B17 Pink Lady

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

Guys

There are rumblings over on WIX that the French based B17 has landed at La ferte. No official word as yet but apparentley the runway is long enough to land on but not to take off on. Any truth in this or is it a temp move for the winter?

Original post

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hmm.. well winters nearly at an end so i'd be surprised at that one. I have seen Sally B land quite comfortably on the grass at Dx, but i don't ever recall her taking off from the grass. Anyone know the respective grass runway lengths for Duxford and La Ferte.?

Member for

17 years 6 months

There has been rumblings that she is to become a Museum exhibit for a couple of years now, something to do with lack of people to take over the reigns of maintaining and flying her, Dont know whether that is why shes there now.

Member for

18 years 2 months

The french guy at Legends rambled on about it for the entire weekend of 2008. I was surprised to see her again in 2009, considering the amount of time spent talking about her being "put to rest".

Member for

17 years 1 month

The french guy at Legends rambled on about it for the entire weekend of 2008. I was surprised to see her again in 2009, considering the amount of time spent talking about her being "put to rest".

Didnt he just! But then as you say it returned. Hoping that bloody French guy Melv is not commentating at next Legends, but you can guarantee he will be there to talk over everything again!! Pink Lady can come back though of course:D

Member for

14 years 2 months

There were talking about to ground her since a little time now. Several factors have played: Costs. Insurance is the same price than for an airliner as this is based on the weight of the plane... one another factor was the state of the plane that needed more than a general overhaul.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Sentiments aside this B-17G flew 5 missions with the 351st from Polebrook and then transferred to the 305th BG at Chelveston in 1945 . It is a real 8th Air Force machine and deserves all the attention it can get. I do hope it will not be grounded permanently.

Member for

17 years 3 months

Did the crew of Pink Lady ever consider setting up a suppporters club like Sally B and The Fighter Collection?

Member for

18 years 7 months

so no official word yet? Whats the name of the french guy who always posts those amazing pics from La Ferte Alais?

Member for

21 years

Just heard from my French correspondent that she will arrive at LFA tomorrow for her final landing.

Shame, the nicest B-17 around IMHO.

Member for

14 years 2 months

:( sad news.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What a shame, but unsurprising in the current financial climate :(

That just leaves one, well this side of the pond anyway. The only bright side is that the aircrafts future is secure, and I guess it's possible that Sally's spares situation may improve???

Willow

Member for

16 years 4 months

Oh, for goodness sake!- why can't they sell it? There must be someone who would be prepared to take on a WW2 veteran B-17!

Member for

18 years 2 months

Oh, for goodness sake!- why can't they sell it? There must be someone who would be prepared to take on a WW2 veteran B-17!

I was thinking the same thing...

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

albeit one that needs a major overhaul. ie an American collector. Would we rather she flew in the states, or was static over here? I'm not sure.

Member for

18 years 2 months

In that case. I always want airplanes flying. Shouldn't even be a discussion. So it won't be here, but it will be flying. Airplanes are meant to fly, not sit on the ground collecting dust.

Member for

19 years 4 months

In that case. I always want airplanes flying. Shouldn't even be a discussion. So it won't be here, but it will be flying. Airplanes are meant to fly, not sit on the ground collecting dust.

So when are you going to write the cheque then?

It's always easy to talk, when it's somebody else's money EH?

I always appreciate it when sensible and realistic considerations are included in any discussion!

Bomberboy

Member for

14 years 6 months

Perhaps something similar as East Kirkby could be established. A taxying B17 would be more of a crowd puller instead of a static example.
Cees

Member for

20 years 7 months

:( How well advertised for sale was she?
First we hear of it is by word of mouth on an aviation enthusiasts forum,after the event.
I wonder if they would rather keep her grounded in France than sell her abroad.

Member for

21 years

:( How well advertised for sale was she?
First we hear of it is by word of mouth on an aviation enthusiasts forum,after the event.
I wonder if they would rather keep her grounded in France than sell her abroad.

It wasn't advertised for sale as they had no intention of it being sold and you are right in that their preference was to keep it grounded in France rather than let any one else try and operate it elsewhere.

Member for

20 years 7 months

:( Oh well,that answers that then,shame really.So if anyone had been available to keep her in the air it wasn't going to happen.
Was the landing a final one? i have never been there or could they fly her out in the future if someone did persuade them to refly.