Typhoon if parts were gathered together :)

Member for

14 years 3 months

For a newbie, can anyone enlighten me as to the other Typhhon surviving parts that are suggested could make a complete Typhoon ?

Member for

14 years 3 months

Anyone ?

Member for

16 years 6 months

BMG, there are numerous Typhoon and Tempest projects on the go that are known of.. and possibly a few more that are still 'secret'. To list all the parts still surviving would be virtually impossible as some collectors don't like sharing such info.
But if you go to the search option and type in Typhoon, you may find some answers. ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I don't think they have any objection if that cockpit is going to Holland to be displayed together with the fuselage in their museum. I think it is a very nice gesture you made.

BW Roger

Member for

14 years 6 months

Now that would be a nice gesture indeed, when can we expect it to be delivered?
Woehaha:diablo:

I'll get me blanket.
Cees

Member for

18 years 10 months

I think the least they could do is hang the sectioned Sabre they have at Dx on the firewall of the Typhoon.... assuming there is a mount etc?

Member for

14 years 6 months

Not a complete mount by the looks of it, and a Sabre might be hard to get. Don't know if the IWM does have any Sabres in store?
Cees

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cees, there's a sectioned Sabre in a (large) display case upstairs in AirSpace. It would look better with a cockpit bolted to it.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Ooh yes please! :diablo: