Spitfire to be excavated near City of Derry airport

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi all.

It seems Steve Vizard and Gareth Jones are to visit Northern Ireland soon to try and excavate a 152 Squadron Spitfire which crashed near RAF Eglinton on 18 May 1942, piloted by Bill Creed. Does any one have anymore info on this? If it is excavated will it stay in a Northern Ireland museum or removed for the basis of a restoration depending on it's condition?

The serial number of the aircraft was BM557. I was also wondering what camouflage it would have had at the time and what it's individual aircraft letter was.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/Spitfire-hunters-return-to-Derry.6027435.jp

Original post

Member for

14 years 2 months

Hi all.

It seems Steve Vizard and Gareth Jones are to visit Northern Ireland soon to try and excavate a 152 Squadron Spitfire which crashed near RAF Eglinton on 18 May 1942, piloted by Bill Creed. Does any one have anymore info on this? If it is excavated will it stay in a Northern Ireland museum or removed for the basis of a restoration depending on it's condition?

The serial number of the aircraft was BM557. I was also wondering what camouflage it would have had at the time and what it's individual aircraft letter was.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/Spitfire-hunters-return-to-Derry.6027435.jp

Of course it won't stay in Northern Ireland, if they find substantial remains it will probably end up on the market for sale as an identity to put another new built Spitfire back in the air many of the recently found Spitfire wrecks have ended up this way, If you want it to stay in Northern Ireland you best get looking for it, there are some local groups over there that would I am sure be interested in it.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Well in that case let's hope it ends up OVER Northern Ireland then ! If the wreck stays in Northern Ireland it should go to the Ulster Aviation Society.

Unless I am mistaken, Northern Ireland remains part of the United Kingdom; ergo, a licence will be required under the Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 to recover this wreck if/when it is found. Once recovered it will no doubt be "gifted" by the MOD to the licence holder.

The point I would like to make is that I really don't quite understand what the issue is here. I don't have an axe to grind as I am not involved, and have not spoken to either of the two parties about it - although I do know both of them well. However, I know they have invested a great deal of time, effort and money thus far to try to find the thing. No doubt much more would be expended upon recovery. Clearly, if they succeed, and their work is sanctioned by the MOD and the landowner then it is up to the finder/recoverer to decide upon what happens to it once it is released to them by the MOD. Frankly, the fact that it is in Northern Ireland is immaterial, isn't it? Or is it the case that if you live in Essex you cannot go to Wiltshire, say, to recover a wreck and take it back to the former county??? Or am I missing something here? If it was researched, found, recovered etc by a Northern Ireland team then fair enough. But it hasn't been. That someone has come from another part of the UK to find it is neither here nor there.

Member for

24 years 3 months

First post whinger.

"There are two kinds of people in this world -- talkers and doers. Talkers talk about what they wish they would do, and doers shut up and do it. But doers also do one other very important thing: they actively avoid spending time with talkers."

Mark ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

First post whinger.

"There are two kinds of people in this world -- talkers and doers. Talkers talk about what they wish they would do, and doers shut up and do it. But doers also do one other very important thing: they actively avoid spending time with talkers."

Mark ;)

Ah is that why we never see you then ?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Thanks Tangmere!

Yes this would also comply under the PMA 1986, where ownership is still regarded as crown property so one can be assured that its not for sale as they might have a vested interest if a recovery was undertaken

You all appear to be sumwhat off the mark anyhow as the site has yet to be located which recent alterations to the airport are likely to have covered the site if reports are to considered accurate. however i would like to point out that i am sure there are many spitfires closer and easier to recover that this one especilly as several attemps by locals have already failed to find the site some 20 years ago.

This project was started a few years ago with the help of the local historian as it was one of our Welsh 53 OTU pilots posted to 152 squadron hence my interest, however with added support of the family its become more of a challenge than a recovery to locate a piece of their family history. If it was to be recovered many permissions would need to be sort where a display was intended to be placed on at the City of derry airport in memory of the aircrew that were lost flying from the squadron.

Gareth

Member for

20 years 6 months

As someone who is more into doing rather than talking, and having spent a great deal of my own time, money and years of research looking for aircraft, albeit underwater rather than burried in the ground, I've also had my share of armchair expert's opinions. There seems no shortage of people out there who have opinions about what should happen to an aircraft once it is recovered but very few who are actually willing to put the above said effort into finding it !! :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is getting a bit like the 'doers' talking about the 'talkers' - there are 'talker's and 'doers' and 'talkers' who talk about 'doers' and 'doers' who talk about 'doers' and 'talkers' who 'talk about 'talkers' -have I missed anyone out? Ah yeah the 'talkers' who are also 'doers' who talk about both!

Member for

17 years 11 months

Some superb 'back chat, on the forum today....good to air these things.....I'm more a 'doer' than a 'talker' in these matters and must back the 'doer' people, 'cause they produce results for us to 'talk' about.
Where the aircraft is cannot possibly determine where it should stay, unless the 'stayers' get there first.
If all the lost, then found, aircraft had to stay in the 'find' area, Kent would have one in every garden.
Even better, if it is found, recovered and eventually reaches a point of restoration for flying, isn't that what we on here, are all about.
It sometimes takes a lot of time, money ,heartache, and persistance to locate a crashed aircraft. Even more money and time to get it restored and possibly flying.
Those opportunities are becoming less and less, so good luck to Steve and Gareth, and if they make some (dirty word coming up) PROFIT !!! from the exercise, then remember too, that whoever restores it, will also probably take a future profit out of it.
We should all take the profit of satisfaction, that maybe another Spitfire will be handed on to a future generation, hopefully as keen and interested as we all are

Member for

18 years 10 months

First post whinger.

Mark ;)

*cough* tighar *cough* :D

Member for

18 years 3 months

I like talking, it's a hell of a lot easier than doing; so while I'm talking, good luck to those who invest their time and money in doing.

Even if it was recovered and went to a museum in NI, who's to say that it would stay there, it's value will not diminish with age, and one $pitfire buys quite a lot of other planes, buildings etc etc.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was just wondering whether there's a shop, a sort of Data Plates 'R Us, where you can go and buy a data plate, a couple of foot of twisted metal and half a dozen nuts and bolts that you can incorporate into your shiny new build Spitfire and call it original?

Regards,

kev35

Oh dear, Kev.....not the old data-plate chestnut again!!

Take cover everyone....!

Member for

24 years 3 months

They're making data plates out of chestnuts? :eek:

Regards,

kev35

Member for

17 years

I'll get me tin hat !!!!

why is it Spitfire's are done to death on DPS - you should look a bit further afield with another new build 'kit supplied warbird !!!!!!!!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was just wondering whether there's a shop, a sort of Data Plates 'R Us, where you can go and buy a data plate, a couple of foot of twisted metal and half a dozen nuts and bolts that you can incorporate into your shiny new build Spitfire and call it original?

Mark 12's shed?:diablo:
(it's Ok, Mark, I'm just stirring Kev up!)

Adrian

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mark 12's shed?:diablo:
(it's Ok, Mark, I'm just stirring Kev up!)

Adrian

It'll all be in the book. :)

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

The world's five most interesting sheds by Mark T Welve?

Regards,

kev35