Not Tempsford

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-02-02 AT 03:33 PM (GMT)]Just a little pic from my archives

Moggy
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c7cfc550c8480f1.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Not Tempsford

Duxford by any chance?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 2 months

Duxford, Flying Legends 1998...a sight I fear we shall never see again...3 Lysanders, a Blenheim and a Gladiator all flying together...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry to be picky, but only two of the Lysanders flew; the third one in the line-up was the IWMs static example. Nevertheless, not to be repeated following the sad demise of OO-SOT last year.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry to be picky Steve but...in 1998, the Lizzy then operated by the ARCO (now resident with Kermit Weeks in Florida), the Shuttleworth Lizzy, and the Sabena Old Timers Lizzy all took to the skies together at Duxford...

You are right though in that the Lizzy in the middle of the three in the picture is the IWM's static example...you would have thought that I'd recognise one of "my" planes wouldn't you? ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

When the 3 flew, did they get the static one parked up with them?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sadsack...no, I don't think they did...it would have been a fantastic sight to see 4 Lysanders parked together ;)

Sadly, I don't think some museums, Duxford included, give the Lysander enough recognition...personally had I been in charge of re-ordering Hanger 4 when they did the Battle of Britain exhibition, I would have put the Lysander in that exhibition as it took part in the Battle of France...which in turn paved the way for the Battle of Britain...I would have put the Meteor in the other half of Hanger 4 which is designated "The Air Defence of Britain"...the Meteor as we all well know being the first British jet to enter service with the RAF...

When I'm Director of Duxford...we'll see...~grins~ ;) ;) ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

i'm a bit disapointed with Duxfords Battle of Britain exhibition. It would be OK for a small museum, but considering the strengths Duxford have gone to with the AAM and land warfare hall, it all looks a bit tame. The Jets are obviously out of place, and surely the support aircraft should get a look in (allthough the Magister and Anson are both in H5)

i'd have liked to see that Hurricane parked up with the others at last years legends - a sight that would have been irreplacable.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not meaning to nitpick, but I think Hangar 4 is themed as 'The Air Defence of Great Britain' (Ashley - please correct me if I'm wrong), in which case, I think they've got the overall content about right. The only exhibit in there which I don't think really fits is the CF-100. Everything else runs through quite nicely chronologically speaking, and it's interesting to see the way RAF fighter aircraft have developed since the war.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Steve...yes you are right...the south side of Hanger 4 is the Battle of Britain Exhibition, the south side is the Air Defence of Britain :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Here's a pic of all three Lysanders plus the Gladiator and Blenheim. A sight never to be repeated.

I'm glad the Duxford Lizzie is painted as Hugh Verity's aircraft. Reading his book makes you realise what amazing pilots they were in those days, pinpointing fields in France with none of the navigation aids we've got now to keep us out of trouble.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c81e57b06de0b66.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

It makes you wonder why Kermit bought a Lysander which he's done nothing with, and bought the Avro roter which is now stuck on sticks.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sadsack...hear hear...I dream of winning the lottery one day and bringing that Lysander back home where she belongs...;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Is it me Yakrider?

I can't see three Lysanders in your pic.

Is this some new form of 'Spot The Lizzie' competition? What's the prize?

Why hasn't anybody else noticed?

Really confused now.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Moggy, move the picture over to the left & you'll find another Lizzie.

Neilly

Member for

24 years 2 months

>Moggy, move the picture over to the left & you'll find
>another Lizzie.
>
>Neilly

Doh!

:-(

Mogs

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm glad it was a Lizzie, 'cos if it wasn't the shrink would've had a field day with that jam stain!!!:+

Neilly

Member for

24 years 2 months

Anyone interested in a Lizzie story from SEAC?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-03-02 AT 02:31 PM (GMT)]With the fullest respect to what the Lysander achieved in Europe, anyone interested in a little Lizzie story from the theatre of the Forgotten Air Force?

During the early part of WW2 in Burma, No 1 Squadron of the Indian Air Force flew Lysanders (this being one of the few types available to them) in just about every role imaginable -- they used them for Army co-op, transport support, tactical recce, and even as light bombers. While returning from one sortie K K "Jumbo" Majumdar (not sure of his rank at the time, but he made Wing Commander, DFC and Bar, later) spotted what he was convinced was a Japanese airstrip, hacked out of the jungle. He reported it to the Intelligence Officer on his return. The IO refused to believe it, so Jumbo invited him for a ride in the rear seat of his Lizzie, to see for himself. Once over the suspected airstrip again, Jumbo pointed it out to his passenger.

"Not sure that's an airstrip," the IO, in the manner of IOs everywhere, was still negative. "Don't think it's straight enough for an aircraft to land on."

"Oh no?" Whereupon Jumbo pulled his Lizzie over, went down to zero feet agl, rolled his wheels along the suspected airstrip for a few seconds, and then pulled up again.

"OK, OK, you win -- it's an airstrip!!" the IO is said to have yelled.

Landing on an enemy airstrip must be a tribute to the Lizzie's short field performance, at least -- among other things!

Regards,

Snoopy

PS: Any particular reason why the IWM's static Lysander, in Moggy's opening picture, has undercarriage spats a bit different from the other aircraft?

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Anyone interested in a Lizzie story from SEAC?

Nice story Snoopy. :-)

>PS: Any particular reason why the IWM's static Lysander, in
>Moggy's opening picture, has undercarriage spats a bit
>different from the other aircraft?

Sometimes wheelspats are removed for operations from particularly muddy fields, otherwise they fill with mud adding weight and servicing / checking problems.

Don't know for sure if this is the answer in the case of the Lizzie though.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Lysander spats

Thanks, Moggy; makes perfect sense. Only remaining thought is, Why on a static example? Ashley??

Regards,

Snoopy

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Lysander spats

Well Snoopy...the only thing I can think of, is that the IWM aircraft has been restored to represent Hugh Verity's Lysander (as already mentioned!), and I presume that attempts have been made to make it as true to Hugh's aircraft as possible...I believe that the aircraft is a Canadian built example restored by the Aircraft Restoration Company...can anyone else confirm/tell me otherwise please?